Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I own a Buick Regal as a major car.
Sold my VW Golf 2010 and looking for a replacement.
Both the V40 T5 and S60 T5 ( kinetic models ) are at the same price
Any advice will be appreciated.
1. What to choose ?
2. Will be a facelift soon to these models ?

Thanks.
Rony

·
Registered
225 Posts
Rony,

If they are the same price I would go with the larger S60. While legroom (both front and back) is much the same in both the V40 and S60/V60, you'll appreciate the 2" of extra elbow room in the S60 (and V60). Plus if its a factory order, there are more scope for desirable options available in the S60 (laminated side windows, sports seats, old style sunroof with solid blind).

That's the simple answer. Beyond that you need to ask what sort of car you are after - ie small 5-door hatch vs mid-sized 4-door sedan. While the boot in the S60 is a little larger, being a sedan the rear seats don't fold down whereas the V40's luggage space can be increased by folding down its rear seats. If you like the S60 but require a larger luggage space consider the V60. 0-100km/h acceleration is the same for both cars (6.3 sec) with the smaller V40 T5 having a slightly better fuel economy. Both drivetrains are mechanically the same.

I doubt there will be any major facelift to either the V40 or S60/V60 before the next generation models arrive. At this stage the next generation S60 is due in 2017 as an MY18 model with the next generation V40 coming probably 6-12 months later.

Tony

·
Registered
540 Posts
I moved from a 2011 Golf to V40 about a month ago... In terms of space/dimensions - the boot (trunk ;) ) is about the same depth (distance from tail) but taller.. though narrower (rear struts intrude more). When rear seats are folded the space is better/bigger than the golf as the seats fold down much better (and further).

Space in the front is about the same, but much much comfier - hard to tell about the rear seat space, but I think its a shade smaller than the Golf... No idea about the S60 - sorry - though I think they look a bit ugly, and prefer the look of the V60..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks !
Additional details , forgot to say that I want an automatic gearbox , NOT a Robotic one ,
( both v40 and s60 have the same engine and gearbox. )
The V40 has an electrical driver seat and small extras and the S 60 is "naked"....
So the major difference is car size for the s60 and more equipped V40.

·
Registered
389 Posts
A go for V40, if you can live with a little less room. As you said you have come from a golf so not much difference size wise but you may regret not havinv the toys you thought you could do without.

For example i didnt think i would need the rear parking camera, but after a couple of months so wish i had ordered it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before ordering the v40 kinetic , 2.0 turbo petrol engine , automatic 8 gearbox model , is there something / a major issue that I need to to know ? Thank you !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just do it man. It absolutely kills the Golf in every way except maybe turning circle :)
How "bad" is the turning circle?

When i test drove a few v40s i found the turning circle to be very good, obviously a test drive is not the same as everyday/real world. But i do currently have a 2003 s60 that couldn't do a U-turn on a empty motor way to save its life.
So anything is an improvement really. :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
How "bad" is the turning circle?

When i test drove a few v40s i found the turning circle to be very good, obviously a test drive is not the same as everyday/real world. But i do currently have a 2003 s60 that couldn't do a U-turn on a empty motor way to save its life.
So anything is an improvement really. :)
As I mentioned in the thread on what 3 things folks would like to feed back to Volvo a while back, I rate the turning circle as one of its very few vices given the size of the car...
A recent review published over here measures it as 11.7 metres which in isolation doesn't mean much.
When the review goes on to point out that it is only 10cm less than a Toyota LANDCRUISER it really brings it home as I consider the cruiser nothing more than a truck in a fancy suit :(
What the big attraction of driving a glorified truck in an urban environment is exactly... utterly escapes me!

I'm not sure about the UK/Europe but over here people are buying big SUV's in their thousands and I personally find the trend bewildering.
Actually requiring one to provide all weather access to an isolated property well away from sealed roads or towing a van, boat or float is one thing but as a daily driver in suburbia???
It may well be just me... But I simply don't get it :s

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm not sure about the UK/Europe but over here people are buying big SUV's in their thousands and I personally find the trend bewildering.
Actually requiring one to provide all weather access to an isolated property well away from sealed roads or towing a van, boat or float is one thing but as a daily driver in suburbia???
It may well be just me... But I simply don't get it :s
Alot of people in the UK are also on the truck/suv thing what with the new range rover evoque and discovery sport having cheap entry models and the nissan qashqai being super cheap anyway.

Saying that, my mums 2007 Jeep Grande Cheroke has a better turning circle than my s60 lol And in her defence she goes off-roading in it aswell as using it as a day to day car.

But im sure the v40 steering and turning circle will be far superior to my s60.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the S60 2.5T and S40 T5 engines are similar but I believe the S40 engines were re-packaged to get them to fit into the engine bay and to maintain crash worthiness (I seem to recall the engine block is 5mm shorter).

The S60 T5 engine is very different from the S60 R - the T5 is a 2.4l HP Turbo whereas the R is a 2.5l HP Turbo with CVVT. I have a 2001 S60 & a 2003 S40... They are both great cars & fun to drive....The S60 does have more passenger room & definately heavier than the S40. I find the S40 is quicker & has a quieter engine than my S60, I guess I would go with the S60 because of its size, roominess & safety....Its all up to you.... Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts