Volvo V40 Forums banner

Is the CC more softly sprung?

12K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  OldEngineer 
#1 ·
Having test driven the Incription T3 Auto I did find it less compliant than a Ford Focus. Would I be happier with a Cross Country suspension?

#3 ·
Audi are well known for rigid suspension so I think anything will beat it. I don't understand why manufacturers put in harsh suspensions. The role of the spring and damper is to keep the tyre in contact with the road so only one setup will work (for a given bump). If the spring is too hard the car lifts the tyre from the road.

So back to the CC. I tried one today and it is getting towards the compliance I like. I might sign!

#4 · (Edited)
The CC is nice, Pro is the same trim level as Inscription. As you can probably guess, tyre size/ profile also make a big difference, but also Volvo recommend inflating the tyres to 'eco' pressures ie hard, some on the forum prefer to deflate them slightly. The D2 and T2 engined cars list a different suspension: comfort/touring (though not the cross countrys or r-designs), perhaps it may be worth your while trying to get a test drive in one of those.

#5 ·
I did think about testing a 'non dynamic' chassis but the drop in power for the engine makes it most unlikely. My current car is 200BHP but slightly heavier than the V40. It looks like the CC on 17 inch wheels has plenty of rubber in the side walls (which probably protects the alloys better). Tyre pressure changes sound interesting as long as the wheels are not in danger from appalling pot holes. It seems unlikely on 17 inch wheels.

#6 ·
I'm not sure you can get them (new) any more, but our T5 Cross Country (on 17s) not only has a reasonable level of comfort but handling is good too, there doesn't seem to be much of a compromise due to the higher/softer suspension. (Previous car to it was a Ford Focus)
Plus it has 4WD and well over 200bhp, especially with the Polestar Optimisation, so can really shift if necessary. 0:)

#7 ·
My T3 car has 18” 225/45 tyres and I’ve also driven a D2 cc on 17” tyres, and an R-design D3 also on 17”. The larger wheels on mine do let you feel road imperfections, though I’ve more of an issue with my Pirelli tyres, which sometimes lose grip on very smooth tarmac - I prefer the Continentals and Michelins which were on the other cars. You do notice the increase in engine power, and others here love the even higher powered engines, but they’re no longer listed, at least not in the UK.

#8 ·
Looks like I'll go for an ex demo on 17 inch wheels. It drove well and not overly stiff. Probably needs about 15% less stiffness for true compliance but the marketing people have probably overruled the engineers. Only 150BHP but I'll see how this works with the auto gearbox. I didn't try the manual override and can see how using it in ECO+ might make it great in London.

#9 ·
Deal done! A demonstrator Cross Country Pro with 17 inch wheels (2018 model). Has the Winter Pack and front parking sensors. Finished in Denim Blue with Blonde interior. Really looking forward to it.

#12 ·
Totally agree. It's just about right for us. We looked at a number of SUV style alternatives but in almost all you were actually climbing up to get in!

#14 · (Edited)
Car Magazine reported thus...

There’s actually no extra suspension travel (the ride height boost comes courtesy of longer wheel spindles up front and modified link arms at the rear) and Volvo’s altered the damping rates and added new anti-roll bars to compensate for the Cross Country’s loftier stance

But I've not been able to substantiate this. I don't know what they mean by longer wheel spindles. Perhaps the parts information would be a better guide.

#15 ·
Car Magazine reported thus...

There’s actually no extra suspension travel (the ride height boost comes courtesy of longer wheel spindles up front and modified link arms at the rear) and Volvo’s altered the damping rates and added new anti-roll bars to compensate for the Cross Country’s loftier stance

But I've not been able to substantiate this. I don't know what they mean by longer wheel spindles. Perhaps the parts information would be a better guide.
The entire suspension system is different between the V40 and V40CC (springs, dampers, front knuckles, front track control arms, rear trailing arms and rear wishbones). The raised ride height is mostly implemented in the front knuckles and rear trailing arms.
Here's a V40 front knuckle:
and here's a V40CC front knuckle:
You can see that most of the raised ride height is achieved by stretching the top of the knuckle where the damper attaches . The dampers and springs are the same length between the V40 and v40CC, but have different rates. The track control arms, rear trailing arms and rear wishbones have to be lengthened for the V40CC to maintain the correct suspension geometry whith the raised ride height.

#17 ·
Wow. That's perfect Buzby. So we can translate "Longer wheel spindles" to mean extended knuckles. It seems quite elaborate when the same could have been achieved by longer springs and dampers.
It looks like the steering rack will be working at a greater angle but I don't feel any deterioration.

I'm quite pleased by the ride and compliance in the CC compared to the standard but I know I'm on fairly tall 17 inch rubber.

#20 ·
I've had V40CC T3 for 12 months now, on 17/50/225 tyres. For me the ride is way too firm and I find suspension too noisy. It's not what I expected from comfy volvo. On test ride I got a model with 16 inch weels and it felt alright. I drove my friend V40 (a few years older, 180k km millage) and it was completly different feeling. Is that possible that Volvo changed suspension settings during the production? My car was manufactured in June 2019. I can't imagine that Audi is even stiffer. To have a sensible ride I deflate front tyres to 2.1 bar and rear to 2.0 - 0.3 below standard settings.

#22 ·
Then you should try mine on 235/35 R19. The truth is that V40 in general is the firmest Volvo but I actually like that. The only thing I don't like that much about the ride is the noise from the tyres on particular surfaces. But if your friend's V40 is softer on the same tyres size then I would also think the problem is in the tyres (wear and age, brand).

#21 ·
Mine is OK on this size of tyre. is it possible that your tyres are end of life or just a stiff product. I'm on Continental Sport 5.

I have been running towards the ECO pressures but at the service last week they reduced them for high central wear. Then I went on a M25 run yesterday and found the steering vague so they are going back up!

#24 ·
Had a Seat Ibiza on 215/40 R17 wheels on FR (sports) suspension, I avoided potholes like the plague, and any small (short) speed bumps, sent a jolt to the cabin, my spine etc. My current V40 on 205/55 R16 is like heaven, potholes are smoothen out, and the same small (short) speed bumps are nothing to worry about. I actually prefered the stiff suspension on highway and country roads/twisty road, but city, V40 suspension is best!

#31 ·
where should I look for such markings? I doubt anything is blocking the springs. The suspension worked this way straight after leaving the dealer, from the very first mile. Besides on long deep bumps the suspension travel is really OK. Only short humps are quite unpleasant (I susspect it's about very stiff shock absorbers)

#32 ·
You'll find up to three stripes of colour on the coils. Short sharp bumps are always a severe test of vehicle suspensions. The spring should collapse easily and then the damper slows the spring effect. Perhaps the dampers are incorrectly ported so the spring can't work. Can you test each side by hitting a drain with each side to compare?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.