Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've just searched another social media group for someone who has got a dealer quote and it was £168 fitted (for a 2012 V40 D2). Personally I used tayna.co.uk and fit them myself. You can get info on resetting the BMS on youtube if you want to reset it. I haven't bothered and haven't had issues after a brief moment of windscreen wipers running and collision management saying it needed calibrating (which it either did itself or changed its mind).

·
Registered
728 Posts
Got mine via ebay, main battery seller, got a decent make exchanged start stop battery and fitted myself in 15 minutes.

BMS will normally reset, but if not, it's a simple sequence of buttons.

Cost about £80

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's a bit of a pain to change main battery as you need to remove the filter box first. BMS reset in my case just by disconnecting the battery and leaving the car powerless for some minutes. You can check if the BMS has reset with an OBD2 and phone app

·
Registered
882 Posts
I looked into having mine changed a few months ago after getting the "low battery charge" alert, but when it was checked we found that it was due to the very low mileage that I do, so I bought a smart charger and just pop it on charge now every couple of months, its be fine since.
If I wanted to change the battery at my local Volvo dealership I was quoted £126 including fitting for like for like battery, which on my V40 is the EFB type.

Can Halfords reset the BSM on a Volvo ?

My son had a nightmare with Halfords a last year when they did a service on his BMW and wiped out all the previous servicing data .
Apparently on a BMW data is stored on the key and any servicing ect has to be done with BMW software.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
502 Posts
Can Halfords reset the BSM on a Volvo ?

My son had a nightmare with Halfords a last year when they did a service on his BMW and wiped out all the previous servicing data .
Apparently on a BMW data is stored on the key and any servicing ect has to be done with BMW software.
The BMW key seems over engineered! just take the key to service and they can see whats going on with the car. As far as Halfords goes, even with the right kit I wouldn't let them empty my lawnmowers grassbox😂

·
Registered
321 Posts
The BMW key seems over engineered! just take the key to service and they can see whats going on with the car. As far as Halfords goes, even with the right kit I wouldn't let them empty my lawnmowers grassbox😂
The BMW key stores fault codes, identity of the car, mileage when the key was last used etc. It doesn't store the service history. When a BMW dealer puts the key against their reader, they can bring up the service history from the BMW computer system, or they can find it by manually entering the details, so not the end of the world, but they perhaps just wiped the information from the key.

Servicing doesn't HAVE to be done with BMW software. There are aftermarket diagnostic systems that have the same functionality.

My Volvo dealer tried that one on me. I can't service the car myself because only they have the equipment necessary to read and reset the oil level, reset the service reminder, etc. etc. He wasn't happy when I told him I've got diagnostic equipment that can do all that on Volvos and plenty of other makes too. Even my phone can read the oil level through the Torque app!

How can you tell when a service manager is lying?

When he opens his mouth ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts