Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there

is there a possibility that my daytime running lights in the lower part of the bumper is always on?
this turns off when the dipped beam is required.

Too bad, because these look very good on the day, at night and I think that would look even better :)

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Nope, not when you have the Xenon lights on your car, as soon as it switches to the main lights, the daylights go off.

Not to sure about the Halogen lights, as I saw some photos from Heico, and all of them were on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know this has been mentioned before. The fact that there is no lights on indicator to say you have gone from DRL to DMB when set to auto (green LED is always on). But what would happen if your Insurer or PLOD asked if you had your DMB on. You could not legally answer them (Yes) as you do not know if involved in an accident.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know this has been mentioned before. The fact that there is no lights on indicator to say you have gone from DRL to DMB when set to auto (green LED is always on). But what would happen if your Insurer or PLOD asked if you had your DMB on. You could not legally answer them (Yes) as you do not know if involved in an accident.
On mine, the green LED is only on then the main headlights are on.

When the DRL's are on, the green LED is off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hm, the green led in my volvo is always on. no matter if the main light is on or only the DRL's.
Just checked this today.

Is there any reason why volvo not let you switch the drl's on when the main light is running?

·
Registered
273 Posts
@rick84...is it because your vanity wants the drl's on rather than Volvo's long heritage of safety switching to dmb's lol...? Frankly I see cars with the drl's left on when the dmb's fire up and I think it looks naff...I've come to terms with my Volvo being "different"...i'm sure there'll be a DIY fix soon enough. Darren

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Come to think of it, are fog lights no longer the in thing? I see like the new Golf R, BMW sport kits and Volvo no longer have any fog lights in the front.

10-15 Years ago everyone went for the front fog lights, and had them at the same time as the main headlights, even on clear non raining evenings.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Come to think of it, are fog lights no longer the in thing? I see like the new Golf R, BMW sport kits and Volvo no longer have any fog lights in the front.

10-15 Years ago everyone went for the front fog lights, and had them at the same time as the main headlights, even on clear non raining evenings.
That is truly a South African thing. Foglights were so expensive so if you had them, you flaunted them. It's actually illegal to have fog lights on if the conditions did not call for them, a friend in Jhb actually got a fine for driving with them on in his BMW 325i (back in 1998).

On the other hand, driving back from Durban to Jhb in 1999 I truly saw the value of foglights. The mist near Newcastle was so thick that normal headlamps just reflected directly back. I eventually resorted to no main/high beam and fogs only, and I was able to successfully navigate through the fog. We have fog around here in the UK as well, and I have used my fogs on many occasions so not having them on the V40 may not be the greatest thing. However if the situation were like mentioned above, I can switch to DRL only with main/high off, so that may work. Only time will tell (pretty sure it may be illegal though)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
@ ih8modem, Yes, I also heard the story that running your fog lights during the day was illegal, and you would get fined. I also always switched them on, hehe, looked so cool, and never got pulled over. On my Mazda, the fog light switch was permanently on, so every time I switched my lights on, they also went on.

Now the pigs (traffic cops) just sit under a tree, eating KFC and getting fatter.

PS! You still see lots of MK1 Golfs with aftermarket fog lights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have the dash brightness turned down slightly, then when the leds turn off and the main lights on I can tell as the dash gets turned down slightly..

..then again when the leds get switched on the dash gets switched up to full day time brightness..

·
Registered
945 Posts
If the dlr are sat around the headlights they can simply dim when the main lights are turned on, if however they are sat low on the car then they must be turned off, it is all part of the regs.

And for those who drive around with fogs on, you are prats, they are dazzling especially when it is wet and to drivers in low slung, try and think of others, also it makes you like a twerp (I was thinking of putting something else/stronger, 6 letters, but the filters will not let me post that)

·
Registered
227 Posts
have read your comments on fog lights and have to agree and disagree if the main beams covered the area directly in front of the car then dont use them unless its fog .but they dont and in a country where pot holes are every where i for one use most of the time .I dont use them on highways or roads that i know are good ,but around my area the more lights the better

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have the dash brightness turned down slightly, then when the leds turn off and the main lights on I can tell as the dash gets turned down slightly..

..then again when the leds get switched on the dash gets switched up to full day time brightness..

I didn't think this was the case as I was going to do the exact same thing to tell if the main lights were on or not but I believe that the interior/dash lights have their own light sensors and dim independently to the exterior lights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lighting logic, upgrade (Excl. JP)
Finally on par with the rest of the 2014 volvos.

Op. No.: 36005

Updated lighting logic gives your car an attractive look during the hours of daylight, through the lighting of the front and rear lights along with the daytime running lights.
The upgrade means that the following lights will come on in combination with the daytime running lights:
Front parking lights
Rear parking lights
Number plate lighting
Side marker lights

Via the accessory website of Greece.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Lighting logic, upgrade (Excl. JP)
Finally on par with the rest of the 2014 volvos.

Op. No.: 36005

Updated lighting logic gives your car an attractive look during the hours of daylight, through the lighting of the front and rear lights along with the daytime running lights.
The upgrade means that the following lights will come on in combination with the daytime running lights:
Front parking lights
Rear parking lights
Number plate lighting
Side marker lights

Via the accessory website of Greece.
This is how my car is.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I need to bring this back from the grave :grin2:

Has anybody been able to do a DIY to have the DRL on with the DMB?

Don't know why they go off, they look sick when left on with the dmb!! I would like an option to choose on or off with the dmb. :nerd:

I found this: On the 2015 Model
http://support.volvocars.com/uk/car...4w20&article=22d1f5d93a5fddf3c0a801e8002f90d8

It states: On cars with active Xenon headlamps the daytime running light lamps are switched on with reduced brightness when main or dipped beam is activated.

I also have Active Xenon....:crying:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.