Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've have had my V40 for a year now, and I thought I'd post my thoughts of the car.

We have driven 15.000 km, and the onboard computer tells me the average fuel consumption is 20 km/l. We drive mostly in the city, with longer motorway journeys (250km) one or 2 times a month on average.

We often talk about how nice the seats are, especially on the longer drives. This was not something I thought of, when we bought the car or tried other models. And its the little details like that, that makes this car very easy to love; the little place behind the radio-console to put your cellphone, the lights in the sealing makes it easy getting our daughter in and out at night etc.

We got the V40 because we were expecting a baby, and she just turned 1, as the car did. This means that we carry a lot of baby gear on our trips, from her pram to the stroller we now have. The pram took almost the entire boot (we don't have the flexible boot floor, just one big boot) but it wasen't a big problem, since we could use the other backseat for clothes as well. The new stroller is much smaller so the backseat is free again.

I was asked in the summer by a family member, if I had found any annoyances on the car, since we have had it for so long. I had a hard time finding any major issues, and the issues I could come up with seems to be very minor. The first thing is the placement of the keys - we have our carkey in the same keyhanger as our housekeys, bikekeys, etc. They do make a rattle while driving, unless you move them to a specific position.

Second thing is the responsiveness of the bluetooth connection. We use it with our phones quite often, and it works very well. Only issue, is when using the phone-part, its quite slow to scroll through your contacts.

Third issus would be the little switch to the left of the steering wheel, where you select the light-setup. The little green diode that is on if your main light is on, can be hard to spot when driving. I have experienced a few times to drive into some very heavy rain, and I want to ensure my lights are on. It puzzles med why there are no icon in the TFT display, that would be nice.

Last week I had booked the first service check at the dealer, and yesterday I got the bill: 375€, that was actually cheaper than expected.
Apart from the service, the car have been at the dealer 3 times, 2 recalls and then the clock started to loose time, so I asked them to perform a software update and since then the clock is correct.

So, apart from those little annoyances, we enjoy the car and have not for a second regretted buying this over a Golf, A3, Giulietta or A-Class.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Brilliant email (Peter?) and with your car a year old, you really were one of the first with a V40!

My car is six months old today and completed 20,000 miles (36,000km) and has been a joy...like you I'm so glad I'm not in a German car!

I don't have the same issues with the keys or Bluetooth (in fact I find the mobile phone and I-pod connectivity very quick) but I completely agree with your observation on a "dipped beam" icon being on the main dash rather than a hidden LED.

Have you not had the problem with the paint peeling on the front and rear bumpers...interesting if not?

I'm pretty sure in March 2014 I'll be writing a similarly positive email.

Thanks
Darren

Rebel Blue D2 R-Design Lux Nav, Premium Sound, DAB, Winter Pack, Rear Tinted, Auto-dimming...love it!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Do you have the sport suspension and low profile tyres? Feels like mine can;t take the punch of the road, as it will come back from the dealership, be awesome for a week, then all the rattles and noises are back.

·
Registered
273 Posts
VoodooBOB...if you're asking me, I don't have the Sports suspension or 17inch tyres...luckily here in the UK, our motoring magazine "Autocar" had their car specified this way (typical for them) and they wrote a piece in about November 2012 and on the recommendation of Volvo Engineers who came over from Sweden, they specifically said for UK roads, to stick with the Dynamic chassis and regular 18inch tyres!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies :)

I have not noticed any paint problems - have only looked thoroughly at the rear bumpers, I may have to take a look at the front when I get home.

And no, i don't have low profile tyres (16") or sports suspension, just regular I guess. That makes the car nice an comfortable even on bad roads, and I don't have any issues driving at high speeds either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts