Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I got my V40 on Monday, I realised there are two LED position lights in the upper part of headlights (besides the LED DRLs on the lower front bumper) that are normally on during the day (with auto lights). I haven't noticed this before, neither on other V40s I saw IRL, nor in promo footages.

Can anybody enlighten me on this? Have I just missed this before, or is this part of 2014 tweaks? Perhaps a market-related feature (my V40 is EU spec)?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't think they are LED's, just some lights there, tiny little ones at the top of the headlight. If it's the same ones I am thinking of, they come on when you press the light button on the remote ?

Traditional park lights I think.

·
Registered
221 Posts
These lights marked 1 and 2 come on when you activate the lights from the remote Lights1.jpg

·
Registered
718 Posts
Do you mean the small amber lights, if so they are not LEDs. I changed mine to white bulbs as the amber ones could be mistaken for indicator lights. Some drivers cannot distinguish a flashing light from a steady one :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These lights marked 1 and 2 come on when you activate the lights from the remote View attachment 274
Do you mean the small amber lights, if so they are not LEDs. I changed mine to white bulbs as the amber ones could be mistaken for indicator lights. Some drivers cannot distinguish a flashing light from a steady one :)
Mine look pretty LEDish, although I didn't check (xenon vs halogen lights?). Yes they are regular position/parking lights, it's only I haven't noticed them before I got my V40.

It seems that mine come on along with the DRLs, not just when you activate the lights on the remote. In any case, it's not that I mind them. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have HIDs and on mine the beam/line LED's that run along the top of the headlight, light up when the dipped beam is on and the DLR's turn off

Oh it is a MY13 R design

·
Registered
96 Posts
It would seem that if you have HID lights you get LED parking lights at the top of the headlight. My R Design has standard W5W bulbs (not LED) as I have halogen headlights.
I would love to have LED parking lights as when my DRLs are on I have normal "yellowy" (by contrast) lights at the top of my headlights.

Are they available from Volvo parts dept or do I need to go online? I have seen 12v 1W LED bulbs in Halfords but don't know if they would work as they're a different wattage.

Any advice?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It would seem that if you have HID lights you get LED parking lights at the top of the headlight. My R Design has standard W5W bulbs (not LED) as I have halogen headlights.
I would love to have LED parking lights as when my DRLs are on I have normal "yellowy" (by contrast) lights at the top of my headlights.

Are they available from Volvo parts dept or do I need to go online? I have seen 12v 1W LED bulbs in Halfords but don't know if they would work as they're a different wattage.

Any advice?
All LEDs will be a lower wattage than the standard bulbs I think, as they're LEDs

If I'm correct you have two options, LEDs designed for (and not designed for) a car with a CANBUS system (which is used to monitor bulb failures).

I'm not sure if the Volvo system detects bulb failures for those bulbs, or just the main headlight ones, if you are concerned I'd just get the bulbs for a car with a CANBUS system. They have resistors inside to trick the car into thinking the standard bulb is still fitted

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks Azibux
I have seen 5w LEDs on Fleabay but, as you say, I know that for standard household bulbs lower led wattage gives the same light but wasn't sure if the wattage difference would stop the bulb working or not or if 1w would be too dim or 5w too bright

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have not seen led' s described by a wattage before, they tend to simply work on the fitment type and the number/type of led's used.

May be the wattage is used to describe the type of bulb they are supposed to replace.

Why are you wanting to replace the amber position lights with LEDs ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
denn1s on my car I do not have the "Amber" side markers, merely the normal "off white" parking lights (which also come on with the DRLs on Auto.
As the DRLs are SO white, they stand out as looking yellows by comparison.
Just want all white lights when I'm on DRLs.

Reactions: denn1s

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the wattage (I'm not sure about brightness). The bulbs should work, just the only issue you might have is a 'failed bulb' warning on the dash. Best to get CANBUS compatible LED bulbs as they will have the built in resistors to trick the system into thinking they're the standard bulb

Personally I think bright LEDs would look good as they'd match the DRLs

I am also considering this upgrade but haven't got round to it yet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hiya, I noticed my 14.5my has these LEDs which run with the DRL's and headlamps.
What I don't have are the small side marker lamps at the top outside edge of the lamp unit??? I had them on a courtesy car and wonder if they are a non connect due to spec?? Also my mirrors don't turn on ( lamps in the mirrors ) when I unlock, but do come on when light button on keyfob is pressed???

Both models in question are LUX but mine is
XC D2 , courtesy car was an SE LUX non XC......

·
Registered
186 Posts
Also my mirrors don't turn on ( lamps in the mirrors ) when I unlock, but do come on when light button on keyfob is pressed???
This can be switched on/off under My Car menu settings.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There was a change somewhen between my14 and my15 where they removed the amber side markers and for my15, the DRLs are dimmed instead of switched off when the headlamps turn on. I really like the look with the dimmed DRLs but as far as my dealer was informed, there is no way to add this to earlier models.

In germany there is also a law (yes, we have laws for everything...) that prohibits the use of side markers and dimmed DRLs at the same time. Dimmed DRLs would act as side markers and you are not allowed to have multiple ones, so the amber ones had to go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts