Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed from a 2013 plate D4 Lux (I miss it so much) to a 2018 T3 CC Pro (early days but missing the torque and power and the fuel consumption is already on the radar of concern). My D4 had keyless ignition and the T3 doesn't, does anyone know if this can be changed ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
This can be retrofitted by Volvo dealer. I found it in the accessories list. Just there is a remark that the car must come with fuel driven preheater with timer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The question is why you would want to. Convenience and "tech" that sells cars because customers think it's sexy, which is why manufacturers fit it. But you lose a lot of security. Google "relay attack".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply - that's helpful
This can be retrofitted by Volvo dealer. I found it in the accessories list. Just there is a remark that the car must come with fuel driven preheater with timer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The question is why you would want to. Convenience and "tech" that sells cars because customers think it's sexy, which is why manufacturers fit it. But you lose a lot of security. Google "relay attack".
Agree over the reduced security but I am so used to not having to put the key in and and compared to how it was it is just fiddly on entry and exit. Have since worked out once started I can take the key out and put it on the little shelve (like I used to) so with that being possible and meaning the key along with the other keys I need on the key ring being able to be out of the way. I think this will be a simple sort for me now and no retro fit needed. Many thanks for responding to my message.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anson,

I think I got confused first.As for keyless entry that cannot be retro fitted I believe. I thought you talk about the remote engine start feature.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Agree over the reduced security but I am so used to not having to put the key in and and compared to how it was it is just fiddly on entry and exit. Have since worked out once started I can take the key out and put it on the little shelve (like I used to) so with that being possible and meaning the key along with the other keys I need on the key ring being able to be out of the way. I think this will be a simple sort for me now and no retro fit needed. Many thanks for responding to my message.
Yes, once the engine is running the key doesn't need to remain in the slot. My job involved investigating vehicle theft methods before I retired. Volvos without keyless entry/start are some of the most secure cars on the UK market. Keyless completely wipes out the security advantage. Keys need to be kept in a radio blocking container when not in use otherwise anyone with a relay kit can open and start the car quite easily. Personally, I would never buy a car with keyless start and one of the reasons I chose a Volvo was the higher security over other cars without keyless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts