Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Some of you knows if there is some mechanical difference between the T2 122hp and T3 150hp VEA engines 2.0L (If the turbo are different or some difference in cooling system, ecc)?
I can't find anything online with this details for the 2 engine.
I just want to understood if the power increase on T3 is only due to a engine SW or if there is some mechanical upgrade also.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
T2, T3 and T4 are identical mechanically. The internet said so, and my adventures with part catalogs say the same thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T2, T3 and T4 are identical mechanically. The internet said so, and my adventures with part catalogs say the same thing.
Thanks for your rapid feedback.
So exactly the same "hardwares" are able to produce different powers only with dedicated engine SW? The cooling system it's also the same?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My bad, missed the engine codes. Not sure about the differences, those were the new 2019 variants. I'll check if I can find any differences later today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I scrolled through parts catalogs for B4204T17 and B4204T33. Only difference was the part number for the whole engine(I guess that's because the sticker on top is different...).
Engine, engine electronics, intake, exhaust, turbo and cooling are identical. Even the ECU has a same part number, but that doesn't surprise, as it's always locally coded for each car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I scrolled through parts catalogs for B4204T17 and B4204T33. Only difference was the part number for the whole engine(I guess that's because the sticker on top is different...).
Engine, engine electronics, intake, exhaust, turbo and cooling are identical. Even the ECU has a same part number, but that doesn't surprise, as it's always locally coded for each car.
Thanks for your reply!!
So if even the ECU are the same it's mean both engine SW (T2 and T3) are activable via Proxy?
I think there are 2 Cal file in the engine ECU activated via Proxy in production line based on the engine type.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just to add a spanner in the works, the auto version of the VEA T2 and T3 at least in the UK, is using a 1.5 litre engine, whereas the manual it' a 2.0 engine. According to specs and stats, it's a destroked 2.0, power and torque figures are the same, though, but when the max torque kicks in are different with the 2.0 coming lower in rpms

·
Registered
231 Posts
That is not only in the UK, it's eeverywhere. The T2 and T3 with geartronic use the 1.5 engine. The T4 with geartronic uses the 2.0 engine. That was the main reason I've bought the T4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts