Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long the car ignition will stay on without the key in it? For example if I turned the ignition on to stage II, started the usb download and then left the car unlocked having removed the key?

(The engine won't start until the key's back in the ignition)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long the car ignition will stay on without the key in it? For example if I turned the ignition on to stage II, started the usb download and then left the car unlocked having removed the key?

(The engine won't start until the key's back in the ignition)
I think its about 20mins

I updated mine this afternoon took an hour and a half, just nipped out to the car every 15mins or so on the drive and bashed the start button to reset the infotainment cutout. (Left key in)

Smooth update all done in less than 2 hours

15mins or so to download (17.8gb) 15mins to copy to USB and hour and half to install

not expecting much difference but always worth having the latest maps

The upgrade did not delete my 1000 stored POIs for work locations so all good there as well

·
Registered
648 Posts
I can't find my 32gb pen I bought last time specifically for this job!

:(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gotta love my broadband speed. :dodgy: I should add this has been going 3 hours..:mad:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Keep meaning to update mine but keep forgetting! and I don't have a USB drive.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have just finished the download.

Do you think it is useful to offer the fully loaded ready to just plug into the car 32gb sandisk pen at cost price on here? Like a simple PP transfer or Bank transfer and I'll post it?

Maybe useful to someone who does not have a 32gb stick, or decent download speed?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the same memory stick as sdp there. Mine took longer to download than I would have liked, but was quicker to install in the car than I had expected.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have just finished the download.

Do you think it is useful to offer the fully loaded ready to just plug into the car 32gb sandisk pen at cost price on here? Like a simple PP transfer or Bank transfer and I'll post it?

Maybe useful to someone who does not have a 32gb stick, or decent download speed?
A dealer will sell you a memory stick with the map update on if you aren't able to download it. Your stick would probably be cheaper than a Volvo one though (I think they are about £20).

·
Registered
303 Posts
It seems those of us with a MY13 model where you needed to use a DVD/PIN update method can now update the maps using USB as long as you've brought your car in to Volvo for a Sensus software update - see here:

NOTE: Maps can only be installed after you have visited your Volvo dealer for a Sensus software upgrade.

·
Registered
303 Posts
wondering how much this is going to cost...
Do you think it will cost anything? I thought they updated the car software when you get something fixed or when it goes in for a service. I guess if you bring it in for this alone there may be a cost for workshop time?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Do you think it will cost anything? I thought they updated the car software when you get something fixed or when it goes in for a service. I guess if you bring it in for this alone there may be a cost for workshop time?
I think the 'free software updates during a service' only applies while the car is in warranty. If it's older than 3 years or you haven't bought the extended warranty I think you have to pay for non-essesntial software updates (it should cost less during a service though as the car is already hooked up to a VIDA terminal).

Regarding the map updates, I wonder if the software update for the multimedia system is to load the 2014.5-on Sensus Connect version of the OS and software for the IAM and ICM modules, or just the HERE Navigation software module? I know that HERE have ceased new registrations for the DVD-based map update service, so it may be they have updated their software for the older Windows Embedded-based Sensus system so they no longer have to produce DVD-based updates.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts