Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Owning Larenta Wheels 17'' (Volvo V40 2015 - United Kingdom)
31381859-SI
7.0Jx17H2
Germany Borbet
ET 50 K2

All markings are clear to me, except the K2 code after the offset 50 (I know ET is the German for Offset).

I have seen online identical wheels (same exact product code) but different K number (like K1, K2 or K3, even K4 for some other Volvo models).

I have no clue if wheels with different K number are interchangeable (e.g. spare set for winter tyres) and what this K number means.

Few things that come to mind:

• Borbet has 4 different production sites in Germany (maybe just a code for the production site?), OR
  • a code for indicating different nuts requirements?
  • different alloy recipe?
  • Any other idea?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Are the wheels symmetrical (I had a car once where the alloys on the left hand side where a mirror image of the ones on the right)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the wheels symmetrical (I had a car once where the alloys on the left hand side where a mirror image of the ones on the right)
Not sure about symmetry but just got an answer from the producer Borbet, k number is nothing to worry about the fitting, this is just a production number indicating the moulding platform used to cast the wheels. So wheels with same part number but different k number should basically be the same.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure if it's what you mean... But manufacturers don't make left and right sided wheels. So if the design isn't perfectly symmetrical then the wheels looked at from one side of the car will look the "opposite" to the other.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
441 Posts
But manufacturers don't make left and right sided wheels.
Yep, some do! Normally a forged rim, and purely for looks. Aston's 2018 Vantage and new DB11 is one manufacturer, and the aftermarket industry is awash with directional rims :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yep, some do! Normally a forged rim, and purely for looks. Aston's 2018 Vantage and new DB11 is one manufacturer, and the aftermarket industry is awash with directional rims :)
Maybe I should have said mainstream manufacturers! Not too up on my Aston Martins sadly...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Maybe I should have said mainstream manufacturers! Not too up on my Aston Martins sadly...
I had two Fords both of which had directional alloys fitted as Standard

Reactions: VeeForty Deetoo

·
Registered
518 Posts
The Ford Probe Gen 2. Both the 16v and 24v. The vanes on the wheels were supposed to draw cool air over the brakes as the wheels turned. You could always tell when someone had put the wheels on the wrong side as the leading edge of the vane was always supposed to move forward as the wheel turned.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting White

offside nearside
These are the best images I could quickly find in t'internet. (photos from a 2l 16v) The 24v had a different pattern (and were 16" rather than 15")

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
441 Posts
The Ford Probe Gen 2. Both the 16v and 24v. The vanes on the wheels were supposed to draw cool air over the brakes as the wheels turned. You could always tell when someone had put the wheels on the wrong side as the leading edge of the vane was always supposed to move forward as the wheel turned.

View attachment 17764
offside nearside
These are the best images I could quickly find in t'internet. (photos from a 2l 16v) The 24v had a different pattern (and were 16" rather than 15")
:)i remember the 24V had a plastic arch extender to get around type approval. and all models had an aircon switch, but not all had a/c fitted

·
Registered
518 Posts
:)i remember the 24V had a plastic arch extender to get around type approval. and all models had an aircon switch, but not all had a/c fitted
My 16v didn't have AC but my 24v did.

The 24v had been tweaked by a previous owner (UK spec 160bhp engine swapped for a Japanese Mazda MX6 engine with 220bhp) that was a fun car!

For a car of the 90's it had some nice touches, (illuminated key locks, under bonnet light, footwell lights cruise control, electric lumbar support seats... all fitted as standard)

·
Registered
100 Posts

View attachment 17764
offside nearside
Ford Probe! What a slab of 90s. Love it. I also like that they thought anyone would drive one hard enough to warrant drawing cool air over the brakes :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ford Probe! What a slab of 90s. Love it. I also like that they thought anyone would drive one hard enough to warrant drawing cool air over the brakes :D
or did they do it because they fitted smaller brakes than you really would expect on a big car to save a bit of money and the cooling was needed to stop them overheating? (who knows?)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I worked at Fords research / design and saw a probe converible! Don't think they made it into production though. :unsure:

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
441 Posts
I worked at Fords research / design and saw a probe converible! Don't think they made it into production though. :unsure:
there have been some home grown Probebriolets across the land... and some fella hacked the roof off a Vauxhall Calibra too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts