·
Registered
583 Posts
Yup a week ago. No action for the mo... just be prepared if you ‘set on fire’

Reactions: Bunny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anybody have some more details on what is really the root cause of the perceived problem?
The inlet manifold is made of plastic, not normally an issue as most of the time the air going through it from the turbo wouldn't be hot enough to deform or melt it. I'd guess its another issue linked to the EGR fiasco, if the EGR valve isn't working correctly and dumping seriously hot air from the exhaust back through the inlet manifold then that could be the issue causing the plastics used to deform. I could be totally wrong on this but given the issues only affect diesels it wouldn't surprise me at all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The inlet manifold is made of plastic, not normally an issue as most of the time the air going through it from the turbo wouldn't be hot enough to deform or melt it. I'd guess its another issue linked to the EGR fiasco, if the EGR valve isn't working correctly and dumping seriously hot air from the exhaust back through the inlet manifold then that could be the issue causing the plastics used to deform. I could be totally wrong on this but given the issues only affect diesels it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Think that you’re spot on voxdub seeing that Volvo is waiting for people to have a egr issue before changing them if it puts through too much soot and hot gas it’s going to ignite or get hot enough to melt then when mixed width enough oxygen ignite.

·
Registered
58 Posts
doesn't make you feel safe in a safe car, which kid do i choose to get out first :-(
i feel like car hunting again is on the horizon, only just got shot of the flipping Zafira that could catch fire too

·
Registered
262 Posts
doesn't make you feel safe in a safe car, which kid do i choose to get out first :-(
i feel like car hunting again is on the horizon, only just got shot of the flipping Zafira that could catch fire too
I think you are over exaggerating the issue. There is a possibility that a plastic part in 2l 4cyl diesel engine might melt, or possibly catch fire. Unlike Vauxhall, who denied there was a problem while cars caught fire, or Hotpoint who covered up the fact that their dryers caused 750 house fires over 11 years, and who still have 800,000 faulty dryers to find and fix. Volvo have acted the moment they have been informed of a failure of quality control in the supply chain and have recalled all the affected cars even though there has not been a single recorded incident of an actual fire or personal injury.

When you look at how other manufacturers try to wheedle out of their consumer responsibilities I'm actually glad I have a Volvo, and that they take such positive action as soon as an issue is identified.

Reactions: Olsen and voxdub

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe and its a bad joke but there's no smoke without fire. Im sure in Jan mine was recalled for a fire risk on a fuel hose as well. im not overly concerned my wife does not feel the same as me. Adding this to a clutch and flywheel ive already had at 30k and 2 front control arms car just hit three years old, im not sure Quality control was high on the list for Volvo at production time.

needless to say we have all just seen the value of our cars drop too, thankful im not financed on this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an issue with my inlet manifold 6 months ago, loss of power and engine management light. Took it to the main volvo dealer and the cleaned and did an ECU upgrade and charged me £200.

Think I'm gunna have to give Arnold Shark a call.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think given the recall covers cars over a 5 year period if the risk was considerable there would have been a recall well before now and we'd have heard numerous reports of fires. Volvo as a brand pride themselves on safety and are being proactive to ensure incidents are prevented, as Tony1 said I think some are getting carried away slightly.

I'd much rather face the risk of a fire in a diesel car than a petrol or electrical car, but as it stands I think its more likely at present I'd be involved in a collision than having my CC go up in flames before Volvo fix the issue.

I do get that the issue does pose negatives, such as increased depreciation and market value but probably negligible longer term once the issue is dealt with.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Got the potential recall notice last week. Have had issues with EGR in the past (D4), but never with the inlet. Now my EGR problem was fixed about 50.000 miles ago (on the third try...) and it never came back. Currently 70.000 miles on the counter, so I am not too worried about it suddenly catching fire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just a note for you guys just picked up car after booking in for this recall noticea week ago and issues identified , a number of parts fitted (all as part of recall) total bill to volvo £2700

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have booked my car into a Volvo main dealer for an unrelated issue. I commented that they must be very busy with this recall, they said they hadn't done anything yet as they were still awaiting instructions from Volvo!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have booked my car into a Volvo main dealer for an unrelated issue. I commented that they must be very busy with this recall, they said they hadn't done anything yet as they were still awaiting instructions from Volvo!
I wonder how long it will be until they announce a fix.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts