Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this query shouldn't be here - but you guys and gals posting about 'orders' will have up to date experience.

In 'my' day (now in my 70s) if we saw a used car with a screen price of say £15,000, we would ask if there was any discount for no part/ex. Now I see cars with a screen price and then an overrider that there'll be a £99 admin fee added upon completion of a sale. Where did that come from?

I'm in the market for a used V40, it'll be my last car but I'd like something a little tasty yet economical from the point of view that this V40 will not be a daily driver but may sit on my driveway for two weeks unused. £20 VED as per the D4 will do me nicely - as will 0-62 in 7.8 seconds.

Right - my query. if approaching a car on a forecourt with a screen price - any likelihood of price movement for any reason? Of course, if I know a car has been sitting awhile I'll use common sense - but a V40 D4 Geartronic in a popular colour ain't gonna be sitting gathering dust anywhere.

Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good luck with your search.
I think most dealers will have some sort of price movement built in, if you don't ask for a discount they certainly won't offer one.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Theres ALWAYS room to haggle buddy, especially if your going with wonga in your hand.

All garages/dealerships have a "cushion" to play with on their screen price, it's there to be chipped away at.

If you don't chip away then the dealer is a few more quids in, if you do manage to get a bit off by haggling, well he/she, the seller would have already figured an amount into the selling price anyway.

Go for it pal, stand firm, and wave the wonga under his nose.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I reckon no trade in is worth £500 minimum, at least, it was for me. Ask for a grand though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks, you've restored my faith in the old sport of haggling and chipping. My recent experiences had included a Jaguar XF priced at £18,251 and, you've guessed it, I walked off when I was told there'd be no discount. It was sold the following day - so someone reckoned it was priced right.

·
Registered
942 Posts
My thoughts...

I always consider that a good car deal falls somewhere between 5% - 15% off sticker price erisaman.
It's the salesmans job to keep it between 0% - 5% & your job to get it as close to 15% as you can!

Try not to show too much initial interest even if it's the kitted out car of your dreams...
Once they realise you REALLY want it... your leverage pretty much disappears.
You must keep them thinking you are about to walk away & buy elsewhere if they don't budge on price!

Knowledge is power so if you do spot a D4 you like do a quick check of what other D4's with similar options are going for & don't be scared to show the dealer you know what the car is worth!

Lastly, you are not there to make a friend you're there to get the best price so don't be scared to offer low... They'll be used to that!
The very worst they can do is say no...

Good Luck Sir :wink2:
Don't forget our pics too!!

P.S. I still HIGHLY recommend you pay the £120 yearly tax, (Bloody bargain!) buy an 8 speed T5 & put a 0-100km in 6.3 seconds smile on your face!! 6.1 in Polestar tune :grin2:
Having had a 3000km old D4 as a service loaner on Monday... The difference IS quite noticeable... I'll say no more!!

Reactions: erisaman

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S. I still HIGHLY recommend you pay the £120 yearly tax, (Bloody bargain!) buy an 8 speed T5 & put a 0-100km in 6.3 seconds smile on your face!! 6.1 in Polestar tune :grin2:
Having had a 3000km old D4 as a service loaner on Monday... The difference IS quite noticeable... I'll say no more!!
You're a bad 'un - here I am trying to act my age and behave myself and then you throw that at me!

I'm watching all the usual car sales ads and note that D4s are thin on the ground and I had thought the T5 was in a high tax band in the U.K. Reading your response has prompted me to widen my search as it will be worth checking them out a little more thoroughly.

Thank you again - you've brought a smile to my face and a devilish glint to my eye.>:)

·
Registered
942 Posts
You're a bad 'un - here I am trying to act my age and behave myself and then you throw that at me!

I'm watching all the usual car sales ads and note that D4s are thin on the ground and I had thought the T5 was in a high tax band in the U.K. Reading your response has prompted me to widen my search as it will be worth checking them out a little more thoroughly.

Thank you again - you've brought a smile to my face and a devilish glint to my eye.>:)
Funny... I get that glint every time I sense a cocky GTI, A3 or A250 in the vicinity >:)
The day you start to try & act your age erisaman... Is the day you doom yourself to succeed!! True Story :grin2:

All jokes aside... Like a LOT of owners on this forum I can't say enough good things about the V40 & in my case a DSP equipped, Polestar tuned, T5 V40.
All those systems in play helping to keep me alive combined with a serious grin factor on the right road... Brilliant bit of kit!!
One of the standout features for me that I've already alluded to is the T5/ 8 speed matchup...
Genuinely quicker than most hatches in sport or manual but super smooth in drive with almost seamless changes & relatively good economy for a petrol turbo.

Try & enjoy the purchase process but if not... The payoff is worth it :wink2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
There's definitely room to haggle with Volvo main dealers, managed to haggle £500 of my Volvo select v40 and also a full tank of diesel into the deal,

Felt pretty good at the time.

Good luck with your search and haggling

·
Registered
729 Posts
There is always a bit leeway
Recently bought a GT86, second hand from an official Toyota dealer
Not only did they take my 22 year old, not smog compliant Celica in part exchange, they also put in a reverse camera (200 GBP value), new set of tires (equally 200 GBP value)
So in all instead of their 16.000 GBP asking price (thats the going price for a GT86 with the mileage it had), I paid 13.500 and an old (but good condition) Celica
Could have gotten more off, but considering the goodies they added to sweeten the deal (tank was full too) I accepted and the v40 is now my wifes car.....

As they say, you got No, but why not ask for Yes

·
Registered
38 Posts
At Volvo dealers - very much so, but as you've already mentioned it all depends on supply and demand.

When I bought mine used, this drove me towards a D2 SE. Within 100 miles, under 14K and 3 years old, there were 48 cars, of which 46 were D2s, 1 was a D3 (at a crazy price for the mileage), 0 D4s, 1 T3 ( in a spec and colour i didn't want).

I wanted an SE spec, but I quite fancied some toys - Nav, winter pack, parking sensors etc, but noticed that those with toys were priced a long way above the base spec (often more than the original option cost) and sold really quickly.

Meanwhile the base spec D2 SEs with c. 30K miles were very consistently priced around 12K and didn't seem to be selling (either that or the dealers weren't updating the selekt listings!) . A few in dodgy colours around 11.5K, a few when they first came in at 12.5K.

There were loads to choose from, so I just emailed 5 dealers with a 30K ish D2 SE in a suitable colour for 12K, and offered them 10.5K. Within a few hours 3 had offered me a figure around 11K. No devilish negotiating skills, just one email saying "i'm a serious buyer ready now and this is my price". I asked the first one to go down to 10.5K, they went for it immediately, and I thought "**** why didn't i ask for 10K". The only thing I was uncomfortable on with a remote negotiation was paying a £500 deposit for a car I hadn't seen and trusting the "gentleman's agreement" to refund if I didn't like the test drive. (It was, and still is, mint, so no issues in the end)

The salesman will usually have a "free fuel" budget so you can negotiate that out of a different pot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your positive comments and good wishes. I reckon your appraisal of the market Shovelboy, reflects the current state pretty well - and I too like the thought of a few toys over and above base models.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ended up buying from Volvo Poole. Closer to you, the Johnsons Group around Bristol/Gloucester were keen to haggle. Volvo Cardiff had some low screen prices but no joy on the negotiation. My 100 mile radius ran out just beyond Cardiff!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you again Shovelboy - our current car came from Bath and I once ventured to Yeovil for an SLK so all within my stomping ground.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I always negotiate, they can only say yes or no. But so far I have bought a few vehicles over the years with a nice drop in price, and here you always have to pay extra for roadworthy on top of the price you see, and admin. Which comes to about +-300 GBP if converted. I always ask them to include it in the final price. Not to put it extra and only then I close the deal.

No harm in trying.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I ended up buying from Volvo Poole. Closer to you, the Johnsons Group around Bristol/Gloucester were keen to haggle. Volvo Cardiff had some low screen prices but no joy on the negotiation. My 100 mile radius ran out just beyond Cardiff!
Johnsons group is a large one including both oxford and Swindon, which I have dealt with, regarding the lease of our 2 v40 lease cars in each case they gave us £500 towards the advance payment required, in fact they got us a Volvo stock car the one we have now for quick delivery from a dealer up in the north no hassle and the only dealer in 7 leases to do so, the best offer we had from the rest was a bunch of flowers for her indoors.>:)>:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts