Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I got my D2 SE Nav Saturday! Loving it already, many admiring looks, but I have noticed something odd - the instant mpg readout seems stuck at 50mpg half the time? I've tried resetting all the computers but on cruise at 55 or 70, it says 50 mpg. Surely it can't be actually doing the same at two different engine speeds and why does it never say more?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi all,

I got my D2 SE Nav Saturday! Loving it already, many admiring looks, but I have noticed something odd - the instant mpg readout seems stuck at 50mpg half the time? I've tried resetting all the computers but on cruise at 55 or 70, it says 50 mpg. Surely it can't be actually doing the same at two different engine speeds and why does it never say more?
Hi confusedbuyer,

Glad you are loving your new V40. The instant mpg readout reading 50mpg for much of the time is a 'feature'; for some reason 50 is the maximum value it displays even if the car is managing more that 50mpg.

Interestingly in the R-Design I had as a courtesy car whilst my V40 was being serviced last month the instant mpg display read up to 99.9mpg.

·
Registered
53 Posts
On reflection how important is this? It is interesting to see the figures but they are fleeting, momentary and constantly /widely variable, watching can be a potentially dangerous distraction. Surely we all know whether we are driving in a frugal or profligate manner? It's the average that counts. Trip statistics also available for analysis.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a d2 r design lux my15, mine goes up to 99, im not too impressed with the fuel consumption, as the best I have mpg average I have achieved is 55 over the first 600 miles, nothing like the 70 odd that Volvo claim.
Manufacturer's mpg claims are almost impossible to replicate and they acknowledge this in their small print - they are really only good for comparison with other cars.

Having said that it is possible to get 70mpg+ out of a D2 as others on here have shown. HOWEVER...you probably won't have much fun doing it - steady 50 mph on motorways, careful acceleration and no climate control.

A real-world 55mpg isn't too bad; I get about the same and have a light right foot and mostly stick to speed limits on motorways (but I draw the line at doing a steady 50mph!).

·
Registered
382 Posts
Apart from a couple of guys on here, most people seem to report something similar to yourself but after 17k miles I now regularly hit the mid 60's for my journey to and from work.

I usually stick around 65 (not 50) and agree that it is unfair on other motorway users to drive around at snail's pace.

There is a lengthy 50 mph zone on the M1 currently and after my trip home to Leicestershire my average there and back was 74. So if you want to be a pain and drive around at sub fifty you may well achieve an 80+ mpg on some journeys.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It's been said previously that the manufacturers published mpg figures are derived from a set of very specific standard tests. These tests do not adequately replicate driving conditions in the UK, nor the way many people drive. BUT they are standard across manufacturers so you can compare the Audi A3 with the Volvo V40, should you want to do so.

Reactions: Yellowbelly

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a D2 MY14 Powershift. This reads up to 99 Mpg. Seems like you have a software glitch that Volvo needs to sort out.
Fuel consumption - average over 15000 miles is 56 mpg. Interestingly i got over 50 mpg in my Volvo 460 some 15 years ago so what has changed? Not much..

·
Registered
382 Posts
My average, as stated in the gauge behind the steering wheel, that has never been reset was stuck on 59.8 for months but at last it's moved on and is now at 60.9. Not bad when you consider that it also accounts for a trip or two to the local chippy for example! Only a 3 mile round trip and the average for that alone is normally in the 30's!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
60 mph on the motorway will easily pull mpg in the high 70's in a D2 in my experience. You don't have to drive at 50 mph to achieve such high mpg.

At 70 mph on the motorway the D2 will pull mpg in the high 60's again in my experience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
60 mph on the motorway will easily pull mpg in the high 70's in a D2 in my experience. You don't have to drive at 50 mph to achieve such high mpg.

At 70 mph on the motorway the D2 will pull mpg in the high 60's again in my experience.
I'm glad to hear that as I often drive from South Wales to Paderborn Germany and good MPG was one of the plus points which helped me decide on the V40, I'm looking forward to my first long drive.

·
Registered
382 Posts
60 mph on the motorway will easily pull mpg in the high 70's
I think we all know that you have a very special D2 Kev. I think Volvo should buy it back and analyse it so we could all have one.

Reactions: egb

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Oh yes my D2 is special alright. I have just used the £1300.00 savings I made on diesel in the past year to take my kids to Paris for a week. We had a great time. Thanks, special is good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.