Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find an answer to this on the forum. It's a real quickie.

How many rear fog lights does the V40 R-Design Lux have? There are two red light clusters on the lower bumper and only one lights up. I'm assuming there should only be one but as I am new to Volvo I just want to make sure.

My Alfa had two rear fogs and was fond of telling me that one was not working even if it was. It should have had a warning light t tell me that the fog light warning light was faulty!

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Cross Country similarly has two bumper mounted fog lights, with only one being operational; seems to be a trend amongst manufactures to penny pinch in this area (of safety), our other VAG group car is the same.

Ed875

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad you bought this up actually as I was going to check something myself at the weekend but didn't get chance. My UK 2015MY R-Design Lux has a single off-side fog light, however last week I was passed by a V40 with both Fog lights lit - with the lower mounting of the V40 fogs I think that 2 were more effective and not likely to be confused with brake lights.

I really must have a look to see where the fixings are located to see how easy it is to add the nearside.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Glad you bought this up actually as I was going to check something myself at the weekend but didn't get chance. My UK 2015MY R-Design Lux has a single off-side fog light, however last week I was passed by a V40 with both Fog lights lit - with the lower mounting of the V40 fogs I think that 2 were more effective and not likely to be confused with brake lights.

I really must have a look to see where the fixings are located to see how easy it is to add the nearside.
My MY13 R Design has both fitted - you can see the bumper wiring loom going tp both of them in this picture from when I was retrofitting Rear Park Assist:

They are still there on the MY14 and early MY15 EWD, but the current MY15 EWD shows only one fitted, and it changes sides depending on if the car is LHD or RHD (Right for RHD, Left for RHD), so I suspect it's another victim of the MY15 cost reduction exercise.

On the pre-MY15 cars with 2 foglights, they are driven from 2 separate outputs from the CEM (which presumably allows it to do bulb failure current monitoring) and there are 2 separate feeds into the rear bumper loom, via pins 5 and 9 on the 16-way connector behind the right rear corner of the bumper (the larger of the 2 connectors in this picture):

The second feed to this connector (the LH or RH one, depending on what your car is) from the CEM multiplug is no longer included in the floor wiring harness, and if it was there the CEM would probably still need to be reprogrammed to activate the output to drive it,, so even if you get an pre-MY15 bumper loom with both bulb holders it still won't work the light.

You could try and splice both power feed wires in the bumper loom together (both power wires should be Brown/Green, and both the ground wires should be Black/Green, going to pin 1 of the 16-way connector), but this may affect the bulb failure monitoring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My MY15 (feb 2015) have only one rear fog light, that's a LH one and the light is on the left also. I find it is a shame that there is only one.
But too many work to connect a second one, and don't know if it's work :(

·
Registered
729 Posts
I prefer a single fog light in the back.
Doesn't look like somebody is braking that way...

As for front fogs, I think I don't even have those, just the led running lights and normal lights in the R-design bumper...

·
Registered
395 Posts
My D2 has two rear high-intensity lights. However, I would be more than happy if cars had none as it seems that most drivers do not know how to use them and when you come up behind them they leave them on. Why don't people switch them off when there is a car behind?? It's not as if you cant see them!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I may be complete wrong, but in the UK I thought it was advised that you only have 1 to make it not look like a second set of lights/another car?
sadly I thought that to but seems you can have two but I agree one is more easily recognised as a fog light.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bumping an old thread back to life here.

My 2017 R-Design only illuminates the O/S (right) fog lamp. The N/S (left) lamp does not illuminate, yet strangely is actually fitted with a bulb!

I don't want to just McGyver it by running a wire from O/S to N/S to make the N/S one work in case it damages something without checking: Has anyone done this before?

-T

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 92 Reg 850 GLT only had one rear fog light, even thought the bulb holder and wiring was present.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine has 2 fog lights.
Only used them once, just to see if they worked !!
Think they are a pain.
I have never followed a car that has had them switched on, and then switched them off when i have appeared in their mirror.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think 2 are better, it gives someone approaching from behind some idea of scale/perspective/distance.

Reactions: Teribus

·
Registered
9 Posts
En mi caso viene equipado con el portalámparas y cableado lo que no trae es la bombilla, no se si poniendo una dará luz o tal vez es una ilusión mía....
Saludos

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bumping a old thread back to life my V40 R DESIGN LUX my 15 has 2 rear fog lights but only the right one works checking it out the left hand side doesn't have a bulb in is it a legalrequirement in uk for both of them to work as I was checking all lights work ready for the mot?:unsure:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts