Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m going to look at a 16 plate t3 r design 51,000 miles on Saturday.but after checking mpg people are getting im starting to worry a bit.its a manual I’m retired 67 and was surprised they do nowhere near the mpg Volvo claim.im a steady driver because I’m one of the poor old pensioners.i will only be rich after I’m dead and the kids can sell the house. Anyone got this model and can reassure me please

·
Registered
62 Posts
a family member has the t3 engine, dont think its an R design, manual box, he says its good for 500-550 miles on a tank, for the size of car it doesnt do much in traffic...

·
Registered
14 Posts
a 16 might be the Ford Ecoboost engine.
If you kick th epedal seriously its going to 26 mpg

Volvo will probably say 36 mpg?
think 31 wil be more realistic.

i have a T4, same engine, city it varies between those nrs, T3 does better than a T4 for your usage

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a T3, in London city with medium traffic, I can get around 30mpg, if the traffic gets lighter, around 35mpg. Travelling on 40-50mph A roads for at least 5-6 miles, I can get around the 50mpg or slightly more mark, on motorway speeds around 70mph, you should be able to get almost 50mpg on run.
From Bicester Village to East London (A41 to A406 to A12) I got 50mpg at the speed limits, and once I went from Stansted to my place on the side of the A12 in east London, and got 52mpg! My highest ever was 55.8mpg on 40-50mph roads for miles, lowest was around 15mpg on heavy start stop London rush hour traffic. I guess to get high mpgs, you should change gear around or just above the 2k rpm mark.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine is a 2018 T3 manual and it averages about 40mpg on my usage. The MPG range is 30-50 depending on driving conditions.

It's not as economical as some other cars with similar performance (such as the 1.4 or 1.5 VW engine) but it's OK.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ah OK. I actually had the 1.4 and would regularly get 50 mpg out of it. Maybe the newer 1.5 is worse then.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Agree that Volvo's Drive E petrols are not as economical than VAGs equivalents! Friend had the old 1.4 ACT TSI Petrol 150PS VAG motor, on a mix of motorway runs and 40-50mph speed limits, it would do about 65+ mpg predominantely runing only on 2 cylinders....I hear the 1.5 Evos are not as good, feels less powerful/responsive (maybe due to stricter emissions) and worse economy than the predecessors!. That's similar to what V40 D3/D4s would get!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thought the 1.4 TFSI engine was excellent. Went really well - better than the Volvo 2.0 T3 in my opinion. I'd expect the larger Volvo engine to be more reliable though (hope that's not wishful thinking).

·
Registered
416 Posts
So this is what I got today after driving about 20 mins, some city driving, but majority traffic free 40-50mph roads. I guess this is the MAX one can get with the T3 when taking it gentle...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts