Volvo V40 Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all!

Pretty ominous reading here!!

Sounds like I'm in a similar position to most here. My car is literally just out of warrenty and I'm getting low engine coolant warnings...

Ive got it booked into the main dealer next week to try and diagnose the problem. After reading this thread, I feel like I've already diagnosed it myself...

I've grown up with volvos all my life and not one has had this problem. Very very disappointing. I dare not think how many thousands of pounds I'm about to lose here!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello all!

Pretty ominous reading here!!

Sounds like I'm in a similar position to most here. My car is literally just out of warrenty and I'm getting low engine coolant warnings...

Ive got it booked into the main dealer next week to try and diagnose the problem. After reading this thread, I feel like I've already diagnosed it myself...

I've grown up with volvos all my life and not one has had this problem. Very very disappointing. I dare not think how many thousands of pounds I'm about to lose here!!!
You mention that you just out of warranty period. So your engine is VEA and not FORD/PSA (petrol or diesel). Until now there is no issue recorded for these engines regarding cracked blocks or damaged gaskets. Form the other hand is not good sign any lost of coolant... Also i have arranged to visit the VOLVO service to check my car next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You mention that you just out of warranty period. So your engine is VEA and not FORD/PSA (petrol or diesel). Until now there is no issue recorded for these engines regarding cracked blocks or damaged gaskets. Form the other hand is not good sign any lost of coolant... Also i have arranged to visit the VOLVO service to check my car next week.
Ops, I probably should have provided a bit more information! I have a 15 plate r design D2 with 50,000 miles - I'm not sure what engine is in the car, but I suspect it's probably the Ford / PSA? When I bought the car, it came with the Volvo SELEKT 1 year warranty that expired in March and I've since had these problems in April.

The problem was diagnosed as a head gasket issue which has now been repaired. Because of the circumstances, Volvo provided a good will contribution of 40% towards the total bill, but even after this, I was faced with a £1,200 repair bill.

For a "SELEKT" vehicle, I'm very disappointed and would seriously struggle to consider buying another Volvo in the future!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, new to the forum here but with an apparently old issue with the V40 D2 1.6 by PSA.

It started as a simple warning at 65’000km about low coolant level and later evolved into pressure being built up into the cooling system, causing the fluid level to decrease significantly. After a few trips to my Volvo dealer here in Switzerland (which initially claimed it’s normal) they agreed to investigate it further and found a leakage in the head gasket. Later on, while actually replacing it, they found out the engine block was also cracked and I ended up getting the whole engine replaced. Luckily it was all covered under warranty (5y) and I have received very efficient service from the dealer.

My question remains: how can we trust an engine which fails after so few Kms? I’ve never heard of a head gasket being replaced in a practically new car (mine is 2015) before this.

Is anyone aware whether Volvo/PSA have fixed the problem in their later versions of the same engine? We may have got a gasket or engine replaced, but by the laws of engineering we can expect the same failure to occur again in the next 60-70’000 km.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi All, new to the forum here but with an apparently old issue with the V40 D2 1.6 by PSA.

It started as a simple warning at 65’000km about low coolant level and later evolved into pressure being built up into the cooling system, causing the fluid level to decrease significantly. After a few trips to my Volvo dealer here in Switzerland (which initially claimed it’s normal) they agreed to investigate it further and found a leakage in the head gasket. Later on, while actually replacing it, they found out the engine block was also cracked and I ended up getting the whole engine replaced. Luckily it was all covered under warranty (5y) and I have received very efficient service from the dealer.

My question remains: how can we trust an engine which fails after so few Kms? I’ve never heard of a head gasket being replaced in a practically new car (mine is 2015) before this.

Is anyone aware whether Volvo/PSA have fixed the problem in their later versions of the same engine? We may have got a gasket or engine replaced, but by the laws of engineering we can expect the same failure to occur again in the next 60-70’000 km.
Nobody actually cares what engine manufacturer is under the hood. We bought VOLVO and they are responsible for quality. After so many failures in so few km-miles , i would accept that VOLVO at least would cover the total cost either head gasket or engine replacement....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2015 D2 1.6 (Ford PSA engine) with 75000 on the clock. It had a faulty thermostat which resulted in the head gasket going. The cost to fix nearly £2000 once they also replace waterpump and might as well have done the timing belt. My intention was to keep the car after the 4 years PCP which was nearly up as it never had any problems until now plus it was economical.

The car was out of warranty but the dealership was excellent and took the car off me and got a low mileage selekt 67 plate D2 with the Volvo VEA 2l engine with all the extras. They added in the 2 services (which is probably standard anyway on a selekt, a years tax and full tank of fuel. Will get the extended warranty as well once it runs out. Fingers crossed there are no issues with this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That‘s good to hear sfbell2! Do you mind if I ask if that was an offer from Volvo or you had to push for it?

Has anyone contacted Volvo directly for a statement? I honestly would like to keep this car for a few more years but I‘m afraid the issue will pop up again and this time out of warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That‘s good to hear sfbell2! Do you mind if I ask if that was an offer from Volvo or you had to push for it?

Has anyone contacted Volvo directly for a statement? I honestly would like to keep this car for a few more years but I‘m afraid the issue will pop up again and this time out of warranty.
Dear my friend,

I am sorry for bad news that but you will probably have the same problem again. You probably read my case in page 1. I took deal offered by Volvo and the engine was replaced free of charge for the second time.

Unfortunately, the third one is on the way. I had a warning saying that oil level was low two days ago at 74.000km. It is the same as my previous issue. It started with the "low oil.After a couple of months, I had the warning for coolant.

As soon as I checked the level of oil, I noticed that the level was normal but the viscosity is very high. Also there was a decrease in the level of coolant when comparing to the level one month ago. I think there is a water in the oil due to the leakage. I will probably have warning for coolant in the forthcoming days.

The most important point for me to learn about permanent solution. Otherwise, I have to pay once in a year to have my car repaired. It is obvious that it is not a solution to replace the engine. By the way, I read that installing a new exhaust manifold gasket was a solution. But, this is not the solution. A new one was installed prior to my second issue.Nevertheless, the same problem occured twice after the installation.

As a result, I do not believe that Volvo take a responsibility free of charge and will ask me to pay huge cost especially after the document which I signed. Accordingly, I will go to a service except Volvo and I will have my car repaired. I kindly ask you to share your solutions if there is one applied to your car.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Aziz

·
Registered
437 Posts
In the new VEA engines, not only can you not check the engine temperature, you can't even check the oil level manually with a dip stick, it relies on the computer to check oil level.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Arges79
Dear my friend,

I am sorry for bad news that but you will probably have the same problem again. You probably read my case in page 1. I took deal offered by Volvo and the engine was replaced free of charge for the second time.

Unfortunately, the third one is on the way. I had a warning saying that oil level was low two days ago at 74.000km. It is the same as my previous issue. It started with the "low oil.After a couple of months, I had the warning for coolant.

As soon as I checked the level of oil, I noticed that the level was normal but the viscosity is very high. Also there was a decrease in the level of coolant when comparing to the level one month ago. I think there is a water in the oil due to the leakage. I will probably have warning for coolant in the forthcoming days.

The most important point for me to learn about permanent solution. Otherwise, I have to pay once in a year to have my car repaired. It is obvious that it is not a solution to replace the engine. By the way, I read that installing a new exhaust manifold gasket was a solution. But, this is not the solution. A new one was installed prior to my second issue.Nevertheless, the same problem occured twice after the installation.

As a result, I do not believe that Volvo take a responsibility free of charge and will ask me to pay huge cost especially after the document which I signed. Accordingly, I will go to a service except Volvo and I will have my car repaired. I kindly ask you to share your solutions if there is one applied to your car.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Aziz
please could you check dm,

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it doesn't go out, either the coolant level is too low or there is a problem with the sensor system. ` The light usually shows either a thermometer or a box, often with wavy lines to indicate liquid. ... The consequences of a low coolant level can include overheating and the destruction of your engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i had the dreaded low coolant happen on a family holiday 400 miles from home, turns out it had popped the metal water pipe under the turbo, it was a pig to do from what i recall, Volvo reluctantly picked up the bill, they dont cover coolant hoses, but my dealer was able to argue a stainless steel pipe isnt really a hose, hats off they sorted it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, well, well... same same same here. V40 D2R. 2016. 60k.

I'm so glad i just found this thread!

Sorry this is long but there's a lot to SAY!

Heres my current position as of today.....

"Warped engine block and head" - Cost just short of £10,000 - "Nothing to do with the head gasket that we just replaced!" - "It's just a coincidence."

I'm at this point 10 months after the official Volvo recall No:R29945. 8.11.2019.
Which was officially "Volvo identified that, in VERY RARE cases, the engines plastic inlet manifold may melt and deform. In a worse case scenario this may cause........ engine bay fire." But explained by a senior technician from Volvo Stoneacre would actually "Change the temperature to the EGR, which caused manifold heat issues."

Straight after this recall i had low coolant warnings. Within a week. Thats January 2020.

I took the car back to the dealer where the recall had been "Completed" the head gasket was deemed to of failed.... You've read all this stuff on other posts already so i'll skip it....

I then receive official Volvo recall notice R10027. 30.9.20.

I quote "Vehicles may have air trapped in the cooling system which may result in INSUFFICIENT ENGINE COOLING. If this occurs, it may result in DAMAGED ENGINE components, and in some very rare conditions, may cause a fire in the engine bay. Volvo takes this situation very seriously" Blah... Blah...Blah.

In my opinion there is a clear linear track of errors by both Volvo and their partner garages in identifying this issue..

I too was offered varying amount of offers to contribute to the repairs. The head gasket was a 60% contribution. I accepted as all i wanted was my awesome reliable and safe Volvo back.

The warped engine block and head i was also offered a 60% contribution, ONLY after refusing at first a 10% offer, then rising to a 30% offer... It changed when i had to admit that " I can't afford £3,500 for a car to be fixed my only option it Ombudsmen or court!" Then arrived the magical 60% that some of you seem to also of reached

I refused the 60% offer as i've now got a moral bee in my bonnet. (Plus as mentioned i can't afford it.)

Now i may be an idiot for doing so having read some comments in this thread. Get the 60% and resell the "repaired" vehicle to some other sucker who thinks Volvo have some moral standards.

Heres where i stand.

1. Ombudsman.
2. Trying to recoup costs for the head gasket repaired through my simple consumer rights.
3. Court.

Atb.

·
Registered
123 Posts
After 3 flywheels, brakes that eat themselves in 5k, the worst corrosion on alloy wheels ive ever seen, and the constant stream of unhappy owners here I dont think ill have another focus. I mean V40, sorry, got confused...
Dont know if its picked up on my browsing history, but theres a TOYOTA advert at the side of the screen😂

·
Registered
2 Posts
Volvo chose a very technological way to solve the problem of having a 2ltr Diesel engine perform with emission ratings under the magical 100g mark.

In hindsight it has not worked. And they know it. But will not accept it.

The EGR on the 2ltr diesel engine doesn't perform as designed. So they have attempted various efforts to make it work.

Attempts to make it work have resulted in an engine that runs at higher temperatures than its designed for.

The first recall - A software issue... The only one that doesn't mention heat. Was that allow the car to ignore engine heating over a previous set tolerance?! See if it just goes away? I don't know....

But after this recall all other Recalls are as stated by Volvo UK in their letters related to an engine creating more heat than it's designed to cope with. "Melting Manifold" - "Trapped air resulting overheating and causing damage to engine..."

This is happening on all 2ltr diesels of the same design.

Its world wide.

And we are having to pay for it!

I think if anyone out there is discussed with this i'd like to do something about it.

Please DM me with your thoughts.

Sincerely,

ATB.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts