Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi,

I got my DVDs through this weekend, my first update too, haven't run the update yet, but have just got the code.

I don't know where you got that website from, but in the update instructions that came in the box with the discs it says you need to go to www.volvocars.co.uk/navi and enter your VIN (copied and pasted mine in from the MyVolvo site) and email address, the activation code is displayed on the screen instantly (and sent to you in an email). I've just done it, took no more than 20 seconds.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Received the update on Friday and installed it over the weekend.

It takes approximately 5.5 hours to install, and the Sensus Infotainment system has to be on during this time - the engine doesn't have to be running though. The update pauses each time the Sensus system is switched off and resumes when it's switched back on.

The UK map is on Disk 2, and navigation using the UK map is available after installing Disk 2.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The link is mentioned in the e-mail I received before the DVD's arrived (I've managed to get it to work now so have the code)

Thanks for the replies.....5.5hrs!!:huh: (hmm!)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have to say it is not all that good to warrant the extra upload time, my tom tom can upload with uk & Europe in about 50 minutes and it has better POI's
You may be right Dennis but I will take the convenience of the builtin satnav against faffing with cables, chargers and screen mounts anytime.

As a previous TomTom user I do miss HD Traffic though :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've found the Nav to be generally good and have no complaints.

However, over 5 hours to update is ridiculous and Volvo really need to sort this. Even if it involves just allowing owners to select which countries to install/update!

·
Registered
945 Posts
My factory nav is not bad and it easy to bulk upload my own poi's (McDonald's & speed cameras etc.)

But what does annoy me is the 'turn slightly left' instruction, what does that mean??

The avoid traffic congestion is a bit of a pain in that it only tells you how much longer (distance) the new route is, a map showing the old and new route would be better.

Also having to read the traffic issue is not the safest way to update you, why can't it be announced?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, actually it was hassle for me today!:mad:

I started the update yesterday and finished disk 1 and was around a quarter of the way through disk 2.

Today, I had to to give my Daughter a lift to Norfolk (a friend she originally was going with was ill) The Nav system was still on limited functionality so I couldn't use it!....it took another 1:30 before I could!

Over 5 hours is excessive for a nav update! A VW Golf can be updated in 2 hours using a SD card!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Do you guys pay for this update? I was told I have to pay for map updates, which I find odd, surely you should get lifetime free map updates.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I get free lifetime updates with my Garmin, another reason I didn't go for the Nav option

·
Registered
191 Posts
Do you guys pay for this update? I was told I have to pay for map updates, which I find odd, surely you should get lifetime free map updates.
Here in the UK, the first two annual updates have been included with a new V40. I've just installed the second update so I shall have to pay for next year's update. Something tells me it won't be cheap.

I think I read something about MY15 NAV models including lifetime free updates.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey guys

Can any of you who received your DVDs please help me with some information, as I am yet to receive my update DVDs.

It's a long story, ($tealership ****-up) but I need to go and check at the $tealership. They don't even seem to know what I should be getting :-/

Is it this ?

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...yID=mOoKCghBxBQAAAE.YB1oq8HK&JumpTo=OfferList

Volvo Denso HDD Europe 1420 ?

Can some please take a picture of the pack and PM me, just so I know what I should be getting when I go to the $tealership.

Thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks NeilP and Techwatcher

Yes, I am having fun with Volvo UK, the $tealership that I bought the V40 from, and the company that sends out the DVD (Navteq)

I bought my car from a Volvo $tealer that is not local to me, as they did not have the right car. It was a used/approved car.

The selling $tealer sent my details to Navteq and registered for the map update.

Apparently, I have now been told, I missed the update that came out while the car was sitting at the forecourt.

Navteq now don't know when Volvo will 'allow' release of new updates, Volvo UK say it is down to Navteq.

And in the midst of all this, my local $tealer don't even seem to be sure about what I should get.

I'm now chasing up and trying to find out who will actually take some responsibility to provide me with the new DVDs.

My local $tealer suggested I just buy the new DVD, which I think is ridiculous, as Volvo should provide me free of cost, as part of the 2 free updates. Of course, the $tealer will say that so they can make a sale.

But what they did not have an answer to was, if I buy this, and then get an update sent out, will I get a refund ?

So tempted to just buy a set from eBay and use that so I don't have to throw away my hard earned money at these people who don't seem to care !

But I don't know if that will work - don't I need some sort of code ?

Grrrr :s

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Firstly you should be entitled to two free annual map updates - assuming the previous owner of the car hasn't already registered it (?)

Map updates are produced annually in June/July and people who register will receive the next two updates so you will receive the next update in June/July next year.

As you have found, dealers don't always give the right information regarding map updates - my (otherwise excellent) dealer provided misleading information when I bought my car.

You COULD buy the official update to get it quicker but I suspect a subsequent request for a refund from Navteq will fall on deaf ears.

You could buy also the discs off eBay but an activation code based on you car's VIN is required for installation.

BTW when you do get the update be prepared for a long update process; the four discs take c. 4-5 hours to install and it only installs when the Infotainment system is on, stopping and starting with the car's engine. As the UK map is on Disc 2 you can use navigation after Disc 2 is installed.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.