Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering whether anyone has any inside info or details on the timing of the introduction of Volvo's new Drive-E (what they used to call their VEA engines) and their new 8-speed auto. There is already some info and reviews appearing on - of all things our Australian motoring media - but at this stage they are only covering the introduction of the new T6 (a 2.0l 4-cylinder combined supercharged and turbo charged engine) and the D4 (2.0l 4-cylinder twin-turbo diesel) for the S60, V60 and XC60.

Just interested if anyone knows specific information relating to the V40. I know there is a 2.0l 4-cylinder turbo petrol engine which will be called the T5 but no information on the timing for it finding its way into the V40. We are very close to pulling the pin on a new V40 CC T5 and just don't want to be saddled with what in 6-12 months time could become yesterdays technology.

Tony

·
Registered
155 Posts
Already looking forward to my next Volvo in 4-5 years :)

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the same boat :/ I want to buy a v40 cc with t4 awd. But i dont want to do it if they change engine/gearbox next year. Asked volvo on email but no answer yet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
There was an interesting piece + review of the new S60 by Autocar magazine and they touched on the issue of Volvo basically taking a gamble on no car having an engine larger than 2.0l or something and the technology that existed for them to make a stellar leap on other manufacturers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was an interesting piece + review of the new S60 by Autocar magazine and they touched on the issue of Volvo basically taking a gamble on no car having an engine larger than 2.0l or something and the technology that existed for them to make a stellar leap on other manufacturers.
I agree there could be interesting times ahead. I know Volvo have talked about these modular VEA engines for the last 6-12 months but now they finally releasing some details about them it really does have the potential to be what one Australian motoring journalist has described as a "game changer". One article has referred to a (admittedly qualified) 37% reduction in fuel usage between the current S60 T6 and the S60 fitted with the new T6 engine.

Basically it all revolves around having a standard 2.0l 4-cylinder engine block (its not clear whether this standard engine block is the same for both petrol and diesel). From this standard engine block, they then bolt on differing engine heads with a mix-and-match selection of single turbos, twin turbos, and - for the top of the line T6 - both a supercharger and a turbo. From this single 2.0l engine block they can make the full range of new engines from T3 to T6 for petrol engines and D2 to D5 for diesels (although the suggestion is that the new lowest powered diesel D2 will be a 1.5l 3-clyinder engine). All this means a significant reduction in production costs.

Because they are all based off the single engine block, there is the theoretical possibility of having any engine in any Volvo model - ie they could even fit the new T6 to the V40.

And this is what's making me hesitate about purchasing a V40 (or any Volvo for that matter) at the moment. For the Australian market they are talking about the new engines (and new 8-speed auto) for the S60, V60 & XC60 by March next year. Might just wait a little to see what further information comes to light over the next month or two.

Tony

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Courtesy of the Swedspeed forums, finally some information about the new Drive-E engines and new auto for the V40.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glo...owerful-lowest-emission-engine-in-its-segment

Looking at production starting from mid-year (ie for the MY15 models). For Australia this should mean arrival around October. Based on these preliminary fuel economy figures for the new D4 and T5 engines it will be worth the wait.

Tony

·
Registered
78 Posts
hope Volvo learn from VW their turbo / supercharged engine was a disaster. Even tough fuel penalty happy to stick with the old five cylinder for now :heart:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree about the new T6 engine (ie the 'twin-charged" engine). Based on VWs experience this is the one new engine I'd be a little wary off. However its unlikely to ever find its way into V40 - it will be reserved for the larger Volvos. The new T5 however is something I'm not too worried about. Its proven technology with the main difference being that Volvo are finally catching up with everyone else and adopting direct injection.

I'm looking forward to test driving the new T5 (and new auto) when it arrives downunder in the S60/V60/XC60 in March/April. The only negative about the new Drive-E engines is that at this stage they haven't been mated to any AWD. Doesn't really effect the V40 except for the V40 CC T5 AWD (which unfortunately is the V40 variant we are interested in.

Tony

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am not familiar with VW turbo/supercharger disaster. Can one of you guys explain?

Other than that, I'm really interested to see how the diesel engines will fare. Apparently, they are replacing common rail with separate pressure chambers, if I understood things correctly?

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not familiar with VW turbo/supercharger disaster. Can one of you guys explain?

Other than that, I'm really interested to see how the diesel engines will fare. Apparently, they are replacing common rail with separate pressure chambers, if I understood things correctly?
I wouldn't necessarily classify VW's experience with their 1.4l twin-charged engine as a "disaster". But it never really did live up to expectations. Often thought it was more of a marketing ploy than anything else. Complaints of excessive oil consumption (something not just limited to this VW engine), fuel consumption not the best. But still it was a bit of a surprise to me when VW quietly dropped the engine in favour of conventional turbocharged DI engines for the latest Golf VII and Polo.

With the drive-e diesels my understanding is that they have an individual pressure controller on the fuel supply to each cylinder as opposed to a single pressure sensor/controller on the common feed line. So yes, I suppose you can't call it "common rail" anymore.

Tony

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Tony. Have you made the decision then?

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Tony. Have you made the decision then?
We'll certainly be waiting for the new engines. I really love the V40 but as I'm someone who keeps my cars for a minimum 5-6 years, I want to get it right. Even conservatively, with the miles we would do in the car I'll be looking at fuel savings of $500/year (at current fuel prices) for the new T5 engine. While the V40 T5 (or V40 CC T5) is my preference at this stage, given the impressive fuel economy and performance numbers for the new D4, we may have to consider this as well at the time.

As I said above, looking forward to test driving the new engines in the S60 or V60 when they arrive downunder the next month or two.

Tony

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would be inclined to do the same in your place. I would be a little wary of the very first batches with new engines, but with all the testing they hopefully make, it should be a fairly safe bet.

---------------------

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
I believe that the new engines will be something like small miracles ... but I am also a bit wary about their displacement and the consequences. If this first batch of Driv-e engines will be at least 2000 cc, then it seems that it will be denounced by the tax system here in Greece. Anyone owning a car over this displacment has to pay the regular year tax and an extra one, called "luxurious living tax" !!! This is one of the main reasons for the downfall of the car market in Greece, making it to fall from a little less than 300,000. cars per year to less than 60,000. this last year. The V40 was a success in Greece, helping Volvo to reach sales volumes it never had reached before, but ... only D2's were sold !

·
Registered
382 Posts
Had mine serviced today and the engineer said they had been warned to expect the new V60's with the D3 engine any day. Only 99g CO2/km and 185bhp. That's a class leader apparently.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I believe that the new engines will be something like small miracles ... but I am also a bit wary about their displacement and the consequences. If this first batch of Driv-e engines will be at least 2000 cc, then it seems that it will be denounced by the tax system here in Greece..........
Ah - but that the beauty of these new Drive-E engines. They are all the same size - regardless of their power output and even whether they are petrol or diesel. All the new engines are based off the same engine block - ie D4, T5 and even the new T6. The engine bore is 82mm, with a stroke of 93.2mm giving a total displacement for the 4 cylinders of 1,969cc. The only difference between the engines is what the engine blocks then have bolted on to them. Different cylinder heads for petrol vs diesel, and varying sizes and numbers of turbochargers (and supercharger for the T6) for the different power levels.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
As I said previously...over 1929 cc you have to pay a luxurious living tax. If this is luxury....!?

·
Registered
155 Posts
All car manufacturers are quite aware many countries set taxation limits at round numbers (very often 1.6 or 2 litres). That's why you have a lot of engines with displacement just under 1.6 and 2.0, and you have no engines having 1.626 or 2.012 ccm.

Which makes it even stranger that the Greek government would set the taxation limit at 1929 ccm. Is there a particular reason?

---------------------

1 - 20 of 25 Posts