Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Glad I stumbled across this forum, seems like there are many dedicated V40 owners in here!

I've recently bought a demo-car from my local Volvo dealer, a 2013 V40 D2 Summum including "all packages" according to the dealer. I have for sure verified that it does in fact have almost every package a gadget freak like me could ever want, like Driver Support, Intro, Technics, High performance multimedia etc.. All in all, I'm very satisfied and a happy first-time-Volvo-owner :)

However - one of the things that I am missing is a 12v socket in the cargo compartment area.. This should have been included as a part of the "cargo/luggage package" i believe, but it is no where to be found in my car. So, I went to my local Volvo dealer and ordered this kit. It was a straight forward installation, no problems at all when following the installation instructions.

Stupid as I am, I didn't bother to check if there was any power in the pre-routed grey power connector in the luggage compartment before I reassembled the interior back again (Ref. step 26 in the installation instructions). Now I have a 12v socket connected to a grey power connector without any power.

Anyone knows how to proceed? I have checked the 10A fuse that is a part of the connection kit. Also, according to the V40 manual there should be a 15A fuse in the fuse box under the passenger seat (No. #17). There were not any fuse in socket no. 17, so I put a new 15A fuse here. Still no go..!

Any ideas? Are there any additional fuses that I may have overlooked? Does the circuit need to be "activated" by a Volvo dealer in VIDA perhaps? I have no idea, any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Provided you have followed the Instructions regarding connecting the cable, you shouldn't have a problem. I fitted mine without any problems at all. Did you find the pre-routed connector, or do you have a tow bar. As far as I am aware there is nothing to do other than connect to the pre-routed connector. Here is my original post, not that it will help that much.

http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/...ion/365-power-outlet-luggage-compartment.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a tow bar, but I found the pre routed connector along with another smaller & green connector taped (that is, they were not in use) to the wires that leads to the right rear lights.

I really thought it was plain plug-n-play as well.. Thats why I was surprised that there was no fuse installed in the fuse box under the passenger seat at socket number 17, which according to the owners manual is the fuse for 12v in luggage compartment. I'm thinking; why would there be a fuse pre-installed here when the car isn't manufactured with a 12v socket? So it kinda make sense that I would have to place a fuse there before it could work. However, this makes me think that there might be another fuse or something else that also needs to be fitted before it will work..

Could it be that there has to be installed fuses or any relays for the tow bar circuit perhaps?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think so. Check the Installation instructions for the towbar wiring

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...wDocument/ShowIiDocument/VCC-430772-1/NOTHING
Thank you wizzy! According to the installation instructions for the towbar wiring you provided, there has to be installed two fuses at F23 and F26. Neither of these two fuses are pre installed in my fuse box. I tried installing a fuse in F23 without luck.. The F26 is a JCASE-fuse which I don't have at hand right now.. Not sure if it really is necessary to install the tow bar-fuses for the 12V socket to work, but when thinking about it - it leads to the same connector in luggage compartment after all, doesn't it?

Anyone know where I can find a complete wiring diagram for this circuit (if available online)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured this one out at last. For those who might be interested, you have to install two fuses in the fuse box located under the passenger seat:

#17 ("12 V socket, cargo area") - 15 A mini fuse, and
#26 ("Trailer socket 1") - 40 A JCASE fuse

:)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Perhaps Volvo need to amend their instructions for fitting the 12v socket in the cargo area, as they don't mention fuses at all. By the way, did the socket fit properly in the panel? I had to make a spacer to go between the nut and panel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps Volvo need to amend their instructions for fitting the 12v socket in the cargo area, as they don't mention fuses at all. By the way, did the socket fit properly in the panel? I had to make a spacer to go between the nut and panel.
I agree.. The socket didn't fit exactly as it should (the nut didn't tighten down to the panel), also there was no markings on the back of the panel showing where to drill the hole so I had to guesstimate based on the picture from the instructions. The instructions recomended making a 27 mm hole, however, I only made a 25 mm hole and was able to twist the socket in to a snug fit. I considered making a spacer between the nut and the panel, but it chose not to because of the tight fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts