Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the roads of Hampshire have taken their toll on the v40, got in the car yesterday to find the rear view mirror glass sitting by the gear stick, I have never had such a thing happen before in all the cars we have had and certainly not one with just 16000mls on the clock, I could not work out how it had stayed up there, anyway some heavy type super glue and some packing tape secured it back for the time being and will remove tape later, its due in for an mot on Tuesday so perhaps the dealer will either say its fine or fit a new one. :smile2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it's Gorilla super glue then you shouldn't have a problem - amazing stuff

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it's Gorilla super glue then you shouldn't have a problem - amazing stuff

That's what I used, only trouble is getting the adhesive off the mirror later.
I made a big mistake and used rubbing alcohol which takes the silver off!

Got mine re-silvered at antiquedmirror.com who did a brilliant job.

On reflection I'd have left it off and bought whilst I got this stuff

Sanjotape Premium Acrylic Foam Tape 19mm X 5mt black art No 3121

which with 3 strips wide covers the back of the mirror totally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well the roads of Hampshire have taken their toll on the v40, got in the car yesterday to find the rear view mirror glass sitting by the gear stick, I have never had such a thing happen before in all the cars we have had and certainly not one with just 16000mls on the clock, I could not work out how it had stayed up there, anyway some heavy type super glue and some packing tape secured it back for the time being and will remove tape later, its due in for an mot on Tuesday so perhaps the dealer will either say its fine or fit a new one. :smile2:
I had the same thing yesterday morning. First real frost of the year and the mirror glass was on the passengers' seat.
I put the glass back on with clear (note clear) silicone sealant. 3 small blobs on the back of the mirror, which was then held in place by two soft jawed spring clamps for 12 hours. Masking tape may do.
Just as importantly, I ran a bead of sealant across the entire length of the join at the top, between the glass and the housing, just ran my finger over it to smooth it out. I'm betting that will sort it. If I'm wrong, I shall come back and say so, but it's strong stuff.

·
Registered
194 Posts
yes, thats the one... ive had several little bits of silver flaking off landing in front of the gear stick. My sometimes wonderful dealer noted the fault on a health check, saying it wasnt covered by warranty as it is wear and tear. I politely said id only ever adjusted it once, and on that they agreed to replace it. Still waiting...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts