Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I was just swapping over the licence plate with a private licence plate and have just discovered that rather than using the mounting points and sticky pads for the rest of it, they've drilled the plate directly into the bumper!?

What are peoples views on this? personally I don't understand what the point of this if it comes with mounts?

What if I wanted to put a narrower plate on now? or if I took my car abroad and went to a country where the format is different? :mad:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine are not drilled. I'd be annoyed, but what can you do? Are you going to put a narrower plate on? If not, forget about it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They did this to mine to, complained, would not give me a new bumper. They would never be color matched anyways.. Got free service atleast..

I have removed the plate holder, and use screws trough the plate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine are not drilled. I'd be annoyed, but what can you do? Are you going to put a narrower plate on? If not, forget about it.
Very simple.. I can ask them to replace both bumpers and then attach it properly.. this is not what I expected when paying almost £30k for a car.

Reactions: Yellowbelly

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had this on our lasses civic type r in 04. I specifically told them not to put the plates on and even put it in writing to them, went to collect it and the plates were on, the stupid bit being they had drilled straight through the boot, I went ape.

The result was they paid me £600 to fix it at a bodyshop of my choice, the stupid bit was Honda customer service could not see the issue and said the body/rust warranty would not be effected but if I had it repaired somewhere other than Honda the warranty would be void (all rubbish never mind completely illogical)

There were loads of other issues with the car and I flogged it after 9 months

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm not using a plate holder either so the dealer said it might get bent by wind/carwash/idiots if they don't attach the outsides so they asked me if I wanted to have extra holes drilled too, which I thankfully declined :D

A new plate is cheaper than an new bumper ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi all,

I was just swapping over the licence plate with a private licence plate and have just discovered that rather than using the mounting points and sticky pads for the rest of it, they've drilled the plate directly into the bumper!?

What are peoples views on this? personally I don't understand what the point of this if it comes with mounts?

What if I wanted to put a narrower plate on now? or if I took my car abroad and went to a country where the format is different? :mad:

I would be so annoyed if that was my new car. The garage is responsible they should put it right, and the employee who fitted them should have more sense and should have been spoken to by the service manager about his workmanship. Saying that, this attached photo shows the condition of the reg plate a employee fitted to my new D3 the screen print is smudged, Yellow Font Number Line Vehicle registration plate
The garage replaced them no problem.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm not using a plate holder either so the dealer said it might get bent by wind/carwash/idiots if they don't attach the outsides so they asked me if I wanted to have extra holes drilled too, which I thankfully declined :D

A new plate is cheaper than an new bumper ;)
What rubbish, do they get it from the Volvo training academy for bull ****.

All I can say is I must have been very lucky then as the wind has never caused an issues with my number plates that stick out at the sides.

Have they even tried to break a number plate, it takes a lot of effort to break them, this is all that happened to one of mine when it grounded at 60 mph a sudden dip in the road (I did actually expect it to have shattered but no 99% of it survived) look under the first E

Tell them you want it repairing somewhere you choose as all they will do is get the chips away guy to sort it when he is next in tarting up used cars before delivery

·
Registered
630 Posts
Have they even tried to break a number plate, it takes a lot of effort to break them, this is all that happened to one of mine when it grounded at 60 mph a sudden dip in the road (I did actually expect it to have shattered but no 99% of it survived) look under the first E

I've seen that registration number (with proper spacing) on an orange Elise in Ripon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We have quite flimsy metal (tin) plates in Germany and they do bend quite easily, especially at the higher speeds we are aloud to travel at. It's not like the Plate will break from the wind, but the ends tend to move away from the bumper which then increases the risk of getting them pulled of in a car wash.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ah I did not pick up on you having pressed plates etc, my mum has similar (lived in Spain) and yes they do bend very easily.

You also have to be careful you do not cut yourself on then when washing the car :0(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have sent an email to the Sales Manager in Reading, UK (Lancaster Volvo Dealership) to see what response they give.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good luck with your email, and if you don't get any satisfaction go to a higher person in the volvo chain. (Shy bairns get nout)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I haven't checked mine, but it looked okay. I still want to know why cars must have a front number plate, if motorbikes only have 1 at the back. It just spoils the look of the car

·
Registered
945 Posts
Nice Lotus, loving the '90's retro paint scheme.
Not quite 90's the 3d pigments were not developed until the early 2000's and this unique 21 way flip was not developed until 2005;) (and has never been repeated, the flip coat alone cost £650 /ltr:p)

The paint work on the Elise looks awful! ;) Several different tones. It must be the nuances of the light playing on the angles of the body work or a poor image? Cant possibly be the Elise finish? :)
Here is a better one showing the flips, used to make the TVR owners green with envy :thumbup:

·
Registered
945 Posts

I've seen that registration number (with proper spacing) on an orange Elise in Ripon.
Would that be this one

It is the same car (I have taken it to the rip on classic a couple of times) I just had it painted again as I had a bit of damage (a bit bigger than a stone chip through the armourfended that could not be blown in because of the flip

So Instead of paying for a full respray but to end up with the same colour, I decided to have a change and had it all done again but this time just in a 5 way flip.

My car is well known in lotus circles including at the factory and by Clive Chapman (son of Lotus founder Colin Chatman)

As you can tell I am into paint hence why I get so hung up on poorly matched paints

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.