Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question that has probably been asked already, so sorry for repeating.

How is the gear knob illuminated on the R-Design ?

Is it done from within the gear knob or part of the theater lighting shining down on to it ?

·
Registered
942 Posts
It's lit from within the gearnob.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
I only asked because my previous car had an "illuminated gear knob", which was basically a small white LED that shone down from the headlining onto the gear knob, it was useless if I'm honest.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The original type of gearknob worked as a light pipe - there were two LEDs shining into the edge of the clear plastic at the base, and the light would then escape everywhere there was an edge (like the edges of the numerals, gate pattern and knurled edge that were moulded in the back of the plastic). There was a mirrored surface behind to help reflect the light outwards:

Is this the current manual gearknob?

This will be made of 2 types of plastic - a translucent white inner which then has the black outer moulded or cast over it. The LEDs in this case are under the white inner plastic, which acts as a diffuser.

On the older one at least, the LED brightness is linked to the footwell and dash illumination adjustment.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yep, that second picture is what we have in a MY15 car. And the brightness is still adjusted with the other lights.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can the colour of light in the gear knob be altered like the cabin theater lighting ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
No, it just glows a very dull white.
Its a shame as i much prefer the older style one that has actual colored LED lights in it. Marketing this a illuminated gear stick is a bit of a cop out. But the theatre lighting is ace and the car drives so good that im not that fussed anymore :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
No, it just glows a very dull white.
Its a shame as i much prefer the older style one that has actual colored LED lights in it.
The old manual knob only has while LEDs too - only the automatic one had the coloured LED strip in it that showed what position it was in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The original type of gearknob worked as a light pipe - there were two LEDs shining into the edge of the clear plastic at the base, and the light would then escape everywhere there was an edge (like the edges of the numerals, gate pattern and knurled edge that were moulded in the back of the plastic). There was a mirrored surface behind to help reflect the light outwards:

Is this the current manual gearknob?

This will be made of 2 types of plastic - a translucent white inner which then has the black outer moulded or cast over it. The LEDs in this case are under the white inner plastic, which acts as a diffuser.

On the older one at least, the LED brightness is linked to the footwell and dash illumination adjustment.
hi, what is part number this gearknob?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts