Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After exiting the motorway tonight, I noticed as I pulled away from the junction that there was no familiar surge of turbo boost. After a few more junctions and some walking pace stop-start traffic, a warning message popped up on the driver's display: "Brake system service required". On the next brake application, the pedal went solid - thankfully the slow pace of traffic meant that I was able to stop the car without too much of an issue.
Car Vehicle Speedometer Auto part Measuring instrument

I checked under the bonnet and found that a pipe at the back of the (d5204t4) engine had broken (see photo).
Auto part Vehicle Engine Fuel line Car

Closer examination showed that the connector of the circular (valve?) part had broken and was still lodged in the short length of pipe. With a little assistance, I found that holding the 2 ends of the pipe together resulted in the brake pedal behaving more normally. A temporary repair was made to get the car the short distance home.

I've checked VIDA and I cannot find the post number for the short length of pipe not the circular part. Does anybody know what these parts are (I suspect it is part of a vacuum system?) and what the part numbers are?

Car is a 2013 D4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update : This hose/pipe section was replaced and everything back to normal. But I'd say those tiny plastic pipes could snap for anyone at anytime.
Once you or your garage has the part it can be quickly replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update - fixed now. New part from Volvo £67.20 - fitted at home in 15 minutes :) Brakes and turbo back to normal.
Update : This hose/pipe section was replaced and everything back to normal. But I'd say those tiny plastic pipes could snap for anyone at anytime.
Once you or your garage has the part it can be quickly replaced.
What was that part called bud the circle part on my car has snapped can not see one anywhere

·
Registered
107 Posts
Since I have my car as a new, I noticed that this part here is too "loose" and engine vibrations shakes it too much and will follow to a problem soon or later.
My engine is 2.0 petrol, VEA. Here on first picture it is in its original state:

Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

I noticed these "free" holes on the plastic detail under it(marked in the blue circle).

And what I did... I used one "pig tail" (cable tie) to fix it(purple arrow) more stable through one of the free holes, showed on the previous picture. The cable tie is not tightened too much, just a little tight so that there is still this freedom of movement from the vibrations, but not as free as it was before.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Notice also the green arrows. These two pipes here have a contact when engine vibrates and it is more noticeable when you press the gas pedal and engine moves even more. So, I used electrical insulation tape on both pipes to reinforce the contact point between these two pipes and to prevent rubbing of the pipes.

I have this "modification" for almost 5 years, and it works, for now... : )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can anyone remember the part needed in this old post same happend to me yesterday.thanks
The same thing has just happened to me.
I think you have to buy the whole vacuum pipe, part no I found is 31400517 £72.50 +VAT from Volvo.
I can't figure out how to remove the pipe from the servo though as it is behind 2 other rigid pipes. Does anyone know how this comes out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts