Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new Volvo owner having acquired a V40 D2 last week. It's a 2013 model and was bought from a second hand dealership. All was fantastic until a couple of days ago when the infotainment centre panel suddenly went off. No climate control, no buttons or dials working and no temp info on the screen. Although I can use button on the steering wheel to navigate through the screen for radio, Bluetooth etc, I have no demisters or climate. All fuses checked and are fine and car is under a 6 month warranty. The dealership told me to take it to a local garage and they would pay for it under the warranty, but as soon as I spoke to a Swedish car servicing, they told me to take it to a Volvo dealership as they can't touch the infotainment system due to the security features. It's now booked in at a Volvo dealership.
Does anyone know what might of caused this problem and is it a common fault with these cars?
Thank you for any help

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, seems like a loose connection or a software problem, hopefully its something they can fix with software or wiggling a connector! Best of look!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I'm not so sure - if it was a loose connector (typically the MOST Bus fibre connection to the AUD amp module under the seat or the ICM screen in the dash) all the audio network components shut down and you are left with a black screen with only the climate display along the bottom. In this case it sounds the the audio system is still working but the ICM (Infotainment Control Module - the module that runs the screen and buttons in the floating console) is not working. It can't be completely dead otherwise the MOST Bus security would have shut everything down (the ICM constant polls all the other audio modules asking for their serial numbers - if it gets no response or one it doesn't know it shuts the MOST Bus down, disabling the audio system).

My guess is that part of the internal power supply in the ICM has failed - enough of it is working to keep the MOST Bus active ans respond to the steering wheel controls over the CAN network, but the part that runs the screen and buttons has failed. If that's the case, it's not likely to be cheap (a replacement ICM is around £1k including fitting) but hopefully your warranty with the used car dealer will cover it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying.
Took it to the Volvo dealership this morning and the CCM has an internal fault so the whole unit needs replacing. Cost £835. All covered by warranty so goes in next week to be done. On the plus side, the health check they gave the car came up with no other problem either electronically or mechanically plus a courtesy car when the work is carried out. Happy days.
Thanks again guys for your input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for replying.
Took it to the Volvo dealership this morning and the CCM has an internal fault so the whole unit needs replacing. Cost £835. All covered by warranty so goes in next week to be done. On the plus side, the health check they gave the car came up with no other problem either electronically or mechanically plus a courtesy car when the work is carried out. Happy days.
Thanks again guys for your input.
Hi , I recently bought a v40 2013 ,and same thing happend ,now I'm stuck cz got no warranty , anyway , my climate controls still work , and screen shows it , but cant run radio, media or bluetooth . Only the power button and climate controls work. Now question is did u replace the whole unit with the controls on or was it something else, plz help cz I don't want buy the control panel and it doesn't work .?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!
I also recently bought a Volvo v40 2014, and I have the same problem as you but my climates do not work. A week after it has failed it came back to life for an hour and then it died again. Does anyone knows what my problem could be? I do not want to take it to Volvo because I have no warranty and the display is powering on and of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did have the same issue with my 2017 V40. I actually managed to solve it by restarting the infotainment system - hold the button for volume down and the shut down button. After that it restarted and everything was ok. seems like a software glitch or something of this kind.

BR
G

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did have the same issue with my 2017 V40. I actually managed to solve it by restarting the infotainment system - hold the button for volume down and the shut down button. After that it restarted and everything was ok. seems like a software glitch or something of this kind.

BR
G
Do you mean the volume down button on the steering wheel and the shut down button on the round knob on the upper left of the middle console?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi , I recently bought a v40 2013 ,and same thing happend ,now I'm stuck cz got no warranty , anyway , my climate controls still work , and screen shows it , but cant run radio, media or bluetooth . Only the power button and climate controls work. Now question is did u replace the whole unit with the controls on or was it something else, plz help cz I don't want buy the control panel and it doesn't work .?
I have the same problem…
Did you fix your car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!
I also recently bought a Volvo v40 2014, and I have the same problem as you but my climates do not work. A week after it has failed it came back to life for an hour and then it died again. Does anyone knows what my problem could be? I do not want to take it to Volvo because I have no warranty and the display is powering on and of.
I have the exact same problem. Also came on and went off twice. Did you ever find the problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts

BR
G
Thank you so much.
I have a V40 CC 2015
Just holding down the VOL button for 5 secs solved my infotainment blank screen issue. Didnt need another button.
I had no screen, no sounds, no steering wheel override. Just left with climate level indicator, heated seat settings ( the overlay).
This fixed the issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts