Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Our 2005 v40 has just failed it's second MOT on emissions/smoke from the exhaust (?!). The dealer has said they have been getting quite a few of these recently with three in the last week. In their other cases of this issue the solution was to replace the DPF filter as it becomes clogged with soot, which I must say isn't cheap. Initially they suggested it could be driving style, but it generally does about 50 miles/day at high speed and have never seen any DPF warnings etc. Frankly I was absolutely stunned and extremely disappointed that a four year old car could fail it's second MOT on such a thing, so was just wondering if other owners are also experiencing this?

I did also wonder if this has come about because Volvo slightly exaggerated the emissions to get into the nil tax band making it more attractive to potential buyers, then after the VW emissions scandal the government have tightened the rules so now cars have to meet the manufacturers quoted emissions, which it might be able to do when it's new, but after a few years becomes increasingly difficult?

Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Have you noticed if the start-stop function becomes unavailable when driving, or that the engine fan comes on when driving and stays running when you stop?

Those are all indications that the car is running the DPF clean cycle, if that hasn't happened for a while you might not be covering enough miles at the right speeds to get the DPF cycle to run.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for your reply, no, haven't noticed the start-stop function becoming unavailable, but then we tend to switch it off anyway, so perhaps wouldn't notice that. We have noticed the engine fan coming on and staying on after stopping and funny enough did wonder why that was, so thanks for answering that mystery!

Most days it does about 50 miles and most of that journey is at 50-60mph, so I would imagine if that isn't fast/far enough this is going to affect an awful lot of cars.

I did ask the dealer if a manual DPF re-gen would fix this, but he said unfortunately not.

Was just curious to know if this is affecting as many people as they suggested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
What diesel do you normally fill up with? Would suggest 2 full tanks of Vpower Nitro Plus diesel and a nice weekend trip of 100 miles or more @ 70mph...rpms need to be more than 2000rpms for it to burn off 'crap,' prior to next MOT, or maybe a terraclean treatment. Assuming yours is a D2/D3, not sure what rpms are at 70mph, else if you only do 50-60mph road, try 1 gear lower..myself I've got a T3, and it does 2000rpm @ 70mph in 6th gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normally fill up with BP or Esso regular diesel and yes is a D2. Thanks for the suggestions though, assuming we still have the car next MOT, will give that a try next year.
Out of interest, is there any way to view information about the status of the DPF from the car? perhaps through the ODB2 diagnostics port?

Thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
With my Old car 'Seat Leon' the dealer could see the soot loading level (eg..how may % full it is). I'm assuming the DPF light never came on? This means the DPF is 90% clogged and very close to being unfixable...that's when you really need to go for a fast ish drive + 2000rpms for 20 mins...until the light goes away. as you are using 'good' diesel, this is unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. No, never had any light or other sort of DPF warning show up. I was already aware of DPF clogging, so if there had been a warning, I would have reacted and done something like you suggested. Shame it isn't the sort of information you could get from the infotainment screen along with the fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes it's a shame, doesn't need to be exact %, just status; good (green), yellow (filling up) red (go for fast drive now!). Wonder if any cars with diesel engines have this. And wonder if the GPF cars like mine have that as well, if it would clog or not.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have you cleaned your EGR? That might improve combustion and therefore cause less soot. In principle you can do this yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MOT is supposed to last forever for any Volvo car. I've got XC 90 2009 and never had I any issues with the MOT. But it depends a lot on how you've used the car and how well you took care of it. I assume that you're the second owner, right? In this case, you must know how to check mot history. Speaking of which, I've seen a new Volvo on auction the other day. And after tracking that car, I saw that the MOT had been defected, which is very weird, considering that in 2005 it was a Swedish production.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts