Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 14 plate V40 for 3 and a half year now and started getting the coolant warning light coming on a few times in the last week or so. Checked various times and always ok. Happened again on Monday but this time had loads of pressure at header tank. Booked it into my local Volvo dealer who thought it was a faulty thermostat but now think it's the head gasket or a cracked cylinder? I think he said cylinder. Only done 40000 miles. Anybody else had bother? D2 SE LUX NAV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have had my 14 plate V40 for 3 and a half year now and started getting the coolant warning light coming on a few times in the last week or so. Checked various times and always ok. Happened again on Monday but this time had loads of pressure at header tank. Booked it into my local Volvo dealer who thought it was a faulty thermostat but now think it's the head gasket or a cracked cylinder? I think he said cylinder. Only done 40000 miles. Anybody else had bother? D2 SE LUX NAV.

I had this a few months back in a hilly area ('13 D2 CC 40k). Pulled over for a while and topped up coolant, it hasn't come on since. I have noticed the coolant levels drop a couple of times, but again topped up. This seems to stay where it is for a month or so at a time. Was keen to get it sorted regardless, so took it to the main dealer last week, and had water pump replaced under Selekt warranty. They offered to do the cambelt(early) while they are there (c.£130) No labour as it's got to come off anyway. I hear it was a reasonably common complaint from that era of D2 engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
sorry to say not an unknown problem water pump or head gasket seem to be the main cause but I'm afraid some have reported cracked heads or cylinder block, hope its only the lessor problem for you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the same issue last year. I got a low coolant message but temperature was not increased. I went by the volvo dealer, where they tested the cooling system by pressurizing it. They didn't manage to find any leaks. They topped it back to MAX and has stayed that way over the past 12 months (and 17,000 kms). Given that this is a closed system I cannot understand where the losses come from, but since the problem did not repeat, I don't mind.

Your case seems different though. A cylinder or head crack is a significant issue. Was it covered by warranty? Did they replace the block or?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's the report from our 2013 D2.

"Cooling System (I) - 2
Excessive pressure in cooling system indicating cylinder head gasket has gone.
GBP1,088.04

Additional Maintenance (I) - 2
Removed head to replace head gasket and found a small crack in cylinder 3's bore and the liner on cylinder 2 and 3 have shifted. Need a replacement engine.
GBP7,245.78"

Only now the car is out of warranty is has become apparent where the coolant was being lost! If your car is under warranty I would strongly advise you insist the dealer remove the head and inspect the bores if you have had "coolant level low". Any perforations or crack will most cause coolant to be lost internally in the combustion chambers and leave you with a huge bill if you are out of warranty.

Stephen

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thats not good........ Quite bad even.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Additional Maintenance (I) - 2
Removed head to replace head gasket and found a small crack in cylinder 3's bore and the liner on cylinder 2 and 3 have shifted. Need a replacement engine.
GBP7,245.78"
I hope you've contacted Volvo Head Office and asked them what their thoughts are on a car with only 40,000 miles needing an engine replacement, especially if you have a full service history.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope you've contacted Volvo Head Office and asked them what their thoughts are on a car with only 40,000 miles needing an engine replacement, especially if you have a full service history.
Indeed! The car is approaching 75K. Here's the initial contact with Volvo UK after the local dealership.

Sent: 01 December 2017 09:51
To: Customer Relations, VCUK (.) <[email protected]>
Subject: Ref XXXX XXX -

Dear Connie,
Further to our telephone conversation just now regarding the letter I sent on the 16/11/2017 to the following address

The Managing Director.
Scandinavia House,
Norreys Drive,
Maidenhead,
Berkshire.
SL6 4FL

You have stated you have received no such letter which I find difficult to understand.

As I stated, the letter was send "first class signed for" and I have the Post Office receipt. I have just looked up the reference to track and trace the letter.

As you can see it was received and signed for by yourselves on the 20th at 10:42am

Here’s the link https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/tracking-results/GK808200486GB

So, once again, here’s the letter.

"
Mr. S. Bond
XX XXXX XXXX
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Bedfordshire
XXX XXX

16th November 2017

Dear Sir,

I write to you concerning our Volvo V40 reg. XXXX XXX

Back in June 2014 we decided to purchase a new car. Our son is disabled and was born with a rare condition and is under Great Ormond Street Hospital. Sometimes we need to drive to the hospital to collect our son after surgery rather than use public transport or indeed take him there in an emergency.
We chose Volvo on the reputation of safety, reliability and quality. We were more than happy to become the proud owners of a new Volvo V40.

After having owned the car for some time we started to have a problem with the car door locks on occasion. The doors would neither open from the inside or out using either the handles or the key fob. This caused obviously much difficulty and was a safety concern should one need to exit the vehicle in an emergency. On looking online, on the Volvo V40 Owner’s Club forum it was clear we were not alone with our woes and multiple other owners of V40s had the same issue. I am happy to say that even though the car had passed the three year warranty, Volvo Milton Keynes changed the locks without charge.

Similarly, there has been an issue with the cooling system. My wife would report an intermittent “coolant level low” had shown on the dashboard. I dutifully checked the coolant level which showed just below minimum and topped up. I indeed saw the message on occasion myself but on inspection the coolant level seemed normal. Additionally, my wife reported that the car was making a noise on returning home and when I looked the electric fan would be running for some time after the engine was switched off. This seemed unusual in the middle of winter after a run i.e. not mild summer after being stuck in traffic. Also, we had “high engine temperature” message. When I checked the header tank the coolant had gone up to the top of the tank and there was an air bubble inside. Also there was a constant pressure in the vessel, even with the engine stone cold. I mentioned this at the 50, 000 mile service which was due. The car was serviced and nothing untoward reported.

However, the intermittent dashboard messages and fan running on parking did not go away. I had the car into the local garage for it’s second MOT in July 2017 so I mentioned the problem to them. They could find no external leak but obviously being an issue I asked them to do something so progress could be made. They dutifully changed the water pump and we were motoring again for sometime without issue. Unfortunately, months later the symptoms continued.

So most recently, with the 75, 000 mile service soon due I got the car into Volvo MK, mentioning the ongoing situation once again. It was subsequently diagnosed a head gasket failure. However, on taking the head off it was found that the block has failed and we were told that this was the root of the issue i.e. that the failure of the block had caused the subsequent head gasket failure.

With hindsight, clearly the coolant was being lost internally into the combustion chambers for an extended time causing the issue. Once again, this issue has been ongoing since the car was well under warranty. Considering the situation Volvo Milton Keynes have secured a discount which I understand comes from themselves and Volvo UK but this considered the cost of remedial work still totals almost £5500.

Now obviously this is catastrophic and in my 30 years of motoring experience unheard of. I have owned several old cars which have had up to 150,000 miles on the clock and never retired a car with such a catastrophic engine failure. For a four year old Volvo this seems wholly incomprehensible. On looking on the web once again, it is clear we are not alone with the coolant issues/overheating messages and subsequent engine failures.

In short, it is clear there has been an issue with the block been undiagnosed for some time due to the need to remove the head to inspect. This has been ongoing since the car was in warranty and at no fault of our own. We do not use the car for anything out of the ordinary or even towing. In fact we prefer to drive moderately for economy’s sake.

We are currently without a car and with the added needs of a disabled child this is making life incredibly stressful for us. We consider that Volvo should remedy the fault without charge as only seems right. We look forward to hearing from you regarding this matter.

Yours faithfully,

Stephen Bond”

May I ask that you consider the matter seriously and reply henceforth as we have been left in a difficult situation as the letter describes.

Yours faithfully,

Stephen Bond

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's their response from yesterday morning.

"Dear Mr Bond,

Thank you for sending a copy of your letter and apologies the original letter did not reach our team.

We take on board all your feedback and apologise for any inconvenience caused whilst you have not had your car. Like yourselves, Volvo do not expect such parts to fail at this age or mileage but accept they can and do, both on older models and brand new cars. It is for this reason we offer the manufacturer’s warranty of 3 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes sooner) where we are confident any manufacturing or material defects will manifest themselves.

We accept you have reported concerns whilst the car was under warranty and also trust every dealer in the network is qualified to correctly diagnose and rectify any faults found at the time. Volvo UK cannot comment if the reported fault and repairs now needed are related to any issues raised when the car was younger and you would need to talk to the dealers directly about this.

We trust however, that the garage would have informed you and Volvo UK of any potential issues at any given opportunity. There is nothing to be gained by the dealer once the car is out of warranty so we trust they have followed the Volvo diagnostics processes as we would expect.

The dealer network are also empowered to review and offer goodwill on behalf of Volvo UK, often with having to contact us. We use various factors to measure this such as age, mileage and loyalty to the dealer network for servicing. In this case, the dealers and Volvo UK have offered to contribute a total of 40% towards parts and labour, leaving you with 60% of the bill to pay.

We feel this is a fair offer and cannot facilitate you request to cover the cost of repairs in full. We have however, reviewed the case internally and you will be pleased to know that we can increase this offer by 10%.

As we work with different rates to our dealers, we would urge you to contact them directly for a revised cost.

Thank you once again for contacting our offices, I trust we have clarified our position and assisted with your query.

Kind Regards

Connie Wheeler

VOLVO CAR UK LIMITED"

·
Registered
27 Posts
And my retort.

"Dear Connie,
Thank you for your response.

Whilst we are pleased to hear things are moving in the right direction, we are still not happy with the situation i.e. we are presented with a bill for thousands for a new engine for a 4.5 year old Volvo.

With regards to the warranty, the fault was manifesting itself. However, the small internal coolant leak and subsequent “coolant level low” message could not be fully diagnosed until the head was removed and the bores inspected which only occurred when the car was out of warranty.

With the case of the door lock issue, this began manifesting within warranty but was not sorted until the car was out of warranty. I am glad to say that in our case Volvo rectified this fault without charge, whilst out of warranty, only fair considering to the proliferation and seriousness of this fault.

With regards to the engine we are in a similar situation. The symptoms were reported to the dealer back when the car was in warranty. However, the reason for the fault is only now fully known.

It is clear we are not alone with this issue

http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/...921-engine-coolant-level-low-stop-safely.html

"Yes this happened on my v40 D3. After a lot of hassle and 12 weeks in the garage, it turned out to be a leak in the exhaust gas coolant coil where it goes to the egr valve. Got a brand new engine out of it though as they found a split in one of the bores."

http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/15-engine-technical/11954-coolant-level-low.html

http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/15-engine-technical/27001-low-coolant-level.html

http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/15-engine-technical/23785-check-coolant-level.html

http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/7-volvo-v40-general-discussion/31809-low-coolant-warning.html

I have refrained from commenting online since our engine block failure was fully diagnosed. However, if Volvo are unsympathetic then we shall make our situation plain. Also, there are many avenues to explore with this regard, media, social media, online forums and reviews. I do not wish to be a disgruntled customer but it is clear the engine supplied was not fit for purpose and Volvo should replace it.

At this point I want to mention that the omission of a temperature gauge on the dashboard was more that a faux pas with regards to the design of this car, indeed another design fault. I have driven many different brands and models of cars in my 30 years of motoring, some older than myself and I have never seen one which didn’t show the temperature. If the temperature was indeed on show then the overheating issue would have certainly been diagnosed earlier as it started climbing rather than later at the point where it was likely catastrophic.

I want to state again, we bought the car for it’s resounding safety and reliability record and it has failed abysmally on both accounts. Our son has a rare condition, as I mentioned before he is under Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children. During all the time that the car has been in for repair and we have had to wait for a response from you we have struggled with appointments and daily logistics for our son. This has caused more stress and strain on our family which is ironic as the purpose of purchasing a reliable car was to help reduce these stresses not compound them.

So I ask again you to reconsider your position and replace the faulty engine as seems fair and right.

Yours faithfully,

Stephen Bond"

·
Registered
27 Posts
I received this reply this morning, hence I am posting on here regarding the matter.

"Dear Mr Bond,

Thank you for your response,

I must advise that our position still remains,

The manufacturer’s warranty of 3 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes sooner) is there to cover the cost of any manufacturing defects within this period. After this period any financial contributions towards repairs are considered goodwill.

As mentioned goodwill has been reviewed for your case and we feel that the 40% contribution towards this is fair.

We will of course note your feedback on this matter in your case here in Customer Relations.

Kind Regards

Connie Wheeler

VOLVO CAR UK LIMITED"

·
Registered
772 Posts
so sorry to read this as it seems to be another hidden fault and takes a long time to be diagnosed by computers alone, this is were the present dealer system of if there is no fault code then nothing is wrong, you have done all you could to flag up this problem as we did with our first v40 different type of problem and received the same we know better attitude, thankfully our lease car was less than a year old with just 4000 mls on the clock and thanks to the intervention of our lease company the car was returned as unfit for purpose sadly for you this is not possible.
hopefully Volvo will come back with a revised offer but that sort of depends on the dealer having logged all of the times it was returned and the fact that there is a similar fault and line of fault finding leading up to the engine failing centred on a number of other owners, just wonder if this relates to a batch of engines but I cant see Volvo saying yes to that one as looking on the net this fault goes back a long way, hope you get something sorted soon.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
so sorry to read this as it seems to be another hidden fault and takes a long time to be diagnosed by computers alone, this is were the present dealer system of if there is no fault code then nothing is wrong,
I'm not so sure. Even without any diagnostics, a competent mechanic should be able to identify loss of coolant and the cooling system being pressurised as primary symptoms of head gasket failure. It does strike me as them ignoring the problem so they don''t have to go through the hassle of doing warranty work (that Volvo pays them less for per hour than they can charge paying customers) so they can then charge full price once the warranty has expired.

Other examples of this attitude from dealer workshop staff have been the cases of sticking clutch pedal/clutch slave cylinder failure where they have danced round the houses greasing shafts replacing pedal boxes and springs rather than fixing the well-known real cause because of the amount of work and time it takes which ends up losing them money as warranty work compared what they can charge a customer per hour for the same job.

<dons tinfoil hat>
Even more cynically, I've often wondered if the dealerships get black marks from Volvo UK when they make expensive warranty claims, which would be another incentive to try and put it off until the warranty expires (for example, in this case, they have potentially saved Volvo UK 60% of the cost of replacing an engine).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everybody,

I had the same problem twice. At first, the engine of the car was replaced with new one at around 34.000km. At the second year of my car, I had the message on the dashboard saying that “coolant level low”. When I immediately checked the coolant level, which show me it was just below minimum. After that, I took the car to service and they just added water. This visit was not registered in the service. One year later after I took the warning for coolant level, I had the same message. At that time, the technical people in the service told me it was probably related to cylinder block and the engine needed to be replaced. Luckily, there was 3 months left to be out of warranty. I escaped huge cost and proceeded with the replacement of the engine.

Unfortunately, I had the same warning “cooling level low” one week ago at around 59.000km and visited the service 30.04.2018. Service did not find anything related to external factor and told me that they needed to remove the cylinder head on the condition that I had to accept 50% of the cost which would occur during the repair including replacement or repair of the engine. Because the warranty expired. The funny part is that Turkey Branch Volvo Turkiye presented the cost share as courtesy. This was the most disrespectful and unfair act I have ever seen and I did not buy it. Therefore, I stopped the remedial actions and took my car back.

From my point of view, it is obvious that Volvo did not conduct proper RCA at the first issue and did not provide permanent solution to the customer. For that reason, I had the same defect in a period of two years, has been a further vast disappointment for me. Furthermore, according to what I read in the forums around the world, this is a well-known problem for V40 engine T4 and D2. I think that is why engine T4 was removed from production.Additionally, this is certainly a chronic or hidden defect due to manufacturing or design. Otherwise, I would not have the same issue second time.

Whenever I want to sell the car, the buyer will check the history of the car and notice that there was engine replacement once in a two year. The buyers in the market will pay anything near what my car is actually worth. My car will be treated by the buyers as junk. Additionally, I am very curious about how they will assure that problem will not repeat third, fourth time in the future.

Anyway, I instruct my attorney to sue Volvo Turkey. I have to trust Justice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the post.

Additionally, this is certainly a chronic or hidden defect due to manufacturing or design. Otherwise, I would not have the same issue second time.
Yes, I agree. It seems that these blocks are of a poor design/manufacture.

Anyway, I instruct my attorney to sue Volvo Turkey. I have to trust Justice.
I'm in a similar situation here in the UK. I am awaiting the ombudsman who I had to start the case with against the dealer as it turned out I cannot claim against Volvo UK as the car is out of warranty.

Hope you get it sorted!

All the best,
Stephen

·
Registered
6 Posts
All the best,
Stephen[/quote]

Thanks Stephen. I hope you get it sorted,too and good luck with the ombudsman.

All the best,
Aziz

·
Registered
70 Posts
The issue is global. From what i read - here - in Greek Volvo forum, the PEUGEOT/FORD 1.6 diesel engines who were manufactured a specific period of 2014 appeared with the low coolant level issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Volvo’s dealer called me yesterday and offered to proceed with remedial actions free of charge on the condition that I will sign a waiver of notice. So that they will escape from the court. If they provide an extended warranty, I will probably take it. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts