Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi team 馃敟

So I fell in love with the V40 when deciding to get in the search of my new car, I've honestly been thinking to get a Focus mainly, but then I discovered and crashed on the V40.
I've decided to go on and get my first, It'll be a used one mostly with around 100k km.

I want to know which model you would consider if you were in my place, I'm searching for a reliable, not necessarily sporty or feroce one, preferably a diesel.
People are recommanding the d2 engine, but I can see several issues with it on this forum, It's honestly worrying me and making me have second thoughts, saying why the gamble ? After all a Focus is a secure choice.

Any model/ engine to advice please based on your experience ?
Thanks in advance

Registered
The older 5 cylinder diesel D3/D4 are pretty much bullet proof,seem to be a lot more reliable,or it's petrol if short journeys,I have 2013 D3 in 5 years ownership apart from regular servicing it's only needed a fan belt.

Registered
6 years now with D2, 200k km on the clock, only the valve cover gasket was changed due to a very slight leak. Nothing more apart from regular intervals.

Registered
I would steer clear of older D2 mainly from anecdotal stories on here, but I'm sure I also read on Which that the failure rate on the diesels was a lot higher than petrol v40s. The reliability reportedly improved in later v40s.

I'd also have liked more info about the reliability of various engines before buying fairly recently. Went for T3 VEA auto in the end. Hopefully it holds up well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Been helpful 馃槂
Think I'll go for a newer D2 model. I'll leave it to drive tests to make a final decision...

Registered
Older D2 1.6 is a bad engine, everything other than that should be fine. D2 lacks a lot of power if you have been in a D4. D3 is a nice in-between. I would look for the options on de volvo since it has a lot of version. Center console should tell a lot about the options.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Registered
Don't go for a diesel if you only drive short distances, and stay away from the old D2. (the 1.6, see other posts about coolant leaks)
Keep in mind that a D2 is always very slow, of course that depends on what you want and what you are used to.

Registered
Don't go for a diesel if you only drive short distances
Or, if you do (as we did), make sure you go for a nice long run down the motorway/autoroute/Autobahn regularly. It's a nice car to drive, so this is no bother at all. I rarely take ours to the office, but when I do, I always take it the long way home, via the Autobahn. Same with Saturday shopping. We have the 5-cylinder D3, and, as others have said, this is bulletproof. So, 7 years and 81,000Km later, we are still happy with it.

Registered
E="DutchV40D4, post: 310131, member: 54947"]
Older D2 1.6 is a bad engine, everything other than that should be fine. D2 lacks a lot of power

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk
Its not always about power. Even a D4 is NOT a fast car, its still just an oil burning V40, not a GT car...

Registered
E="DutchV40D4, post: 310131, member: 54947"]

Its not always about power. Even a D4 is NOT a fast car, its still just an oil burning V40, not a GT car...
besides the old 1.6 D2 is still a bad engine, what is considered a fast ROAD car than? D2 is just barely moving, a D4 is decent, and not consuming any ''oil''. my D4 is putting out about 230 hp and i cant say im quicker than a mk6 GTI in-between sprints, the torque does most of that. besides, the D2 is just a ''normal'' car looking at power, but i think it lacks a lot of it. power it not always nice just to pull, also at merging on a highway or overtaking. IMO the D3 and D4 are about good, the D2 stock is not

Registered
besides the old 1.6 D2 is still a bad engine, what is considered a fast ROAD car than? D2 is just barely moving, a D4 is decent, and not consuming any ''oil''. my D4 is putting out about 230 hp and i cant say im quicker than a mk6 GTI in-between sprints, the torque does most of that. besides, the D2 is just a ''normal'' car looking at power, but i think it lacks a lot of it. power it not always nice just to pull, also at merging on a highway or overtaking. IMO the D3 and D4 are about good, the D2 stock is not
Didn't come here for an argument...

Registered
Didn't come here for an argument...
me neither, i just use arguments why i consider the D4 as a good/fast car for daily and im asking what you consider a fast car if the D4 is not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts