Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thanks for letting me join
Here is my new to me V40
I am very happy with it , it’s not the fastest of cars I have but I’m liking the ride and quality of it.

I have one slight concern in that the engine sounds a little noisey to me
Is this normal ?
Also it may be just me but it feels a little jerky sometimes, that said I do like the car.
The car is still under warranty, so just wanted to check if anything i should be worried about.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
66Plate V40 D2 Momentum Nav Plus in Mussel Blue
15 Posts
Whilst searching recently for a V40 I did drive a couple of V40 T2's and at the time I did think to myself that the 2.0 VEA Petrol engine was very diesely sounding and rattly. Having now bought a D2 my personal opinion is that both the diesel 2.0 VEA and the petrol 2.0 VEA engine are equally noisy and rattly particularly so at idle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My T3 sounds a bit gruff for a petrol engine but I wouldn't call it noisy.

One thing I've noticed recently is an unusual sound that sometimes happens when the engine is winding down after I take my foot off the accelerator. It's difficult to describe but it's sort of a clattering sound.

Anyway its recently been serviced and they couldn't recreate it so probably just being a bit hypervigilant

Overall I'm happy with it so far. Got the 1.5 auto VEA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your replies , i am happy to hear this and think i was getting paranoid . ill look forward to driving it .

·
Registered
520 Posts
When I had the V40 T3 (1.5 variant) I thought, the engine sounded 'fruity' expecially when it was close to the red line. It's noise, well you know that it's on and doing stuff and at what approximate revs. Now that car is gone and replaced with an Audi A3. This VAG engine is so quiet (I mean it could be at 4-5k rpms and I wouldn't know it), so yea maybe the V40 engines are louder than in other same category cars. Guess it also depends which car you were coming from prior.

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
52 Posts
My T2 is "noisy" as well, even though that is very subjective. What is noisy anyway? I don't notice it anymore as I have gotten used to it, but back in Jan when I got the car, I could easily compare it to my 56 Civic, which sounded far smoother and quieter.
I guess it's a matter of getting acclimated to the machine. For instance, I got used to its diesel like character of low end torque and having to shift gears up to 2k rpm, whereas my wife, who drives a 116i BMW finds the engine and gearbox quite juddery and unrefined.
I do want to point out that the bonnet has a felt lining on it, which is something you would normally see on a diesel, them being the noisier engines.
I guess that's another thing the VEA petrol and diesels have in common.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Try a few tanks of premium fuel. Volvo manual for T2 says
  • 98 RON is recommended for optimum performance and minimum fuel consumption.
It transformed SWMBO V40. Much less knocking than when on regular and drives more smoothly after about a year on that grade alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts