Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

a couple of quick question that I'm sure have simple answers.

1. When I connect my iPhone via USB the songs show as playing but no volume comes out of the car. I have checked both car and iPhone have volume on. I have latest IOS.

2. When I try and play audio via Bluetooth it finds a track but does not play. I have to manually start it on the iPhone and I cannot browse or skip etc.

I assume I have a setting incorrect somewhere? I have browsed the instruction book but cannot find the solution.

iPhone 4S IOS 7.0.3.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have an ipod nano, when I plug it in the car recognises it and begins to play. Never had issues with volume.

With Bluetooth streaming it also worked fine (to a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone). I am able to control the tracks etc just fine.

Never had to do anything different. I'd get a dealer check.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Get an Android, lol. My friend is also now on latest iOS7, and she says when she plugs her iPhone in via cable and bluetooth is on, the car doesn't know which one to choose to play music from.

She can't remember that she had this issue before the latest OS update. I haven't tried the bluetooth and cable at the same time with my Galaxy Note 2.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi guys,

1. When I connect my iPhone via USB the songs show as playing but no volume comes out of the car. I have checked both car and iPhone have volume on. I have latest IOS.

2. When I try and play audio via Bluetooth it finds a track but does not play. I have to manually start it on the iPhone and I cannot browse or skip etc.
1. If you have paired the iphone with sensus, you might have to change the output from ios (spotify or whatever you use)

2. I can skip tracks, but I have to start the first song manually. If spotify app is not closed since last time, it just continues from last time :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a slightly different (and worse) problem. My UBS port simply doesn´t work. If I plug something to the USB, it will actually charge the device, but it does not recognize any info in it, and basically not play any music. I tried with both an iPon shuffle and a plain old USB MP3 player, and non of them work.

Took it to the dealer, they changed the USB port, updated the software, but same story; doesn´t work.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas, or experiences to get something like this fixed? The dealer here apparently has no clue how to fix it, and I don´t want them to start opening up the dash to start "looking" for a solution.

·
Registered
273 Posts
All strange queries...I plug an I-Pod in via the USB and it plays via the Media and I can Navigate through the whole catalogue without a hitch. Equally via the Bluetooth, my BlackBerry Z10 streams music without a problem. Sounds like a dealer job!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
@danielfre Are you using the original iPod cable? I have seen before that if you don;t use the original cable, weird things to tend to happen.

Maybe take that same "faulty" ipod and plug it into another Volvo to see if the same issue comes up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi guys,

I assume I have a setting incorrect somewhere? I have browsed the instruction book but cannot find the solution.

iPhone 4S IOS 7.0.3.

Hi,
here's what you should do if you don't get sound out. In your iphone make sure the output is set to dock connector rather than bluetooth and it will work.
If nothing works reboot the iPhone, it is a computer after all and needs to be rebooted from time to time. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a slightly different (and worse) problem. My UBS port simply doesn´t work. If I plug something to the USB, it will actually charge the device, but it does not recognize any info in it, and basically not play any music. I tried with both an iPon shuffle and a plain old USB MP3 player, and non of them work.

Took it to the dealer, they changed the USB port, updated the software, but same story; doesn´t work.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas, or experiences to get something like this fixed? The dealer here apparently has no clue how to fix it, and I don´t want them to start opening up the dash to start "looking" for a solution.
My iPOD shuffle also doesn't work! However my regular iPod and iPhone work fine. If you use an old mps which is not an iPod, then you should choose USB instead of iPod in the Menu as your source.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
here's what you should do if you don't get sound out. In your iphone make sure the output is set to dock connector rather than bluetooth and it will work.
If nothing works reboot the iPhone, it is a computer after all and needs to be rebooted from time to time. Hope it helps!

Thanks managed to get the audio out through the dock connector and also streaming by Bluetooth, however I seem to have no control over the audio whilst playing by Bluetooth. Sensus does nothing and I have to physically change the track etc on the iPhone. Is this standard?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks managed to get the audio out through the dock connector and also streaming by Bluetooth, however I seem to have no control over the audio whilst playing by Bluetooth. Sensus does nothing and I have to physically change the track etc on the iPhone. Is this standard?
That depends on the version of bluetooth on your iphone as well as on the car itself. I think its only the latest bluetooth version that supports this function. All older versions only show the song name and allow for moving forward and backward. HOwever I am able to skip forward and backward both from the podcast app as well as the standard music app on the iphone. Are you using the standard app or some other app like vlc?

·
Registered
945 Posts
For the guy who's USB won't work, just try putting music on a sum stick to test it.

I used to have my music on the USB stick but then got a iPod touch (4th gen) when I got an alpine with iPod control in my other car. It works without issue in the v40 and the playlists are great

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys,

iPhone 4S IOS 7.0.3.

Make sure your iphone is not connected to the usb if you're connected via bluetooth. Choose only one method of playing.. either via USB or Bluetooth. I prefer bluetooth and use the 12V to charge my iphone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've occasionally had it with my iPhone 5 (not S or C) which is on latest iOS, that it will lock and not allow me to select another song. I can select another song from the playlist, but it's the same song (first alphabetically by artist) which plays. Don't get me wrong, I like AC/DC's "Highway to ****", but not at the loss of hearing all the other songs I can see are on my phone!

In this situation, I simply disconnect the USB cable from the phone, reconnect and it works fine again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So if I'm understanding this correctly - you can run an iPhone on bluetooth and take calls and have an iPod plugged in the USB (bluetooth off) on shuffle setting and both will work?

Does shuffle setting work if you have a USB memory stick (FAT32) plugged in?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've got an Ipod touch and an MP3 player running of a USB mini-port. Just select whichever one I want. I stream podcasts from my Android and have no issues with any.

The mini-port gives me four ports. All seem to stay charged too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.