Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

The first thing I noticed when testing a V40 R-Design Pro and another R-Design (the car we eventually bought) is how much louder the indicators sound when used. I know it sounds a bit daft and petty, but with only 6 months between the cars, I don't quite understand on why the sound is significantly louder - You'd think they would be one and the same components. With the car quieter than any other car we have previously bought, it really sticks out.

Thanks,
Aled.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The indicator sound to me is a little old fashioned, if that makes sense, in fact like you've noticed it was one of the first things that stood out.
It's just not a "soft" sound like more modern cars these days, it's a very "clicky" old fashioned indicator sort of sound.

I have the R Design Lux Nav, but what's the difference between the R Design Pro and the R Design, is it the Thor headlights ?, which for me arent that nice to look at, but that's just my own personal opinion.
Apart from the Thor units I can't really identify anything else that is much different ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That makes perfect sense, it does sound 'old fashioned'. There is a significant upgrade in features or spec when it came to the Pro that we also drove, possibly with more items that a standard Pro too, I'm not 100% sure. But you would assume that they would use the same indicator system for all versions of the V40. It's just loud in my car. And it is very petty, but annoying all the same.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's a bit odd when it comes to the spec on cars.
Mine for instance has both rear fog lights working yet I've seen on here many owners only have the one rear fog light that is wired up , we also have twin trumpet horns, yet there are some with a single trumpet horn.
The alarm on mine is a siren type sound, others have intermittent horn sound when the alarm is activated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The indicator sound to me is a little old fashioned, if that makes sense, in fact like you've noticed it was one of the first things that stood out.
It's just not a "soft" sound like more modern cars these days, it's a very "clicky" old fashioned indicator sort of sound.

I have the R Design Lux Nav, but what's the difference between the R Design Pro and the R Design, is it the Thor headlights ?, which for me arent that nice to look at, but that's just my own personal opinion.
Apart from the Thor units I can't really identify anything else that is much different ?
The LED (thor) headlights were standard on all models after the facelift - you didn't get a "basic" light option after that regardless of model. The pro definitely has 18 inch wheels as standard, maybe leather seats too? I have the pro but I am not exactly clear what extras I get as standard VS ones that were fitted optionally on my car...

I think some of the other things you mention (like single horn) were also cost savings measures post facelift, or at least some later model year.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have the electric memory leather seats on my R Design Lux Nav, it also includes memory function on the mirrors, not sure if it was standard though ?
I upgraded to the 18" alloy along with the Panoramic glass roof.
The Active Xeons were also an upgrade I think and the larger 7" media screen.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ours is I think a Lux Nav (gives larger screen) with various packs added, so not much missing.
IIRC seat/mirror power/memory is part of the Xenium Pack (on ours) which includes the glass roof.
Active bending lights is in the Winter Illumination Pack and we also have the Driver Support Pack and few other single options.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I ticked almost every option box, which looking back was a bit silly, but I also did the same thing on my previous car.
The memory seat /mirror function is never used as I'm the only one driving the V40, the active Xeons are ok, but not something I now feel was worth the extra money.
I'm glad that I went for the bigger alloy (18"), as I think anything smaller can look a bit lost on a bigger car.

One thing I would of liked is the Polestar engine option.
My intentions were to have it added later on , but even though I was told at the time of buying the car it can be done, I later found out that it cant be done on the T3 engine, which was disappointing .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts