Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a V40 2015 that is due it's 5 year service soon. I looked online to see how much based on my Model and year (mileage is only 42000) Quote shows £1065. Weirdly this includes the cambelt change which in mileage terms is way off being needed to be changed.

I go on to Volvo Service plan and think to myself great I can spread the cost...Nope. The plan does not give you a lump sum which you then pay back. Its no different than me just putting the money in my back pocket per month for the year till the next service comes around. Its a pot not a loan. What's the point?? So my only option would to pay a one off payment.

Soo I put the details into the serviceplan website to get a quote, Current mileage 42000, Annual mileage 15000, duration of plan 24 months. So 2 lots of servicing, 5 year and 6 year service. Both these services if I go to the Volvo website for my local dealer would cost £1500. But the serviceplan quote shows a one off payment of £752 ?!?!?!.

My question is how is that £752 going to cover 2 years worth of servicing costing £1500??

Has anyone seen or experienced this? I dont want to book my service with the local dealer for them to say you have come up short and need to pay alot more.

I have called Volvo Service Plan and waiting back from their claims department.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can only guess the £752 is not covering the timing belt change, just the general service items. Is your heart set on using a Volvo garage? Once my car gets passed its 3rd service, I think I'll be moving over to a decent independent garage where a full service should be in the region of £150-200 a year. Obviously the timing belt would be on top of that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can only guess the £752 is not covering the timing belt change, just the general service items. Is your heart set on using a Volvo garage? Once my car gets passed its 3rd service, I think I'll be moving over to a decent independent garage where a full service should be in the region of £150-200 a year. Obviously the timing belt would be on top of that.
This would be a good guess :) Hopefully this is what the Service Plan claims people will come back with.
As for future servicing, My heart isn't really set on Volvo garage. Its basically finding a good reputable alternative in my area that has access to VIDA. System needed to reset codes if needed, like oil changes as the sensor needs resetting after an oil change (no dipstick) and software updates. Also keep my warranty with RAC happy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a V40 2015 that is due it's 5 year service soon. I looked online to see how much based on my Model and year (mileage is only 42000) Quote shows £1065. Weirdly this includes the cambelt change which in mileage terms is way off being needed to be changed.
The cambelt is made of rubber which perishes over time. There are some parts that need changing because they wear out over time as well as over mileage covered

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cambelt is made of rubber which perishes over time. There are some parts that need changing because they wear out over time as well as over mileage covered
Yes, The cambelt, pulleys and tensioners would need replacing but not generally at 42000. Should be 8 years or 144,000. They don't expect a 5 year volvo to do 8400 a year. Hence why the cost of the plan is possibly lower due to the cambelt change not being needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right!! So there is sound clarity now.
Volvo on the V40 model had moved the cambelt change to 90,000/Ten Years. So as my car was coming up to its 5 year/90,000 mile service the cost of the service was to include the cambelt change, hence the £1000 service cost. But as my car is nowhere near the 90,000 miles Volvo has to physically untick the cambelt option in the service. Which means the 5 year service is greatly reduced to £330.
That means that the original Service Plan was correct, Quoting £752 for 2 services minus the not needed cambelt change.

All makes sense now. Car now booked in :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Makes sense, glad you got to the bottom of it. I was wondering what cambelt intervals were for my car as well, which is the T3 manual - with the newer, 2.0l Volvo derived engine. The info I have found varies, from 8-10 years and a wild variety of mileage.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Get genuine Volvo Service Kits from ebay for your model and get a good independent to fit.
That's my advice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dont get me started on service departments... theyre targeted and paid handsomely on service plan sales, the aftersales manager will heavily discount the parts thus to protect their precious 100 quid hourly labour rate, but the customer offer looks fantastic so thats tip top. Often, the filters are not fitted, youll get no screenwash added just water, and they might pump 1/2 a litre of brake fluid through. Incidentally, 2 litres of brake fluid is normally sold to retail customers, but Motability only have ever paid for 1 litre, the 2nd litre being paid internally by parts. Its a very corrupt industry. I have to say, this is only my experience, and not all representatives are con artists. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts