Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm expecting delivery of my V40 next month and thinking of getting load carriers, a roof box and some bike holders has anyone out there got the volvo ones or would people recommend another make? I was going to get the load carriers from volvo and I like the look of the volvo Space Design 420 box but was thinking of getting Thule bike carriers. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I am also looking at getting roof carrier with bike holders for mine, but don't know if towbar is better option. Wind noise when going the roof rack option, but it looks so cool on the roof.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,
I've got the Volvo Load Carriers and Thule 951 Proride bike carriers. Both of these products look and work very well. I looked at several other load carriers (roof bars) but did not like the way they looked. To be honest, I think the roof bars are actually manufactured for Volvo by Thule. There is a clue in the design features and place of manufacture. Both Volvo load carriers and Thule bike carriers were made in Poland.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Yes, the Volvo ones are made by Thule, specific for the Volvo. Here is SA, buying it direct from Volvo is much cheaper than going to Thule and getting it for you car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Has anyone any experience of using Thule 591 and the genuine Volvo load carrier bars? I have both but could seem to get the carrier to fit the bars as they were too wide?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got the Volvo carrier for my CC as it was good quality and actually cheaper than a number of alternatives that I priced up. I intend to use mine for racing kayaks using proprietary vee bar carriers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Has anyone any experience of using Thule 591 and the genuine Volvo load carrier bars? I have both but could seem to get the carrier to fit the bars as they were too wide?
Yes. Use the T-track to fit them to the bars, rather than the clamps that go around the whole bar. You'll need to cut the rubber strips that live in the T-track to go around the bike rack. I bought a spare length of it so I've still go the original full length strips. Search for Thule 52102 on Amazon or eBay for it. One length was enough for me to cut into three sections for both bars with two bike racks.

The T-track system is extremely good. I was nervous the first time I used it but I've never had any issues with it. This is the only picture I can find that has the bars on it, but if I find a better one I'll post it.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks sdp. I posted this a year ago as I was hungover trying to fit bars and bike racks! Seemed like a Mensa test at the time! I've used them successfully on many occasions since and I've found them very good indeed. I might well get a spare length of rubber though, that's a good idea.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ha! I hadn't noticed the date of your post, just picked it up in the recent threads due to the reply.

Must remember to look properly before I respond :laugh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I recently got a quote for Roof Racks for my Volvo V40 T3. I am planning to carry my mountain bike using them. Anybody have any experience using them for mountain bike transport. Pros Cons?

Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
I find they're fine. I have a pair of Thule 591's that I use for both road bikes and mountain bikes. The mountain bikes are hard tail, I've no experience of full-sus I'm afraid. (I think the Thule 591 carriers have now been superseded by a slightly revised model as well.)

Being on the roof they are fully out of the way and I'm tall enough for loading them not to be an issue. If I had a tow bar fitted I'd be tempted to go with one of the rear mounts that use them due to the ease of loading and a lot less impact on fuel economy. I also sometimes use a vw transporter/camper with a rear rack although that's a rather different beast to the v40!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts