Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Volvo now has 1305km on the clock. Just over a month old. The car makes a weird knocking/thumping noise when you change gears, but only on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear.

Also depends on how you drive the car, and change the gears. Took the car back to the dealership, they had a look, and told me all other new V40's do it. Got the car back, and it is better, but still there sometimes.

I also drove another demo model from another dealership, and cannot remember that it also made this weird sound.

Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would not accept the dealers explanation that “all other new V40's do it”. Mine doesn’t and I have not experienced this in other V40’s I’ve driven.

·
Registered
718 Posts
An unacceptable response. I would say change dealer, but maybe you don't have that option where you are. I am not aware of any other V40s with that problem. If it had been prevalent then there would have been more posts about it on this forum.
As a matter of interest which engine do you have?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wizzy said:
An unacceptable response. I would say change dealer, but maybe you don't have that option where you are. I am not aware of any other V40s with that problem. If it had been prevalent then there would have been more posts about it on this forum.
As a matter of interest which engine do you have?
I have the T3 6 speed Manual. I emailed a friend who works at Volvo South Africa, and the matter has been taken further, as I also cannot see that a quality car like Volvo would say when changing gears and it makes knocking noises (almost like loose engine mounting) is normal.

Not even my Mazda 3 gave me issues like this.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Volvo had a look at my car yesterday, and confirmed that there is a problem. They will be replacing the whole gearbox with a new one, as soon as they get one from Sweden in a few days time :)

Will also then fixed the door rattle while the car is in the workshop.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Volvo SA but being done at another dealer

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I think I have a similar problem with my 2013 V40 T3 with only 4400km on the odo. When changing gears, especially from 1th to 2th and 2th to 3th there is a "clunk" sound from the front of the car. It's like there is some slack in the drivetrain. If I release the clutch slowly to put tension on the drivetrain before the full engine power is applied, the sound is avoided.

I tested the car by letting it roll slowly and pushing on the clutch. Everytime I released it, I felt the slack and heard the clunk sound.

This is also preventing me from making smooth gear changes on higher revs, as the car would clunk and skip a bit even if I time the gear change with the engine RPM..

I am going to take the car to the dealer, but I hope that you can let me know if you have the same problem on your V40's

-Stephen from Norway

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hi,

I think I have a similar problem with my 2013 V40 T3 .........

-Stephen from Norway

When VoodooBOB reported the problem I thought it might be caused by excessive crankshaft end-float resulting from a missing or badly worn crankshaft thrust washer, but it's unlikely that that would be the case on two engines. Strange.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is this maybe a problem with all the T3 transmissions?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

I think I have a similar problem with my 2013 V40 T3 with only 4400km on the odo. When changing gears, especially from 1th to 2th and 2th to 3th there is a "clunk" sound from the front of the car. It's like there is some slack in the drivetrain. If I release the clutch slowly to put tension on the drivetrain before the full engine power is applied, the sound is avoided.

I tested the car by letting it roll slowly and pushing on the clutch. Everytime I released it, I felt the slack and heard the clunk sound.

This is also preventing me from making smooth gear changes on higher revs, as the car would clunk and skip a bit even if I time the gear change with the engine RPM..

I am going to take the car to the dealer, but I hope that you can let me know if you have the same problem on your V40's

-Stephen from Norway
This is exactly what I get. The last 2 days I decided to drive according to the eco theme, and and you have to change gears much quicker at lower revs. Now I almost hear it every time. From 3rd gear upwards it is quiet.

It depends on the revs of the car, and how you release the clutch then you hear this forward backward thumb noise. If you high rev the car en change gears, you don't hear it.

I am still waiting for the gearbox to arrive in the country, and then still to be fixed, but will report back on the issue.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a mail yesterday from the dealer who will be all the repairs, saying the new gearbox has arrived, car is booked for next week Wednesday, so hopefully next week this time, my still almost new V40 should be fixed and driving like it should

·
Registered
630 Posts
Got a mail yesterday from the dealer who will be all the repairs, saying the new gearbox has arrived, car is booked for next week Wednesday, so hopefully next week this time, my still almost new V40 should be fixed and driving like it should
Would you ask your dealer to tell you the nature of the problem in the original gearbox? I'm sure that other members as well as me will be interested.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Car was in last week at another dealer, spent 3 days there, fitting the new gearbox, checking the rattle in the door and passenger seat. They have checked whole suspension, door rattle fixed, they picked up wind noise from the rear doors which I didn't even notice.

They said there was a lot of backlash coming from the gearbox. I asked the dealer if they know what was wrong with the gearbox, they just said they are not allowed to open it, as it has to be sent back, that Volvo itself diagnose it and see what was the issue. So don't really have an answer yet, but should get feedback in the next few weeks.

Must say, gearbox feels nice and tight again, when you go into 1st, or from 1st to second, it is 98% better. Still hear something depending on the speed of the car, but might be feedback from the suspension because of the sport pack and wheels.

Had the car on the highway over the weekend, and felt very solid on the road, even with fairly wind we had the last 2 days, no issues at 160km/h.

Other thing I have noticed, when you use the auto stop start at robots, when the car starts, the motor felt very loose, now that I got the car back, there is a slight vibration, and the car is going, you almost don't feel the car start anymore :). Hope it stays like that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Its almost impossible to change from first to second gear without the knock or clunk sound.

The clunk sound is only present from first to second.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been driving the car a week now since the replacement. It is much better, most of the times it is now quiet when changing, and you don't hear and feel that forward and backward noise. There is still a slight knock now and then at low rpm, but as the dealer said to me, there is about 1cm play on the engine mountings, and they have said that in their report, so hopefully Volvo will re-look at this and manufacturer better ones that keeps the engine more in place and quieter.

Gears also feels nice and stiff :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts