Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 V40 T2 Auto - Inscription - Winter Pack - Sarpas 17" - Mussel Blue
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is not due for it's annual service from a few months but..

I parked up yesterday ( on a slope I must add + I got the the oil level message warning saying top up with 1 litre... ) is fine parked up on the level..

I have a long drive 180 miles today. Do I drive ( mostly motorway ) and ignore the message ?

I have seen on other posts I can check the oil level on a level road b holding the start button ( feet off the pedals ) for 5 3 - 4 seconds but I also read this is more of an averaged out reading ?

I'd like to top up the oil using the recommended brand grade today ( or least before the next service ) but I'm struggling to find anywhere that stocks it.. ? Castrol is mentioned in the handbook ?

Being a Sunday I thought I'd goto Hal "frauds" ( sorry old term ) before my travels but they don't stock anything suitable according the website.

Tried a few local Shell Garages but again nothing in stock.. 0 - 20

Can anyone confirm / help pretty please ?

Think my only option will be Euro Carparts ( A few are actually open on a Sunday )

Mobil Super 3000 Formula VC Engine Oil - 0W-20 - 1Ltr

or

Shell Helix Ultra Professional AS-L Engine Oil - 0W-20 - 1Ltr

Advice and or any ideas very gratefully received

Cheers all

Stu

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
766 Posts
Add a little, keep the rest in the boot in case... dont overfill, can cause more damage than too little
The Volvo approval is fairly crucial, but you can normally add less than a litre between servicing without issue, especially the ones you looked at
Ive never had the quantity displayed on dash, just "low" but went to low in a week from "ok"
Just under 1/4 L added and the next day check showed just under full. Our local Harry Halfords chap cheerfully handed me a bottle of A5/B5 5/30 when I enquired! They really are only good for selling sponges

·
Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
230 Posts
You'll need 0w 20 with the RBS0-2AE on the back so you know it conforms to the Volvo standard, oil can be hard to come by especially on a Sunday, my local Wilkinson's stock that oil with RBS0-2AE approval on the back of the bottle, they are open Sundays but depends if you have a branch close to you and if they stock it in that branch or not but it's a thought. eBay is good if you don't mind waiting for a few days. If it's an out of the blue message and out of character for the car it might be wise to get it check for any leaks, you can look under the car but they have a floor pan fitted so might be hard to detect without removing it. If it's a main dealer services car Volvo will happily top up for free and check for leaks. Volvo do say they can use up to 1lt per 1k miles, must admit that would seem a little over the top but a top up in-between servicing wouldn't be unusual. Put the car on a level surface allow to cool for a few hours and check what the display says on the button, if it still say low I'd put in about 400ml allow to sit for 30 minutes and check the button again and see what it says.

The manual does say it has to be driven for something like 20 miles for the sensor to recalibrate but find with my MY17 D2 checking via the dashboard will give a reading of what it is at that moment in time. Mine could come up low then add a small amount of oil then check it again and it will come up OK

·
Registered
537 Posts
If there is no add oil warning when parked on level ground, but only when parked on a slope, why do you want to top it up? Obviously on a slope, depending on the orientation of the car, there is likely to be a false reading either lower or higher than the correct level. That is why it is important to only check the oil on a level surface at least 5 minutes after switching off the engine. Unless you are getting an "add oil" message or low level warning when checked or parked on level ground, I would ignore it.

·
Registered
2016 V40 T2 Auto - Inscription - Winter Pack - Sarpas 17" - Mussel Blue
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@RS3100 That's a fair point mate.. I understand it fully having owned cars for years but to me it was a sign I should check the oil level. Of course I couldn't check it using the dip stick and this weekend with my visit to my old home town of Milton Keynes ( love the place so don't start on about roundabouts and concrete cows ) I have now done 400 miles driving.

I'm 52 and have loved my cars since I past my test in 1987.

I have always had my own car but you live and learn as you / we all know.

For me personally preventative maintenance was the mantra used by the Petrochemical Pump Manufacturer I used to work for. It sounded like a sales pitch to many but tbh it's the best advice if you want to avoid mechanical failures.

With a newer car than I have ever owned, previously I had a 2012 Ford Focus 3 Titanium, I simply was wasn't confident to risk it.

I knew how to top up the oil and ( with this forums and Euro Car Parts advice I put the right amount in ).

Before topping up on level ground the reading just said LOW - After adding 500ml and checking again I had a horizontal gauge with what I believe to be a red marker just under the maximum mark ? This is what I ( many of use I guess ) would have done in our previous cars.

Anyway reading your posts together with a additional confirmation from Euro Car Parts in Avonmouth ( Only one on my journey near me open on a Sunday ) I was able to spend time with my Sons and Friends.

I'm glad I did spend a little bit of extra time and, currently due to the high prices of motor oil generally, I'd much rather pay the £26.49 ( can be £14.57 with the current 45% discount offered on the site ) than have the potential huge expense of premature engine wear..

I don't work for Euro Car Parts nor do I get and back handers for passing on my experiences but I personally have been using them for years.

PS :-
Mobil Super 3000 Formula VC Engine Oil - 0W-20 - 1Ltr is a lot cheaper but wasn't in stock for, I guess, obvious reasons

It's just me and fully understand your logic..

Thanks again

Essay ends

Stu

·
Registered
537 Posts
@RS3100 That's a fair point mate.. I understand it fully having owned cars for years but to me it was a sign I should check the oil level. Of course I couldn't check it using the dip stick and this weekend with my visit to my old home town of Milton Keynes ( love the place so don't start on about roundabouts and concrete cows ) I have now done 400 miles driving.

I'm 52 and have loved my cars since I past my test in 1987.

I have always had my own car but you live and learn as you / we all know.

For me personally preventative maintenance was the mantra used by the Petrochemical Pump Manufacturer I used to work for. It sounded like a sales pitch to many but tbh it's the best advice if you want to avoid mechanical failures.

With a newer car than I have ever owned, previously I had a 2012 Ford Focus 3 Titanium, I simply was wasn't confident to risk it.

I knew how to top up the oil and ( with this forums and Euro Car Parts advice I put the right amount in ).

Before topping up on level ground the reading just said LOW - After adding 500ml and checking again I had a horizontal gauge with what I believe to be a red marker just under the maximum mark ? This is what I ( many of use I guess ) would have done in our previous cars.

Anyway reading your posts together with a additional confirmation from Euro Car Parts in Avonmouth ( Only one on my journey near me open on a Sunday ) I was able to spend time with my Sons and Friends.

I'm glad I did spend a little bit of extra time and, currently due to the high prices of motor oil generally, I'd much rather pay the £26.49 ( can be £14.57 with the current 45% discount offered on the site ) than have the potential huge expense of premature engine wear..

I don't work for Euro Car Parts nor do I get and back handers for passing on my experiences but I personally have been using them for years.

PS :-
Mobil Super 3000 Formula VC Engine Oil - 0W-20 - 1Ltr is a lot cheaper but wasn't in stock for, I guess, obvious reasons

It's just me and fully understand your logic..

Thanks again

Essay ends

Stu
Stu,

One thing about the gauge on the DIM (instrument cluster). Although it has the appearance of a calibrated gauge, it is just a dumb graphic. It can either show Low, Normal (the 3/4 full position you describe) or overfull (Oil Service Required). There is nothing in-between, and the bar on the gauge doesn't move to reflect minor changes in the oil level. It will show the same graphic as long as the averaged oil level reading is between the low and high positions.

The "gauge" displays an indication averaged over consecutive drive cycles, so is not a real time reading, even though the level sensor in the sump transmits real time information to the CEM.

In other words, it's dumbed down about as much as it can be!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts