Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I've had the car three days, day one gave it some right foot to she how it goes, low 40mpg, reset dash meter, now day two and three driving scraping 45mpg with sensible driving?

its a MY2015 d2 r-design lux, power shift. i have had air con on but is that really the culprit? i was expecting 60mpg plus

·
Registered
50 Posts
I really don't think you will get a true reading of your mpg for a good couple of thousand miles, engine bedding in and a broad range of driving to get an average..

Did you check honest johns website for the true mpg?

·
Registered
191 Posts
as others have said, it's early days for your car.

Apparently use of climate control does make a bit of a difference to mpg, but type of driving has a bigger influence.

A real-world 60mpg (with climate control on) is do-able given a light-ish right foot and doing sensible speeds on motorways.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Most efficient car I have ever driven. Keep a steady 70mph on a motorway and the D2 will give you mpg in the high 60's. Keep a steady 60mph on a motorway and the D2 will return mpg in the high 70's. After 36,000 miles I can without doubt say the D2 is efficient. In the nearly 2 years I have had my D2 I have saved about £1200 to £1300 per year on diesel costs. Off the motorway does bring the mpg down a little, but it is still high. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well if I get out of my D2 CC 40MPG to the gallon around town and 50MPG on the motorway that will do me a treat. I do a 1200 mile all motorway round trip back and forth to Germany at least 4 or 5 times a year so high MPG as well as comfort is important to me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
It can only get better!!!

I too at first thought I would get an easy 60mpg thanks to oversell , but after two months of ownership I realise that my journeys are not linked to long motorway drives , more local short drives to the coast visits to family etc up to 50 mls e/w max, and therefore my mpg after 1500 mls of 53.2 mpg doesn't seem to far from the honest johns web site. that is still 18 mpg better than our last car, so Im now going to stop worrying about mpg an enjoy a great car for the rest of the three years we will have it. :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I do quite a bit in the Yorkshire Dales and 60mpg is easy enough in these parts. Same with city driving. I tend to ignore mpg sites, they all work to a parameter which may not be the norm for individual persons. Honest John? Not so sure its honest from an mpg perspective. It relies on human beings to input data. But the internet is full of factual data and information right? ;) Mind you, the owners of Honest John will be making good money as they spew out their version of the truth?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Most efficient car I have ever driven. Keep a steady 70mph on a motorway and the D2 will give you mpg in the high 60's. Keep a steady 60mph on a motorway and the D2 will return mpg in the high 70's. After 36,000 miles I can without doubt say the D2 is efficient. In the nearly 2 years I have had my D2 I have saved about £1200 to £1300 per year on diesel costs. Off the motorway does bring the mpg down a little, but it is still high. :)
Steady 70mph on Motorways = High 60's. Not in mine. Cruise control or manual = low 60's.

Steady 60mph on Motorways = High 70's. Not in mine. Cruise control or manual = mid 60's.

Steady 50 for at least 15 miles I will achieve just over 70mpg but not on an undulating motorway with long uphill stretches. Also huge lorries will tailgate constantly and so they should.

All these things are highly subjective but generally I would say that any 'ordinary' fuel driven car achieving a 60+ average over it's life is doing okay.

Does anyone else achieve Kev's mpg figures?

I do concur and state that it is the most fuel efficient car that I have ever driven!

·
Registered
382 Posts
That's twice you've mentioned taking the Kids to Paris. I hope you drove there and saved some more moolah Mr Kev!

·
Registered
46 Posts
My V40 CC D2 diesel is 1 year old at the end of next month and I have just done over 4k and I am getting 52 mpg on motorway runs it works out just under 59 mpg?:thumbup:

At end of this month I will be doing a 600 mile trip from Basingstoke to Sunderland so I will see as to mpg I get there & back:thumbup:

I enjoy driving it as it is very good on fuel as I now drive pass the forecourts these were when I had the Qashie I was for ever filling it up? ahhhhhh:thumbdown:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a basic rule with my D2...take it over 2k rpm the fuel economy will nose-dive to mid fifties...keep it well below 2k and it'll return 65mpg all day long...thrash the arse or red line this engine if you like, but you won't get much change from 500miles to a tank. Whish is pretty good in my mind, I just prefer 700!

·
Registered
62 Posts
My brand new D2 is getting 46mpg at the moment (had it for 5 days). But I've only been driving around Leicester - I haven't been on a motorway or any sort of long journey. In my book, 46mpg for the sort of driving I've been doing is amazing.

The demo car I had did 76mpg between Leicester and Birmingham (this includes rush hour city traffic), so I have high hopes for the weekend when I go to Southampton.

Do you have yours with the dash in ECO mode? If not, do, and pay attention to what it is telling you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My V40 CC D2 diesel is 1 year old at the end of next month and I have just done over 4k and I am getting 52 mpg on motorway runs it works out just under 59 mpg?:thumbup:

At end of this month I will be doing a 600 mile trip from Basingstoke to Sunderland so I will see as to mpg I get there & back:thumbup:

I enjoy driving it as it is very good on fuel as I now drive pass the forecourts these were when I had the Qashie I was for ever filling it up? ahhhhhh:thumbdown:
Only 4k miles in a year? Your car must be pristine!

I have a basic rule with my D2...take it over 2k rpm the fuel economy will nose-dive to mid fifties...keep it well below 2k and it'll return 65mpg all day long...thrash the arse or red line this engine if you like, but you won't get much change from 500miles to a tank. Whish is pretty good in my mind, I just prefer 700!
I'd love 500 miles from a tank. My shitty punto (which goes tomorrow!!) gets me 400 miles from a tank, and a tank is £50!

How much does it cost you to fill up your D2 from empty?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Just over £60 with prices around me.

My last car was fuelled every 5-7 days. My car use remains the same for me yet the D2 gets fuelled at 2.5 to 3 weeks. Hence my big saving on diesel costs. For the extra few minutes travel time to work its worth he extra ££££'s in my pocket. And I am talking savings in excess of £1k per year here. I normally get around 750 miles per tank. I could get the car to go further mind you. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I hope I get the same results. I do 350-400 miles a week, so filling up ever 2 weeks instead of every week would be great. Got my car now. Driven it back, just gonna relax and read the manual, maybe take it out for a spin again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is only a week old, but the average over the 700 miles so far is 53mpg. I've done one journey, driving like a scrooge, that got just over 63mpg. As it loosens up I hope to see some improvement. There was a piece on 5th Gear a few months back on this subject where they concluded that you should expect in the region of 20% lower than the manufacturer's formulaic figures. That seems a more realistic expectation as it's so subjective.

Reactions: AKD47

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think this fuel economy is a little addictive! It's a topic we keep coming back to on the forum. I've had my d2 for just over a year and my fuel economy is still rubbish it ranges between 39 and 43 mpg. It's all to do with driving style and type of trip. I either do lots of short trips or end up on the motorway with my foot down��, neither of which is any good for fuel economy. I average about 650 km out of a tank. No extra holidays for me!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.