Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need someones help, im looking for led bulbs or kit that works on a V40 2015 D2 with halogen headlamps.

Can someone help me? Im looking for that great Xenon look 6000k.

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
You really shouldn't fit LEDs in your halogen headlights (without the focusing lenses). It's the same as fitting HID. They're much to powerful and the light beams need to be directed properly only onto the road. simply using the reflector from the stock headlight isn't enough and it will bounce the light all over the place. (especially into the eyes of the drivers on the opposite lanes, which temporarily blinds them) all led and xenon lighting systems use lenses to project the light on the right trajectory. And in many countries it's illegal to replace the intended (recommended in the car manual's) light bulbs with HID or LED. I can recommend to switch your current setup with a pair of Phillips night vision halogen bulbs or something more powerful if you feel like you need to see better, and also maybe take into consideration getting a headlight polish if they're looking a bit dim or hazy. Plus in many cases you need to solder a resistance on the bulb's contacts or on the circuit because LED use less energy than halogen or HID and in many cars (other brands) you will get an error of a burnt out bulb.

·
Registered
698 Posts
OEM HID's ("Xenon") are typically 4300K or thereabouts, 6000K looks very "chav".

You can get good, main brand, legal but bright bulbs that are very close to that, with the filament aligned precisely to match the optics of the headlight projector/reflector/lens.

If you are in the UK changes to the MOT later this year will make the LED/Xenon replacements an immediate fail, for good reason as explained above.

Reactions: MadMountainbike

·
Registered
1 Posts
The dipped beams use a H7 fit, double check the manual before ordering though. The Phillips Gen.2 Xtreme LED's are very good, but also quite expensive at £120 on Amazon right now. It does say a few times on the box that they're not road legal though. It's up to you whether it's worth it or both though

Hello,

I need someones help, im looking for led bulbs or kit that works on a V40 2015 D2 with halogen headlamps.

Can someone help me? Im looking for that great Xenon look 6000k.

thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
You should use regular halogen bulbs (as they are meant for the reflector mirror lenses. You can of course, clean the lens (I'm a bit OCD and I clean mine once every 2 weeks with spray, and microfibre wipe, have Thor Hammer LEDs), or it it's hazy, there are some companies can restore dull yellowish faded lenses, or there are some home kits. Alternatively, you can fit upgraded bulbs, like Philips Xtreme Vision +130s or Osram Nightbreakers Unlimited. For highbeams if you wish, the brightest Philips Racing vision. All these will still be around 3700k, so yellow-white light. Standard bulbs usually are around 3300-3500k, so proper yellow. Proper Bi-xenons would be 4300k (white light) and LEDs are usually 5500k (white-blue light).

I have read briefly about Philips Utinion LED H7s, seems good, but not sure if it lives up to what it said, and or if it would be suitable / ok with legislation / bright enough.

Read here:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently started using LED H7 and it's really really important to buy some proper ones with a good LED and LED placement. I bought a good set through a dutch retailer for around 90 euros. Which isn't cheap at all, but I really wanted to try it out. The key to successfully use LED h7s is a proper headlight adjustment with a mechanic. I've done it with a mate of mine and the result is having for certainly 90% the exact same beaming pattern as with regular halogen bulbs and a big difference in the amount of light.
I'm happy with it and didn't receive any complaints from others. (Asked a few friends to check it out on a drive by)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Reinberto, which led's did you buy for your reflector headlights because i am looking to get some of these too. I drive a V40 Cross Country and i think that the led's are so much brighter than the standard bulbs plus better looking.

·
Registered
157 Posts
One image is just whiter and not better. See this...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts