Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :)

Just got my first volvo v40 and so far I'm very happy with it, everything feels right, at its place with one problem - navigation.

My car doesn't have the built in nav (considering buying) and I'm thinking hardly how and where to mount my iPhone so I can use it for nav.

I must say that I do like the way volvo placed usb socket so I can hide my phone inside and no cables are dangling around, however with such setup I can't use nav on my phone. I'm not really trying to mount my phone permanently on the dashboard because I won't need to use it that much, just trying to find a good and safe place to mount it so I can occasionally put it there for nav.

So I tried to search for a GOOD spot on the dashboard to mount it, but without any real good results.

Here are my thoughts:
- ProClip mount solution seems nice, but I don't like the idea that I will mount it on the exhaust cover
- Other suction based mounts, looks like I can't suck them to dashboard because of the material it's made of.. sucking to front window would work but there's not that much space there and cables will be dangling around (If I want my phone to be connected)
- Mounts I can put on the dashboard (I guess they need to be heavy) but never had one like this

I bet that anyone had such problems for sure too :)

I'm thinking about buying external nav (Tomtom or Garmin) to mount/place it on the dashboard too - any advices on that (brand, mount model) ?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a Garmin (life time free updates) which I mount on the centre of the screen using the suction mount. Yes the cable is loose across the top of the dash, but I manage to clip it behind the trim of the centre console (passenger side) and bring the plug back to the 12v socket in the arm rest box. Didn't even consider the in built Nav. I don't often need it and far too expensive, given that a Garmin or Tomtom cost £150 or less with Lifetime Updates. And the updates can be done indoors on a fast broadband.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I love my TomTom - think it's an 830, although it will be largely redundant when I pick up the car this week (with NAV)

Has intelligent routing so depending on time of day it judges traffic when routing, also has traffic monitoring for incidents etc with auto routing - got me out of the $hit soooo many times.

Like ability to put latitude and longitude in so you can go on google earth, pick your spot in the car park at your destination and it will take your right there

Also lane assist so shows you a graphic of junctions and which lane to get in.

It was a lot of money at the time (think about £350) but every inbuilt system I have seen has been lame by comparison !

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd get a windscreen mount holder and order a long iPhone cable off eBay. See if you can tuck the cable in/under/behind things to hide it from view, while routing it to the USB post. Also, if you go for a black cable instead of a standard white one, it will stand out less. The floating centre dash area will make it harder to completely hide everything though.

Another alternative is to buy a power socket kit and wire it into the car. Then run a hidden power supply to the phone location. This would involve knowing what you are doing though. I did this on my last car and may do that same on my V40 too.

·
Registered
591 Posts
order a long iPhone cable off eBay
Agree with window mount

An idea I came up with for a friend is a USB extension cable (male to female) instead of a longer i-phone lead, then just plug your std i-phone lead into it. Far easier, cheaper and if it gets a tug it just comes apart

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also use the TomTom app, they redesigned it last year. 50 miles a month free, or £15 a year in app purchase for any map in the world, this includes live traffic, speed camera alerts, current road speed, and multi route choices. Its really accurate and well worth spending £15 a year, the UK map is 1GB download so that it works even without a mobile phone signal so you have to make sure you have space on device.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tomtom-go-mobile/id884963367?mt=8

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.