Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Mine is OK on this size of tyre. is it possible that your tyres are end of life or just a stiff product. I'm on Continental Sport 5.

I have been running towards the ECO pressures but at the service last week they reduced them for high central wear. Then I went on a M25 run yesterday and found the steering vague so they are going back up!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had V40CC T3 for 12 months now, on 17/50/225 tyres. For me the ride is way too firm and I find suspension too noisy. It's not what I expected from comfy volvo. On test ride I got a model with 16 inch weels and it felt alright. I drove my friend V40 (a few years older, 180k km millage) and it was completly different feeling. Is that possible that Volvo changed suspension settings during the production? My car was manufactured in June 2019. I can't imagine that Audi is even stiffer. To have a sensible ride I deflate front tyres to 2.1 bar and rear to 2.0 - 0.3 below standard settings.
Then you should try mine on 235/35 R19. The truth is that V40 in general is the firmest Volvo but I actually like that. The only thing I don't like that much about the ride is the noise from the tyres on particular surfaces. But if your friend's V40 is softer on the same tyres size then I would also think the problem is in the tyres (wear and age, brand).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Then you should try mine on 235/35 R19. The truth is that V40 in general is the firmest Volvo but I actually like that. The only thing I don't like that much about the ride is the noise from the tyres on particular surfaces. But if your friend's V40 is softer on the same tyres size then I would also think the problem is in the tyres (wear and age, brand).
If you think the v40 ride is firm try a xc60 2010 r design it feels like riding a brick!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Had a Seat Ibiza on 215/40 R17 wheels on FR (sports) suspension, I avoided potholes like the plague, and any small (short) speed bumps, sent a jolt to the cabin, my spine etc. My current V40 on 205/55 R16 is like heaven, potholes are smoothen out, and the same small (short) speed bumps are nothing to worry about. I actually prefered the stiff suspension on highway and country roads/twisty road, but city, V40 suspension is best!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is OK on this size of tyre. is it possible that your tyres are end of life or just a stiff product. I'm on Continental Sport 5.

I have been running towards the ECO pressures but at the service last week they reduced them for high central wear. Then I went on a M25 run yesterday and found the steering vague so they are going back up!
The car is virtally 1 year old. I changed the original tryes (Michelin) to softer type. it helped a bit but didn't solve the problem fully. The current tyres are 8 months old

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a Seat Ibiza on 215/40 R17 wheels on FR (sports) suspension, I avoided potholes like the plague, and any small (short) speed bumps, sent a jolt to the cabin, my spine etc. My current V40 on 205/55 R16 is like heaven, potholes are smoothen out, and the same small (short) speed bumps are nothing to worry about. I actually prefered the stiff suspension on highway and country roads/twisty road, but city, V40 suspension is best!
the car is new so are the tyres. I specificly change the new tyres into a softer model but it didn't help much

·
Registered
6 Posts
this is what I'm saying. V40 has a different suspension to V40 CC

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The car is virtally 1 year old. I changed the original tryes (Michelin) to softer type. it helped a bit but didn't solve the problem fully. The current tyres are 8 months old
This amount of new tyres would have me looking for faults. I do know about suspensions and the Volvo CC is pretty sorted. I dislike the directional stability which is a consequence of soft rubber joints. But that is a design choice they have made. Maybe you need to line it up with another and compare?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This amount of new tyres would have me looking for faults. I do know about suspensions and the Volvo CC is pretty sorted. I dislike the directional stability which is a consequence of soft rubber joints. But that is a design choice they have made. Maybe you need to line it up with another and compare
I'm not sure if I got your point. The suspension in my V40CC (produced 2019) is super, super stiff. I would say that for typical city ride it is simply too much, which I consider a design fault (or maybe a necesisity to fix a more serious issue). It's a different story with fast motorway ride - it handles very well. I bought it as a city car however.

You sound like an owner of a completly different car, which makes me thinking Volvo changed suspension setup during production. Or maybe at the end of production (it was the last month of this model production) they had some sets of R-design springs and dampers and they fit the last V40 with them... Sounds crazy, but otherwise I can't explain why would Volvo engineers desing something like this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That's why I suggested a comparison. Springs will be colour coded so you could check these markings. Also the coils need to be viewed to ensure nothing is blocking them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's why I suggested a comparison. Springs will be colour coded so you could check these markings. Also the coils need to be viewed to ensure nothing is blocking them.
where should I look for such markings? I doubt anything is blocking the springs. The suspension worked this way straight after leaving the dealer, from the very first mile. Besides on long deep bumps the suspension travel is really OK. Only short humps are quite unpleasant (I susspect it's about very stiff shock absorbers)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You'll find up to three stripes of colour on the coils. Short sharp bumps are always a severe test of vehicle suspensions. The spring should collapse easily and then the damper slows the spring effect. Perhaps the dampers are incorrectly ported so the spring can't work. Can you test each side by hitting a drain with each side to compare?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts