Volvo V40 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Almost 2 year old 68 Plate V40 T3 Momentum Nav + Auto. So far so good, just a few times the Infortainment would freeze and restart 5 mins later when driving for 2+ hours or more. Will leave it parked up outside for around 2 months, hope it will start up fine once I return in end Dec. Else it would be the 'first' real issue I would have..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Only issue initially was road noise compared to the outgoing Toyota Avensis which was ridiculously quiet.
Solution was a change of tyres that did not have blocks on the edges of the tread which are known to causes vibration and whining.
Fi crossed.
May I ask what brand tyres did you change the (assuming) factory fitted Michelin tyres to? Falkens/ Goodyears?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Bought new 2016.
1. Sat nav antenna went faulty 6 months after purchase.
2. Drivers mirror vibrating, 12 months after purchase.
3. Drive shaft oil seal leaking, 2 years after purchase.
4. Drivers mirror vibrating AGAIN, 18 months after purchase.
5. Rear camera, freezing, intermittent fault since buying the car, software updates solve the issue for a little but still ongoing.

The car has only done 11500 miles since new (2016) so even though the fault list is fairly small, I'm not impressed with Volvo's so called quality build.
Which brings me onto the next question :
Would you buy another one ?
I wouldn't, not just because of the fault list, in fact I've had far worse new cars, I just feel that Volvo's design people are a little bit left behind these days in comparison to the styling of some other makes of cars on the roads these days..

Also agree with the road noise issue.
My V40 R Design has awful road noise, but I did opt for the 18' inch rim as opposed to the standard 17" so maybe that's why ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No horrors so far after a year with a 2018 T3 Inscription auto.
Only issue initially was road noise compared to the outgoing Toyota Avensis which was ridiculously quiet.
Solution was a change of tyres that did not have blocks on the edges of the tread which are known to causes vibration and whining.
Since then absolutely nothing wrong!!
Fi crossed.
John what tyres did you put?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just moved to an EV - but ran a 2014 D2 SE lux from 2015-2021 from 15000 to 132000 miles. Overall pretty good - aside from servicing/tyres, replacement windscreen etc the issues were:

2016 rear view mirror game unglued abs dropped off.
2017 front coil spring broke (picked up in first MOT) replaced under warranty (just!)
2018 other front coil spring (£150)
2021 stop start battery - and front pads and discs giving loads of vibration. Both probably due to the car not moving for 4-6 weeks at a time in lockdown.

so overall - not a horror story. My past car was a mk6 golf that I did 90k in and only has to replace tyres (not even brake pads!) but the volvo did really well and was supremely comfortable

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
439 Posts
Other than chewing through concentric release bearings, 40k car will be chewing on its fourth next week... And Alan (op), if you got 20k out of wipers, you did well😀
Well, just re reading some posts, time for an update :)
My prediction was correct... It ate another, So, I moved it on. Gone. Now 6 weeks into ownership of D2 no.2, I cant select 5th. Maybe its me, the previous owner ran it for 4 years covering 25k 😂😂

·
Registered
289 Posts
Now 6 weeks into ownership of D2 no.2, I cant select 5th. Maybe its me, the previous owner ran it for 4 years covering 25k 😂😂
Is it a 2017MY or newer (with the M76 gearbox)? If so, difficulty selecting 5th gear, particularly when the box is hot, is a known problem. There is a revised clip available for the selector linkage, which costs pennies and solves the issue:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I guess I've been lucky. Bought V40CC D3 new in September 2014. Now covered 85,000Km. One fault early on - a wing mirror that kept trying to close, even though it was already fully closed. Not so much travel since Covid struck, but it handled the Basel to Belfast annual trip wonderfully well.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
439 Posts
Is it a 2017MY or newer (with the M76 gearbox)? If so, difficulty selecting 5th gear, particularly when the box is hot, is a known problem. There is a revised clip available for the selector linkage, which costs pennies and solves the issue:

Ahh! thanks for that, will give them parts folk a call monday:)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts