Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Excellent and very good point I had never considered.

I bought 4 rims and have had refurbed for winter tyres but whilst a different style, they are Volvo OEM wheels and identically sized to those on the car so I think I'm fairly safe?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It all depends on your dealer / garage. One could make problems even if you put non OEM wheels. Some other won't.
My past car was heavily modded within warranty (complete suspension, induction, remap, exhaust etc) and it had no effect on warranty whatsoever.

Now when I was ordering V40 I literally told my salesman that Volvo's Artio 19" are too expensive (here in Croatia we can buy those wheels only as spare parts) and that Volvo's 10mm lowered suspension makes no sense. I said that I'll fit quality aftermarket 19'' wheels and eibach springs. He agreed and told me that's no problem regarding the warranty.

To conclude, it's all goodwill of your dealer.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Fitting after market rims assuming they are the correct fitment would not invalidate your warranty, that document is typical cheap journalism.

Generally a manufacturer would only exclude a otherwise valid ware try claim due to a modification if that modification could have contributed to the failure being claimed for.

So say you fit an aftermarket exhaust but your steering rack goes you should be ok (you may have to argue a bit but you should be ok.

Yes there is always a risk they could be unreasonable and force you to litigate (I have neatly had to do that before and nothing to do with after market parts just pants dealers/Custer services agents at the manufacturer) and if that worries you do not modify.

A few of the other things in that article that made me laugh

The more you pay for a warranty the better it is...

you can choose the repairer etc.......they do not mention the fact that if you do choose the repairer they will only pay £35 an hour and if the garage charges more you will have to cover it etc.....

·
Registered
945 Posts
Crossing the road risks getting run over, putting your kettle on may set your house on fire but again do you need so one to tell you this?

Putting any part not supplied by the marque risks them causing problems if you ever need to make a claim, despite eu regs saying other wise, there is a risk to everything in life.

Such wishy washy statements are just back protecting drivel probably written by someone with little knowledge of the issue it supposedly informs upon, thus resulting in a bunch of words that serves no real purpose (but it does fill a bit of space on a website)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Crossing the road risks getting run over, putting your kettle on may set your house on fire but again do you need so one to tell you this?

Putting any part not supplied by the marque risks them causing problems if you ever need to make a claim, despite eu regs saying other wise, there is a risk to everything in life.

Such wishy washy statements are just back protecting drivel probably written by someone with little knowledge of the issue it supposedly informs upon, thus resulting in a bunch of words that serves no real purpose (but it does fill a bit of space on a website)
Of course Dennis. My apologies. I forgot you are the expert in litigation and finance.

Mind you, with my limited knowledge I would still prefer to follow the advice provided in the link above than the advice that you provide such as - hand the car back to the dealer and tell the finance company. Whilst I would not follow a forum expert I would always make sure I know the facts if I needed to take some action under the warranty.

Keep up the good work fella! My experience in County Court situations confirms that accuracy of information is paramount when reading documents. But I am not an expert.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Oh, I almost bit ;0)

Dam I could not resist...despite my lack of knowledge and experience, that cheque for £900+ from Audi will be landing on my door this coming week, on top of the £7k engine rebuild paid for by Audi outside of the warranty :0)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.