Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
There is THE reason why I did not order keyless entry.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Interesting reading and thought provoking. I must admit whilst it's been cold and I've been away early doors I've been starting my V40 (it's not keyless) popping heated screen and seats on and removing the key and back in the house picking up last few bits whilst the winter pack does it's thing. I'm aware someone could effective hop in and drive off and it's a calculated risk I am prepared to take but I did wonder this morning how far the car would go without the key in range? Anyone tested this or know the answer?

·
Registered
27 Posts
My last 3 Jags have been keyless. Essentially you have to be very close to the door for it to unlock, so much so that if your key is in your right pocket but your left is closest to the door, it might not open. The keyless start is another thing - I see the start button pulse when I am a foot or so away from the car, so if someone was sitting in it theoretically they could start it and drive off. Once it has started, it doesn't matter whether the key is in the car or not, it'll keep going until it is turned off. So if for example you started your car, ran inside to get something and left your key inside, then drove off, you'd be stuffed save that the car usually tells you when the key isn't inside it, so you'd have to be either stupid or unlucky.

The issue with the thieves was different. I read on the jag forums they are targeting range rovers and there might have been some issue getting them insured. But it didn't affect jags.

·
Registered
630 Posts
.......... whilst it's been cold and I've been away early doors I've been starting my V40 (it's not keyless) popping heated screen and seats on and removing the key and back in the house picking up last few bits whilst the winter pack does it's thing.

Letting a car idle when cold is bad for the engine. Ideally, the car should be driven off as soon as the engine has been started to enable the engine to quickly reach it's normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting reading and thought provoking. I must admit whilst it's been cold and I've been away early doors I've been starting my V40 (it's not keyless) popping heated screen and seats on and removing the key and back in the house picking up last few bits whilst the winter pack does it's thing. I'm aware someone could effective hop in and drive off and it's a calculated risk I am prepared to take but I did wonder this morning how far the car would go without the key in range? Anyone tested this or know the answer?
JB1001 as far as I know, if your V40 doesn't have keyless, (same as mine) then if you start the car and take the key out the car will continue to run until you stop the engine. If it is not keyless then it doesn't sense the key at all. I could be wrong though I've not tested it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My early V40 (not keyless entry) will start with the key in my pocket, but not if it is out of the car. I can then leave the car but get a message ky not in car. The courtesy MY14 V40 R Des needed the key in the slot to start, but I could then take the key out.
I might be wrong but I suspect you could actually start the car, take the key out and leave it behind, and go on a journey without it. I would much prefer the engine to stop after say 5 minutes without the key being present.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Letting a car idle when cold is bad for the engine. Ideally, the car should be driven off as soon as the engine has been started to enable the engine to quickly reach it's normal operating temperature.
Which in itself is daft.

I didn't purchase the winter pack so I could spend ages scraping the windscreen then get in to a cold car. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
It is true though...
Should have added remote heating to the package.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It is in Belgium, and honestly, climate here is as rubbish as in the UK, isn't it ? :)
That parking heating system is a pretty expensive option though, about 1000 Euro.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think it is mad that people go to a lot of trouble with silly steering locks, and even more silly bollards.

My late Grandad with his mega old Vauxhall back in the 80's had a simple kill switch he put in by his knee.

So, if it is such an issue, it is easy to get a small toggle switch from ebay for £2 and use it in serial with one of the power or earth lines to one of the modules.
In my case it is the key entry immobiliser point one. If I try and start without switching. I get the immobiliser warning, please try again.

So if someone gets in my car with the key, it won't start unless they've switched my little switch on which is under the panel by me left knee.

15 minute job, £2 and no silly steering lock which can easily be taken off, and will eventually wreck your trim etc.

Or a bollard which makes your house look like a council house that will be easily driven over with the torque your car can produce.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts