Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone else have a hum/buzz high pitch sound coming from the engine bay when the ignition is switched on. SE Lux D3, ABL etc. also the abl make alot of noise when moving does everybody elses? when the engines off dont notice when running, probably electrical noises

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am not sure if I can help.

I have two bits of information that may or may not be related. Once I switch of the ignition I can hear a humming whirring sound. I think it is the air vents being opened / closed. This noise does stop after about 30 seconds though.
I previously owend an Alfa with auto leveling headlights. It had a little electric motor that adjusted the headlights and constantlymade a high pitched noise traying to adjust and even interfered with the FM radio. I replaceed the motor unit (gears stripped) and the noise stoped and the radio interference also stopped.

I have not noticed a noise when the bending lights are busy "bending" :). I've tested it in the garage at night to see how the light direction changes and all I can hear are the tyres moving on the floor and maybe the steering mechanism.

Good luck in finding the cause of the problem, I'm sure someone else will have better information for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Once I switch of the ignition I can hear a humming whirring sound. I think it is the air vents being opened / closed. This noise does stop after about 30 seconds though.
Sorry for dredging this up again...but I also notice this whining/whirring/ high pitch sound when switching the ignition off...it stays there whining away for the better part of a minute and the subsides....

I assume this is normal as you guys also hear this!?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
wouldn't that be the cooling system making sure the turbo's cool down ??
I can't say for certain (I'm about 3500 miles from my car to check) but it's most probably the electric water pump running on to cool the engine down gradually

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Car has electric water pump? I didnt know that!
It's more efficient to drive the pump electrically than via a belt or gears. It also allows the combustion chamber temperature to be controlled more precisely (which again aids efficiency) as the coolant flow is no longer related to engine speed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
And presumably means you can position it anywhere around the engine - giving you quite a bit of flexibility for engine design etc...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the explanation,.. i didnt know our v40 has electric water pump.. maybe depends on diesel/petrol?
Btw.. my d3 engine 2016 has the same sound after turn off,.. but i dont know if this sound comes up everytime..

·
Registered
175 Posts
I will see if I can see something in Vida about it. I have also heard it, but not bothered. It may be the Bi-Xenon power pack, as it is High Voltage. You can hear the same sound, when the car is switched completely off, key out, and you pull the stalk for brights (high beam). As it will stay on for a few seconds, then you also hear such a high pitched sound.

Please compare the 2 you are hearing and let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did anyone get any conclusive root cause on this?
My car is just back from it's service and makes this noise.

I noticed it when I unlocked it this evening. Then again when I turned the car off.
It's quite unnerving because it ties in with coming back from the service.

After some more attempts to repeat, it occurs at the NS of the engine bay, approx near the battery area.
(5pot D4 - 2013)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having just discovered this thread, I've been out across my drive and attempted to see if any of my ever growing fleet of Volvos' do this (currently at 4).

I can report that my 2009 V70 D5 AWD does make a high pitch noise when unlocked and after switching off ignition but it stops after 30 seconds or so. As for my two V40's there are different results - my 2015 D3 5 pot does the same thing but as for my 2017 D4 VEA it is silent through out. I didn't bother to test my V60 as I got too cold and also was being watched by a neighbour, so retreated for the house.

I wonder if this is just a common thing on 5 cyl engine as that seems to be the recurring theme on my drive anyway, must add that I've had no issues with either of my 5 Cyl engines and my V70 is at 130,000 miles and has just returned from dealer service with a clean bill of health

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm jealous of your fleet ? , but I appreciate you checking.
I'm fairly at ease over the noise although it's intermittent.
- Mine is not long back from its service with a few advisory items.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this the sound you were hearing?

I went for a 5min drive to pick up my son, parked, turned off ignition, went inside for 5min, drove 5 min back.
(all this one was going 40km/h or less because our daycare is in the neighbourhood.)

Parked, turned off ignition, heard this constant beeeeeeeeeeep.
I had enough time to notice the sound, and take a video so I'd assume it was going on for at least a minute if not longer.
Also weird that when the beeping stops it sounds like an electrical contact opened to make it stop.

See video with sound below.

Also with engine running shortly after, almost an unusual chattering.
https://youtu.be/p6rUiZ57abM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts