Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased an automatic V40 T2 petrol and I'm looking to make mods in the near future. I've seen plenty of C30's, S40's and V60's being modified online but rarely any V40's apart from one or two in the far east. Why is this? Maybe because V40's generally appeal to older age groups and less so to teenagers and young adults? Either way I feel somewhat lost in regards to conversing with other likeminded V40's owners about performance/cosmetic mods. Any insight?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Possibly the age of the car, the C30 and S40 are the last generation of cars, the modding scene generally focuses on older models that are cheaper to buy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The V40 is still with an age group who appreciate the design. It will take some time to get to the group who think any change is an 'improvement'. Just because you can paint something black does not mean that the Form and Surface shape is improved. Just being different is not a good design philosophy.

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
68 plate V40 R Design
2 Posts
I guess it depends what you class as mods... I purchased a 68 plate V40 D2 Rdesign last december, and the first thing I did was mud guards, a tow bar, roof rails and a cheap set of knock off rubber Rdesign matts for the cup holders :p I love the shape of the car, so wouldn't mess with the body, but looking online for any sort of engine mods (I always like to replace intercooler and turbo hoses with silicone ones) has drawn up blanks. If i can find a genuine map for a decent price then that might be my next "mod".

·
Registered
757 Posts
Modern Volvos, indeed most modern cars, are difficult to "modify" in the traditional sense beyond what are generally known as accessories.
I've added the under-boot-floor tray, a waterproof boot mat, a set of rubber mats for the cupholders and other storage trays, a better set of floor mats with stitching that echoes the seat stitching. And best of all Polestar Optimisation. That's it.
I do intend to add a 12V power outlet in the boot and the side storage net, just haven't got around to fitting them yet.
Just remembered, I replaced the rear wiper when it needed doing, with a version that was about an inch longer than standard; still clears the spoiler but will need replacing again soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plenty of mods on ebay,lowering springs by various manufacturers & side skirts & front splitters from a company called Maxton,Heko wind deflectors & of course the German company called Heiko,who while expensive do have some wonderful modifications & last but not least polyurethane bushes all round

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. I was referring to mainly engine/powertrain enhancements as apposed to cosmetic mods as I am considering an engine remap in the near future. There are a few video's out there showcasing improved horsepower figures but not many. I have seen that quite a few companies offer remapping support for V40's though, so I shall look at review's and hopefully go with a reputable company.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've recently purchased an automatic V40 T2 petrol and I'm looking to make mods in the near future. I've seen plenty of C30's, S40's and V60's being modified online but rarely any V40's apart from one or two in the far east. Why is this? Maybe because V40's generally appeal to older age groups and less so to teenagers and young adults? Either way I feel somewhat lost in regards to conversing with other likeminded V40's owners about performance/cosmetic mods. Any insight?
A V40 R Design is a gun machine, it is quicker than a V60. Older age groups buy them because they are retired and you can fit your surfboard in the back in OZ. Teenagers are banned in Australia for young drivers as the R Design is too powerful. Teenagers and your adults CAN'T afford them anyway.

·
Registered
757 Posts
True, R-design is styling. T5 is the most powerful, then you end up in the argument between manual (is that available with T5 engines?) vs automatic and front vs all-wheel drive.
I'm happy with my T5 AWD auto with Polestar "optimisation", it's PDQ. And yes I'm in the older age group where insuring powerful cars is a non-issue.

Reactions: 90sbaby and SMV4013

·
Registered
17 Posts
just recently purchased a V40 D4 R Design Pro ,auto 33k miles on clock ..pretty decent find from an older guy who bought and never drove it ...i have every intention of doing some minor mods to exterior ....noticed Chunk68 shouted out some brands i've never heard off ...who would you guys most recomend in terms of Qauilty build and not something that would fly off at 120MPH lol prefer bolt on not stuck on?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts