Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, (and girls of course) looks like "I'm in" now.

My '63 plate new model Mazda 6 Estate had open heart surgery due to DPF regen issues. It was re-built but failed again inside 4 weeks. Result:- Mazda taking car back at no cost to me. I was then plugged into a Volvo V40 D3 R-Design Pro. I liked it a lot.

First off, I managed to get my racing bike(s) in the boot; essential for hobby No. 1
Then, I manged to squeeze my 200lb "portable" Telescope in; so that's hobby no. 2 taken care of.
Stereo systems sounds good for a car; hobby no. 3.

Oh dear, I'm running out of excuses here - a car I like, a little off the beaten track etc etc. Mrs Me also liked it a lot. Then came the engine warning light scare, but Jiffen has reasured me that the fix is here / on its way.

[I had a brief flirtation with a fully loaded Ford Focus ST-3 as an option and for sure, it's quite impressive, but no front parking sensors, no LED lights and so on. Not quite so premium IMHO]

So at last after a week of faffing around I hereby launched my spec at the dealer - now on order:-

Red
R Design Pro
D4 / Manual
Sports Pack
Winter Pack Plus
Xenium
Harmon Kardon upgrade
BLIS / Cross traffic
Flex load floor

And... (my one nod to the Focus ST-3)

A dealer fit spoiler - the one with fins / flaps and all sorts going on

I think the excitement is going to build - they are talking June delivery.

So, my learned friends, any thoughts on the choice ? I will not be offended !

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went for Red. I would have ideally had some sort of metallic red but this is n/a on the R Design AFAIK. Of course, pictures (including that quite ridiculous rear spoiler I've opted for !) to follow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I bought my V40 T3 back in August (delivered October) I was going down the route of the R-Design / Pro but I read in a few reviews that you shouldnt get 18" wheels, yes they look very nice but spoil the ride on the UKs pothole ridden roads, 17" is the way to go. Weighing up the options and the things that were must haves (leather interior, winter pack etc) I bought the Inscription. It worked out slightly cheaper as there was stuff loaded as standard that wouldve made the R-Design more expensive. Sorry but cant remember what it was though.

Honestly I think you have made a very wise choice. I bought mine after owning an A3 Quattro 2TFSI and my only gripe with the V40 is lack of traction from pull away but then its never going to equal the quattro. But everything else is just superb. Ride is amazing, interior is better than the Audi (IMHO) handling is very good. Fuel economy is staggering for a 2.0 150 BHP petrol as I am regularly getting very high 40s on motorway runs.

Do you really need the diesel? I would suggest you need to be doing 20k miles to justify it over the T3 that said the D4 is an amazing engine.

Enjoy the car, I know you will.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Red
R Design Pro
D4 / Manual
Sports Pack
Winter Pack Plus
Xenium
Harmon Kardon upgrade
BLIS / Cross traffic
Flex load floor

And... (my one nod to the Focus ST-3)

A dealer fit spoiler - the one with fins / flaps and all sorts going on

I think the excitement is going to build - they are talking June delivery.

So, my learned friends, any thoughts on the choice ? I will not be offended !
Can only really say hearty congrats sir! :grin2:
Great spec for what will be a superb mile eater for many years!
Can't help but wonder if you test drove a T5/8 speed for comparison but hey... you chose a V40 so it's still a big win for common sense :smile2:
Please remember our pics when she arrives!!
As Always...
Enjoy :wink2:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you really need the diesel? I would suggest you need to be doing 20k miles to justify it over the T3
Good question.

Well, I will be doing ~ 10-12kmiles p/a at least. I do like the mid-range torque from modern oil burners and I've had all the petrol fun I need for 10 years a few years back. I'm sure we have all been somewhat led astray away from Petrol in the UK in recent years and I feel sure its back on the ascendant. Did you know, every single BMW is now turbo-charged ? Who would have thought that 10 years ago ?

We're a long way from the Cummins / Perkins diesel engines we used to smuggle into cars.

Looking forward to the D4 - and whilst the V40 is not exactly in the first flush of youth, It still looks bright to me [biased of course].

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I read in a few reviews that you shouldnt get 18" wheels, yes they look very nice but spoil the ride on the UKs pothole ridden roads, 17" is the way to go.
Specifying 18" wheels also increases the turning circle as steering rack limiters are fitted along with the wheels to prevent them rubbing on the wheel arches at full lock.The software configuration of the speedo and steering position sensor are also changed (for interfacing with Park Pilot for instance) to reflect the change in maximum steering lock and rolling radius.

·
Registered
599 Posts
What an amazing car you have ordered, in RED as well. Will be stunning. The audio upgrade is a good idea from the standard.
I have the performance upgrade which is ok, but not as good as the performance audio in my old S60, or my other C30. The standard audio must be poor in a V40?

Well done. Nice choice!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.... End of May delivery. This is quite a (nice) surprise. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like in Red ( I have not seen so many to be honest)

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I bought my V40 T3 back in August (delivered October) I was going down the route of the R-Design / Pro but I read in a few reviews that you shouldnt get 18" wheels, yes they look very nice but spoil the ride on the UKs pothole ridden roads, 17" is the way to go. Weighing up the options and the things that were must haves (leather interior, winter pack etc) I bought the Inscription. It worked out slightly cheaper as there was stuff loaded as standard that wouldve made the R-Design more expensive. Sorry but cant remember what it was though.

Honestly I think you have made a very wise choice. I bought mine after owning an A3 Quattro 2TFSI and my only gripe with the V40 is lack of traction from pull away but then its never going to equal the quattro. But everything else is just superb. Ride is amazing, interior is better than the Audi (IMHO) handling is very good. Fuel economy is staggering for a 2.0 150 BHP petrol as I am regularly getting very high 40s on motorway runs.

Do you really need the diesel? I would suggest you need to be doing 20k miles to justify it over the T3 that said the D4 is an amazing engine.

Enjoy the car, I know you will.
Congratulations, you will love the D4.

Mine is pretty much the same a yours in terms of kit (no fancy spoiler though) but I bought mine used, an ex Volvo management car. As an R-Design Lux Nav it came with 19" tyres which I particularly hate because a) the ride is so hard, b) they are too easy to kerb and c) they are expensive to replace. So I asked the dealer at the time of ordering if they would swap the 19s for 17s which they agreed to do free of charge. This has proved to be a very wise decision as the ride is much better and, although the D4 is a bit of a tyre eater, it is still quite cheap to replace tyres.

The only downside is that the sticker inside the driver's door recess gives pressures for 19" tyres but that is a small thing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, just heard that my car is on its way to the dealers as we speak, ready for collection in a week or so.

What (if anything) ought I to be asking the dealer to ensure they have done ?

Car software update ?
Sensus update ?
Anything else ?

Thoughts most welcome

·
Registered
99 Posts
So, just heard that my car is on its way to the dealers as we speak, ready for collection in a week or so.

What (if anything) ought I to be asking the dealer to ensure they have done ?

Car software update ?
Sensus update ?
Anything else ?

Thoughts most welcome
The only thing check for is that the DAB update has been done to the car to get rid of the KKKKKK glitch that was on all 17.5my cars until a few weeks ago

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh.. had forgotten all about that. The D3 hire car I had also had this "undocument software feature".. Is the DAB update different and seperate to the main software ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It arrives tomorrow.

Maps updated
Boost pipe correctly fitted
Latest DAB firmware
Latest EGR and DPF hardware
Latest engine mapping software.

But...only one light in the boot !

Still, excited is (still) the operative word. Will post piccies...

Rgds

EDIT:- Just got it.. Nice colour !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts