Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anybody else having issues with this?

It doesn't light up most of the time and when it does it is in daylight hours. I can't find anything in the manual that refers to it so back to the dealer I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
153 Posts
definitely a problem not seen before! I've just checked mine, it's on now while the lights are off so I think it should be on permanently.

Interestingly I did a google search on 'volvo v40 illuminated gear knob' hoping to find an answer and your post on this forum came up 4th on the list, behind Volvo, Autoexpress and Autotrader.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you tried using the thumbwheel on the light switch panel to increase the brightness of the lighting?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike said:
Have you tried using the thumbwheel on the light switch panel to increase the brightness of the lighting?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
Yes I have tried everything. My understanding is that it should be on permanently. However, it lights up without fail in daylight hours but when darkness falls... Nothing, no matter what I do to the light settings.

I have booked it back in to the dealers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[hr]
London_2012 said:
definitely a problem not seen before! I've just checked mine, it's on now while the lights are off so I think it should be on permanently.

Interestingly I did a google search on 'volvo v40 illuminated gear knob' hoping to find an answer and your post on this forum came up 4th on the list, behind Volvo, Autoexpress and Autotrader.
Haha! Yes, I did the same and it would have made me chuckle had it not been so frustrating to have a niggly fault less than one week in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. I just got my v40 t5 cc this weekend. I love it. My gear knob is also not illuminating. Did your dealer solve the problem?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hmmmmm... Are you all MY14 model owners?
I remember a thread on here about the gear knob being a possible distraction. Has Volvo made changes so the knob is lit only in daylight hours in the MY14s.
Any other MY14 owners have theirs on all the time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My V40 MY14 has the illuminating gearknob and it responds to the light dimmer wheel.
In daylight it's fully on and when it goes dark it automatically dimmes down with the rest of the dash and instruments.

I have the manual, if that would play in for some reason:-/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. My gear-knob lighting does not come on at all ( Day or night) The dealer that I bought it from said it could possibly be a software problem. I am going to try and take it back as soon as I can. I will give feedback.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine simply does not have an illuminated gearshift at all, even though it is standard on the R-Design :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
The light up knob is so cheesy, lets face it do you really need it to light up, how did you manage to drive without it on previous cars.

As posted above the knob seems to dim when the dash turns to night mode.

What winds me up more is the auto lights come on (so it must think it is dark) but the dash does not go in to night mode (dimmed dash and nv in to different colour mode) until it gets darker still but then sometimes soon after it has darkedn it will pop back in to daylight mode (if that makes sense)

Is there a setting to alter the sensitivity?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Don't know about the knob being cheesy. Subtle is how I describe it. I like it. I think it's a nice touch which I find typical of the v40. Small details which add up to give a very good overall appearance. :)

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Mine is also always on.

Amazing how people have different issues on their cars. Some with electrical issues, mine all "mechanical", so I think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine is illuminated, but not 3D. It doesn't I highlight the great selection either. think that was dropped for my14. I have an auto r design

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

My V40, produced in April'2013 (D3, Lux, Geartronic), isn't showing any light in the the "illuminated" gear knob. I haven't taken it at any moment to the garage (so, no updates of any type from Volvo), and although I don't remember it very clear, my girlfriend says that it was illuminated in the past, definetly.
Any updates on this? I have tried everything, but the light is just dead.
Should the warranty cover this?
Cheers,
J.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As posted above the knob seems to dim when the dash turns t
What winds me up more is the auto lights come on (so it must think it is dark) but the dash does not go in to night mode (dimmed dash and nv in to different colour mode) until it gets darker still but then sometimes soon after it has darkedn it will pop back in to daylight mode (if that makes sense)

Is there a setting to alter the sensitivity?
Yeah, this bothers me too. Day mode in the dash is far too bright for overcast autumnal mornings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Uhm, I am thinking: As my problem is that in the past it worked, and not it doesn't (at all), could that be a fuse problem?
If so, anyone knows which fuse number is that? I can't find it in the manual. I guess it's because this is an extra.
Cheers,
J.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our car, just over a week old not noticeably illuminated during the day, lights up with lights on and is noticeable at night.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Should the complete gear Knob illuminate? on my R-Design only half the knob is illuminated at any given time. Is that normal?
Pics or it didn't happen

lol - just kidding :wink2:

Which one do you have? Attached is mine in the day + night - the numbers should be lit up but nothing else (on this knob), i understand the earlier one was different

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
24 Participants
ascrew13
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing