1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
227 Posts
i have a unit i used on my renault it allows you to clear errors and run logs when you map your car it works well but need a new one for the volvo so

·
Registered
945 Posts
Nothing new just now on your smart phone rather than a specific handset.

Please do not think this is anything like what a dealer would use, their kit costs £100,000's and is very advanced.

I had a transit van on fleet that had a re-acurring engine management fault light, checking with a reader from snap-on costing several grand, it could not find it, a few minutes on the ford system and the fault was diagnosed to a broken light inside the load area of te van shorting. No one without that kit would have identified that as the cause of the fault!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also just think it is a money wasting gimmick

·
Registered
227 Posts
cost of unit

well sorry to burst your bubble cost of unit at dealer 62000 rand so in your real money at todays exchange rate 3200 pounds

total items that can be checked with dealer unit on my car 343
but software can be upgraded NB !!!

total items that can be checked on plug in toy as you call it 278.
no software can be loaded . 23 extra items can be checked using a mult meter

cost 3750 rand = 207 pounds

and for people like me that like to play its cheaper then a stupid i phone ..and i get to see what my car is doing while i drive it..

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't know where you got your 'facts' from but it is rubbish FACT!!!!

A generic snap on unit costs nearly the figure you are quoting, if they were that cheap every independent garage would have them

·
Registered
227 Posts
cost

I don't know where you got your 'facts' from but it is rubbish FACT!!!!

believe what you want but please read below and see where im coming from

The unit they use is not a fancy unit but what you want to make it .The unit is made only to be used on one manufactures cars so with volvo ,jag, landrover . if you add a exhaust gas analizer ,cam bus interigator ,hardware update unit and yes the price rises .
i was only talking about the difference between there so called factory programing unit and a off the shelf reading unit .

I can also say i agree with you the local garages that so say fix any car will pay a fortune for a unit why because they want to read vag, siemens , bosch , agp, . you can pay 500 pounds just for a bosch ecu programing unit cable there are several cable types at the moment i know i have 3 of them at home .but i didn,t pay 500 pounds each

i used to work for a company that repaired ecu,s trust me they make it almost impossible for a honest car repair shop to fix cars.

Then you have to read airbag controllers ,entertainment units ,security modules etc .

i am not saying at all that the cost of the units is not expensive but to take just the unit that is used to read the info or get the data is not expensive at all.

Now if you add battery backup min 8 hours ,internet ,printers,data loggers,security ,and a fancy unit that holds all that together so the average customer looks at it and it looks like it comes from space.

Then the units must look the same at all service depts so as to make training easy .

That is what costs the money.now go ask your dealer what he insures the units for i bet he wont tell you but it wont be 100000 pounds.

hope i have made it clear on what i was trying to compare

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.