Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Finally i registered as a member here, and as a brand new member, i'd like to share my story so far.

I'm from Denmark, so please take my spelling with a grain of salt.

A few months ago, 16.jan 2013, I finally got the call from the Volvo Dealer. My brand new sapphire black V40 D4 Summum Aut. D-Line just got in, and just stood there waiting for me to pick it up. I waited 3 months for it, so as a very happy man, I got in my old V50 for the last time, and went to pick it up.
The dealer were kind to introduce me to all the new safety features, and went on about all sorts of things.
After half an hour, he finally gave me the keys, and I went on home, to pick up my wife. She were just as exited as me.

Then it happened. After just 4 miles (6 km). The thing that always happen to your neighbourg, the thing that should newer happen, but anywho is the main reason to buy a Volvo.

Some woman from outta town, misses her stopsign and crosses the road with 40 mph. I'm also doing around 40, and eventhoug the car itself tries to avoid the collision, the distance to the road crossing, is just to short. I crash directly into the drivers side of her newish Ford Fiesta. With a big weith advantage to my Volvo, her Ford flips over 2 times, and end up 80 feet into a field. Unfortunetly there were no witnesses, so we are all alone. Luckily for her, I'm driving a Volvo, so I just open the driverdoor, and steps out of the car, not really sure what just happened. She trapped in her car, and bleading heavy from her head, And I think she might have a broken arm. I call for an ambulance, and start first aid. The Police gets there pretty quick, and takes over, and after another few minutes, the ambulance gets there. After a short ammount of time, they take her to the hospital, so I dont even know her name, or where she comes from.
As I come back onto the road, I can se my brand new Volvo is pretty messed up. I'm actually surprised how smashed up it is. I didnt even think the crash vere so bad, and I remember that just after hitting her, I vere sitting in the car, wondering why all airbags went off. Stupid to do that, with this little bump. But now I could se why.
We had to get the car of the road, so the police asked if I could help push it out of the way. The policeman went behind the weel, and to both his and my big surprice, the car vere able to start. The engine went on, and he could drive it to a safe place. The only thing were that the instruments said to go to a Volvo workshop, as the safety system has went off, and that there vere low coolong fluid, and low wash water. :)

After 1 hour, the car got picked up, and we returned to the dealer after just 1½ hour.

After the Volvo workshop had viewed the car, they said that it could be repaired, and due to Danish insurance policy, that means that I dont just get a new car. They will repair the crashed one.. :(

Here I am today, 2 months later. The car is still at the workshop, and with a little luck, they have said that its finished next friday, so I can finally get a little more fun out of my Volvo V40, than just 4 miles.

Please note if you want to see some pics, of one of the first crashed V40's.

I dont have the pics on a shared location drive, so I have put various pics in my skydrive public folder. The link goes directly to a picture of the car, just arrived from the factory, but you should be able to click public (offentlig), to se some random pics over the last 2 months.

I have actually never shareds pics in a forum before, so if the link doesnt work, please let med know, and i'll try something else.

Link to Pics.

·
Registered
101 Posts
RE: My sad V40 ownership

What a story! But think of it this way, the mechanics gets some hands-on experience :)

if you don't mind, please share a photo of you car. I could be interesting to see how it deforms in a real-world collision.

·
Registered
159 Posts
RE: My sad V40 ownership (updatetd with pics link)

Really sorry to hear that, I think that has to be some kind of record, almost totalling a car after only 4miles. Considering your description of what happened, the car doesn't appear to be very badly damaged, that's reassuring to know it's good in a collision.
Hope it comes back to you in showroom condition and the experience hasn't put you off driving.

·
Registered
117 Posts

OUCH! You have my sympathies! Interesting to see the pics. I really hope you'll be enjoying your Volvo again very soon

·
Registered
31 Posts

I'm really sorry to read about what happened to you. But if I were you I wouldn't keep the car. The car is cursed!! Most likely that car will always find a way to get smashed for some reason or another. I was in a situation like this once, and someone told me that more things would happen later on and they surely did! I'm not superstitious, but for some reason, there are always some cars that tend to attract a lot of bad luck :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey you guys.

After 11 weeks, I finally got the car back from the workshop. I picked it up just before easter, so have had it for almost 2 weeks now.
Since I got the car back, I have just been driving around, and added 1000 miles to the clock. Althoug I have owned it for 3 months now, for the first time, I have finally had a chance to really enjoy the car.

I have updatet my link with new pics, with the car in my driveway, for the first time in 3 months. The pics with steel alloys is from the pick-up day. Had to take some pics in a hurry, just in case... :)

Reactions: Spiceboy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Very interesting pics. It's impressive how a body shop can take apart and then rebuild a car they've never seen before.
And the car looks great now.
Safe driving ;-)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
8 Posts
What a terrible story man. The car does look like new. They did a great job! Hope stuff like this won't happen again. Safe driving.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Really pleased you have your car back - Volvo did a fantastic job.

Thats some pretty amazing pics you have linked to - many thanks for sharing all of them :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the story. Glad you survived without injury. It's amazing that the crumple zones on your V40 worked so well that the windscreen didn't even break ! I'm even more glad I drive one now.
Katron said:
Hi all.

Finally i registered as a member here, and as a brand new member, i'd like to share my story so far.

I'm from Denmark, so please take my spelling with a grain of salt.

A few months ago, 16.jan 2013, I finally got the call from the Volvo Dealer. My brand new sapphire black V40 D4 Summum Aut. D-Line just got in, and just stood there waiting for me to pick it up. I waited 3 months for it, so as a very happy man, I got in my old V50 for the last time, and went to pick it up.
The dealer were kind to introduce me to all the new safety features, and went on about all sorts of things.
After half an hour, he finally gave me the keys, and I went on home, to pick up my wife. She were just as exited as me.

Then it happened. After just 4 miles (6 km). The thing that always happen to your neighbourg, the thing that should newer happen, but anywho is the main reason to buy a Volvo.

Some woman from outta town, misses her stopsign and crosses the road with 40 mph. I'm also doing around 40, and eventhoug the car itself tries to avoid the collision, the distance to the road crossing, is just to short. I crash directly into the drivers side of her newish Ford Fiesta. With a big weith advantage to my Volvo, her Ford flips over 2 times, and end up 80 feet into a field. Unfortunetly there were no witnesses, so we are all alone. Luckily for her, I'm driving a Volvo, so I just open the driverdoor, and steps out of the car, not really sure what just happened. She trapped in her car, and bleading heavy from her head, And I think she might have a broken arm. I call for an ambulance, and start first aid. The Police gets there pretty quick, and takes over, and after another few minutes, the ambulance gets there. After a short ammount of time, they take her to the hospital, so I dont even know her name, or where she comes from.
As I come back onto the road, I can se my brand new Volvo is pretty messed up. I'm actually surprised how smashed up it is. I didnt even think the crash vere so bad, and I remember that just after hitting her, I vere sitting in the car, wondering why all airbags went off. Stupid to do that, with this little bump. But now I could se why.
We had to get the car of the road, so the police asked if I could help push it out of the way. The policeman went behind the weel, and to both his and my big surprice, the car vere able to start. The engine went on, and he could drive it to a safe place. The only thing were that the instruments said to go to a Volvo workshop, as the safety system has went off, and that there vere low coolong fluid, and low wash water. :)

After 1 hour, the car got picked up, and we returned to the dealer after just 1½ hour.

After the Volvo workshop had viewed the car, they said that it could be repaired, and due to Danish insurance policy, that means that I dont just get a new car. They will repair the crashed one.. :(

Here I am today, 2 months later. The car is still at the workshop, and with a little luck, they have said that its finished next friday, so I can finally get a little more fun out of my Volvo V40, than just 4 miles.

Please note if you want to see some pics, of one of the first crashed V40's.

I dont have the pics on a shared location drive, so I have put various pics in my skydrive public folder. The link goes directly to a picture of the car, just arrived from the factory, but you should be able to click public (offentlig), to se some random pics over the last 2 months.

I have actually never shareds pics in a forum before, so if the link doesnt work, please let med know, and i'll try something else.

Link to Pics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all.

Well, almost a month has passed now, since I got the car back from the workshop, and about 2000 miles now, without any incidents.. :)

Only a coulpe of things has turned up, since the repair.

1. The windscreen probably has to be replaced. Theres a million little scratces across the screen, most likely splinters from the Fords side windows.

2. The anti whiplash thing in the headrest, have been activatet on the passenger seat, and left some horrible marks in the leather on the back of the seat. The whiplash mecanism have been pulled back into place, but the back part of the seat has to be replaced, due to the damaged leather.

3. The module for pedestrian sensor, came with an error, and have already been replaced.

4. The left backdoor doesnt line up. Thought it was just a matter of adjustment, but the workshop guy talked about some weird allignment, and wouldnt rule out a replacement door. They'll find out, when the car returns to "after repair" inspection.

5. Some safety hook in the engine room, that has to catch the hood, when the pedestrian airbag goes off, also catched the hood in the crash. Theres a new hook on the hood, but the counterpart on the roolbar is busted. A new rool bar has been fittet.

Thats about it for now. All the above things, showed up after a few days, and all the safety issues were fixed immidiatly, due to Volvo policy.

Just started up an case with the Ford owners insurance company. When she has all the responsabillity in the crash, I have a legal right, to claim them for loss of value, due to the repair of my car. I'm hoping to see around 5000£ (50.000 dkr) in return.

Reactions: AKD47

·
Registered
630 Posts
Katron said:
Just started up an case with the Ford owners insurance company. When she has all the responsabillity in the crash, I have a legal right, to claim them for loss of value, due to the repair of my car. I'm hoping to see around 5000£ (50.000 dkr) in return.
In the past, when I had a car repaired after it had been in an accident which was totally the fault of the other driver, it didn't occur to me to claim for the reduction in the value of my car. I'm pleased you mentioned it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What a story! Thanks for sharing.

You have my sympathies. What a relief it all turned out good for you and your car. Very interesting and unique photos you have there.

I guess in terms of safety this story remainded us why we chose the V40. It also clarified why the V40 came out on top in the Euro NCAP.

There must be some wizards at the workshop. Looking at the pics, they've done a great job. Looking as good as new.

Drive safely and enjoy your car!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts