Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, what do you think would be the Lifespan of a 120hp D2 (MY 2013-2016)?

I've heard a lot of premium car brands car's had trouble even reaching 150.000km, and I would like to hear your opinion

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Nobody knows yet - the 120bhp D2 is a VEA engine, which were only released in 2014 (and the diesels are still having teething problems). It remains to be seen as to how they will fare in the longevity stakes, though the D2 is probably very understressed as it shares most of it's internals with the more powerful variants. The rest of the mechanicals and most of the electrical system are the same as the Mk2.5 Ford Focus, so are pretty well-proven.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine has now done 31k miles and apart from the coolant pipe that fell off the engine has been fine, even after driving for half a mile or so with the low coolant warning up.
So it seems quite bullet proof as that may well have wrecked other engines.

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Momentum R-Design D2, 2017
68 Posts
We have seen loads of variable points of view.
Some say it's a pretty good engine, smooth, for long distances and low consumption.
Others report problems, but none of them it's engine faillure or major issues with internals... so, with good maintenance, obviously with the correct usage like every engine, i think and that's my opinion, it's a very reliable engine for more than 300k without problems... of course, clutch, turbo, and all peripherals are allways wear components and not critical to replace (normal in all brands and engines)

·
Registered
387 Posts
My D2 (1.6D) is now at 85000 miles. It has a full service history and has had no problems so far. I was thinking of changing up to a V60 or V90..... but then I saw how much road tax is going to rob me and I decided I can keep my zero tax rated V40 for a few more years

Reactions: VeeForty Deetoo
1 - 8 of 8 Posts