Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted or have fitted the genuine Volvo front mud flaps ?

My son picked me up at set for Xmas, which to look at are very small and compact, as far as mud flaps go very neat, so I'm guessing they wont look intrusive on the car.
Not sure if they are worth the £55 though, £90 if Volvo fit them :surprise:

Personally I think they are more of a protection from stone chips on the sill rather than protection from full mud splatter.

I did fit a very similar set to my last car, which turned out to be NOT the easiest of jobs, as all the inner wheel arch lining had to be removed first, then trimmed around the mud flaps.
I'm hoping this is not the case with the Volvo ones ?

I cant fit rear because the Styling Pack dont allow for them.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi Jactac...
I literally spent every cent I had to stretch to the R after originally promising the boss faithfully I would stick with the T4 luxury as an absolute maximum spend...
That was until I drove an R & a T4 luxury back to back & was told by the dealer the only way to get my hands on that T5 engine in Oz was by buying the R or a Cross Country...
The rest is history... But in so doing I had to forgo any extras like mudflaps.
Unbeknownst to me, after I had ordered the R, the boss contacted the dealer & paid to have them fitted as she knew I had intended to order them.
Never saw it coming as she gave me a right dressing down for spending that much money & breaking my promise!

Sorry the photo isn't closer up but I did find this photo amongst those I have taken of the car to give you an idea of what they look like.
The fronts are indeed very slimline & unobtrusive & the rears aren't much bigger.
Very happy with them though :)

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Jactac,
I have fitted the mud flaps to both my previous and current V40. All very easy to fit, no need to remove road wheels or arch liners, provided that you have a 'stubby' splined driver and ratchet to remove and refit the self-tappers that retain them. Sorry, I can't remember the size. I found the rear ones to be quite effective, though others on here disagree. The very small front ones on the new car are to protect against tar and gravel, though the lower sills are made of some type of plastic.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I've only got the front ones to fit because Volvo do not have them for the rear if your car has the styling kit, which mine has.

Looking in the pack theres only a couple of screws so I dont see it as being a big job, but I didn't fancy stripping down the wheel arch protectors .

As you say, they are more in place to protect against tar and gravel :thumbup:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Doddle to fit. 20 min job (if you're taking your time). I didn't bother drilling the extra hole for the rears (on the inside edge) - as others on here had said they didn't seem necessary - and have had no problems with them over the last few months.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree, the extra holes have not proved necessary. Call it 25 minutes, and that gives you time for coffee part way through fitting them!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to need more than mud flaps if this rain dont bloody stop :thumbdown:

·
Registered
389 Posts
As plenty have alreay said it very easy 10min job tops a found putting the wheel on full lock while a fitted each side in turn just gave me a bit more space.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has everyone been to the dealers to get theres, I am wondering if I can get them cheaper dealer want £170 to fit and supply. Pained, but I have noticed a lot more splatter of stuff in contrast to my S80 which had them already from the factory.

·
Registered
767 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I got the fake ones from China on ebay for £40. Fronts are exactly the same as genuine ones and fit perfectly. Rears are slightly different around the mounting holes and need a bit of fettling (still not got round to it yet).

Whatever mud flaps you get, I would suggest putting some clear vinyl on the sill or bumper under where they overlap the paint before you fit them. It stops any grit that gets down between the rubber and painted surface damaging the paintwork. I put some paper inside the lip of the flap and drew around the outer edge, then used that as a template to cut some external-quality clear vinyl to shape.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great tip to use clear vinyl, I used it on my previous car to protect the sills and mirrors.
It's almost invisible if you apply it carefully.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think I got mine for about £50 from Ebay - just waited a week or two and kept an eye out.
There is also a thread from way back when about some ebay copies for £20 - that apparently pretty good. having bought and fitted the Volvo ones - theres not a great deal to them so I'd probably get a knock off copy if I was doing it again...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think I got mine for about £50 from Ebay - just waited a week or two and kept an eye out.
There is also a thread from way back when about some ebay copies for £20 - that apparently pretty good. having bought and fitted the Volvo ones - theres not a great deal to them so I'd probably get a knock off copy if I was doing it again...
Bah! that'll teach me to post before reading the previous posts.

What Buzby said. And take my memory of prices with a pinch of salt :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
£40 for a full set that looks just as good as the real thing is a great find, especially seeing as Volvo charge £55 just for the fronts.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Bah! that'll teach me to post before reading the previous posts.

What Buzby said. And take my memory of prices with a pinch of salt :)
I cant fit them myself as per usual with Motability must be original and only fitted at dealers,

wilkhaven has some great pictures of the cheap as chips Chinese copies fitted but I think they are all about the same

·
Registered
64 Posts
wilkhaven has some great pictures of the cheap as chips Chinese copies fitted
Indeed, as has been said before they were cheap off Ebay and appear to be genuine Volvo. Fitting was as simple as it gets!

Volvo wouldn't supply the rear as they say they're not compatible with the R design, still can't work out why!

They are very good at stopping the crud from country lanes caking the sills and the lower rear bumper only.

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
Very odd!!
They were happy to take my wife's money to dealer fit front & rears to my R-Design!! :dodgy:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

·
Registered
540 Posts
The rears are not available, but ONLY if you've opted for the R-Design Exterior Styling Kit or the standard Exterior Styling Kit , which adds rear deflectors to the lower back end of the wheel arch, hence the mud flaps will not fit.

You can see both kits here .

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-co/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-479971/2015
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-co/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-479872/2015
If I were you - I'd get a pair of the cheapy ebay rears and see whether 5 min with a stanley knife would trim the bits off the mudflaps to make them fit.. I suspect they would go on quite readily..

1 - 20 of 72 Posts