Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. Just bought myself a 2015 v40 d4 r design a few days ago. Love the car but I have noticed when attempting to clear some scratches from the instrument cluster plastic cover, there appear to be dried watermarks behind the plastic. Has anyone experienced this and is it something I can ask the dealer I bought the car from to sort? Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow, I've never seen that in any car before. Not sure if that would indicate a fairly significant moisture issue in the past for water to get into the instrument cluster to a large enough degree to get condensation in there.

I'm not sure if you can replace the plastic covers from the cluster on their own - maybe someone here might be able to confirm. Certainly no harm trying to make it the dealer's problem though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hi, new to the forum. Just bought myself a 2015 v40 d4 r design a few days ago. Love the car but I have noticed when attempting to clear some scratches from the instrument cluster plastic cover, there appear to be dried watermarks behind the plastic. Has anyone experienced this and is it something I can ask the dealer I bought the car from to sort? Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

View attachment 17038
Someone has been in and cleaned that very badly.

I think I have googled a take apart. I would take it out and clean it correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. After looking at it again and some advice from others. It looks like it could be some sort of silicone spray that is tough to remove. So probably not on the inside just really hard to remove!! Any suggestions for removing silicone spray from plastic?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could probably try some industrial wipes that are used to clean bathroom silicon, just be sure to dry off quickly with tissue or you will have to start again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update** Seems it was some sort of silicone based cleaning spray. Managed to remove it with some plastic polish. Took about 35 mins of scrubbing with a microfibre cloth. Much cleaner now 😃!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts